Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 3:07pm

Style: TKD & HKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Monkeypoo8762's BJJ Tourney Vids

Last weekend (Saturday March 2nd) I competed in the US Grappling NC State Championships in Wake Forest, NC.

I had three matches, two no gi and one gi, and came out of it with three submission wins.

Here is my only gi match. I'm in the white gi. I accidentally knee my opponent in the face when attempting to break his grip with my knee. Then I make a poor attempt at a baseball choke before popping up.

One of my no gi matches is next. I'm wearing the blue and yellow Scramble rashguard.

Here is my last match, no gi again. WARNING: my opponent was wearing "Ranger shorts" and did not have them tied properly, so there is a little bit of man-ass when I shoot for a takedown about a minute in.

Obviously I'm happy with my overall performance. All of my matches went the same route, secure the takedown/top position, pass to mount, finish (or get swept then finish). Everything looks so simple when I rewatch it, and I'm not sure if I should step up to the Intermediate No-Gi division or not. The last two times I have competed in Novice and am 3-2 in that division.

I'd love to hear some critique and/or advice on what I can do better next time and some things I should train more.

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 4:54pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeypoo8762 View Post
    Last weekend (Saturday March 2nd) I competed in the US Grappling NC State Championships in Wake Forest, NC.

I had three matches, two no gi and one gi, and came out of it with three submission wins.

Here is my only gi match. I'm in the white gi. I accidentally knee my opponent in the face when attempting to break his grip with my knee. Then I make a poor attempt at a baseball choke before popping up.

One of my no gi matches is next. I'm wearing the blue and yellow Scramble rashguard.

Here is my last match, no gi again. WARNING: my opponent was wearing "Ranger shorts" and did not have them tied properly, so there is a little bit of man-ass when I shoot for a takedown about a minute in.

Obviously I'm happy with my overall performance. All of my matches went the same route, secure the takedown/top position, pass to mount, finish (or get swept then finish). Everything looks so simple when I rewatch it, and I'm not sure if I should step up to the Intermediate No-Gi division or not. The last two times I have competed in Novice and am 3-2 in that division.

I'd love to hear some critique and/or advice on what I can do better next time and some things I should train more.
    Hey man, good effort, nothing too much to say about the vids right now.
    Edit: watch your base in half guard, that appears where you're getting swept or off balanced the most, a lot of your weight appears to be going out and over the guy when you have your head on the opposite side to your free leg. The other time you had your free leg too close and had no base as the guys sweeps you over the controlled arm.

Watch your base and weight in mount. Twice guys did the same thing and threw you off. Should work on just getting a nice smooth transition to side mount with your foot in their gut as they do that big HURHGHH push you and turn. Sets up the arm wrap/arm triangle/arm bar/ezekial from back really nicely.

Nice of the guy to gift you the mount from the running shorts dude you versed.

Lol at teh buttz. But not nearly as much as the Miyao brothers videos on Youtube, hahaha. There seems to be a NEED for buttz in their vids.

You looked pretty relaxed, was that the case?
    Last edited by Mr.Miyagi; 3/07/2013 4:59pm at .

Posted On:
    3/08/2013 1:23am

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.
    1) Learn the triangle! (Grab your shin, not your ankle! - Get proper angle - learn how to curl your leg then you don't have to pull on their heads to finish)
    2) when in guard and your opponent is trying to posture, pull on the crown of their head, break the posture and then climb your legs for armbars and triangles/omoplatas
    3) Do not, i repeat, do not give up top/mount for a sub, if they try to upa out, let them roll on their stomach and take their back

I like your drive, keep working at that, dominance all the way through! Congratulations on the wins.

PS: I think you should stay in the division for another few matches and when you worked on those points, go up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 2:58pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Competed again a few weekends ago at US Grappling 100 in Richmond, VA.

Won 6 out of 7 matches, all of them except one in Absolute divisions.

No-Gi Absolute Match 1

This was my first match of the day after missing weight the night before and waiting around all morning. I think I controlled my adrenaline dump pretty well, although I panicked a little when he had double underhooks in the beginning.

No-Gi Absolute Match 2 (finals)

This guy was a monster. He won all his other matches by taking the other guy down, passing, then sitting in side control. I kept trying to arm drag him, but I think my angle was wrong and I wasn't committing. I managed to not lose points after he took me down, but I couldn't finish the triangle or armbar. Pissed at myself for basically giving up at the end though. After the match I asked him how much he weighed and he said 335!

White Belt Gi - Super Heavyweight

My only gi match in my weight class. I struggled to pass his guard and missed a few opportunities to finish. Won by advantage, but I think I had a few opportunities to score points from passing and taking his back if I maintained position. My gf's phone freaks out at the end, but it is right as time gets called and I win with 1 advantage.

White Belt Gi - Absolute 1

First absolute match. I outweighed this guy by a lot. It is pretty obvious that was a huge advantage once I got top position.

White Belt Gi - Absolute 2

Still a good weight advantage here. Spent a lot of time stuck in half guard, but once I took mount I felt confident. Need to work on maintaining position though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 3:00pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    White Belt Gi - Absolute 3

This was the same guy from my first mach in nogi. He was not happy to see me again. This one went pretty much the same as our first match together, except I finished with a straight arm lock this time.

White Belt Gi - Absolute Final

Finals match, winner gets a gi. I was super pumped going into this match, it was literally the last match of the day (they were rolling up all the other mats behind us lol). Everyone was exhausted, but I managed to capitalize early with the takedown then lose top position after I failed at knee-on-belly. I need to work on movement while keeping proper grips. His arm popped a little at the end, which is why I turn away. I feel bad about that, but I almost had an armbar in my weight division match and didn't crank on it enough to finish so this time I went harder.

Overall I'm super happy with my performance but I definitely have a few areas to improve on:

Standup in general
    Maintaining position
    Recovering from sweeps/position changes quickly
    Proper weight cutting

Next competition is in two weeks, I'm just going to weigh in as is and see how it goes.

Any advice/criticism would be greatly appreciated!