Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 7:30pm

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you stand?

In terms of stand-up fighting, there are many ways you can place your hands in a ready guarded manner. (In groundgame too, but I'm more interested in stand-up as it's seems to be more preferential than situational)

I'm curious, how do you all place your hands? Elbows out, fists at the temple-level Muay Thai style? Or tight around the chin with elbows tight peek-a-boo style? Why do you use that instead of other placements? Are your hands clenched, relaxed, or opened? Are they facing outwards like a MT boxer, parallel like a Boxer, or inwards like a drunk Irish man? Is the far hand above (some Karate), below (some Wushu), or the same level (Most fighters) as your closer hand?

How about your feet? Sideways to your opponent like TKD? Squared up like a Chunner? Slightly askew as a UFC/mma fighter? Or slanted like a boxer (and Anderson Silva)? Why?

Note: Doing a quick search, I didn't find any polls or real explanations on your stance. (Just general "Keep my hands up" kind of things. I did find some on Boxing stance variations, but they compared only Boxing stances to.. well, Boxers.)

I personally keep (or I should say, kept, since I'm going into Judo now) my hands right below eye level at each cheek, elbows down to cover the ribs, southpaw if I'm jabbing, orthodox if I'm going for a takedown, with a higher stance that allows for more footwork and agility at the cost of some power (I drop my weight to deliver stronger strikes).

I'm a little weird in terms of the southpaw. I learned how to ride a scooter, skateboard, and snowboard goofy-footed first, but am right hand dominant. Maybe a reversed stance (Opposite hands and feet forward.) But that's just silly.

Edit: How are your eyes looking? Peripheral? Tunneled in? At their shoulders or face?
    Last edited by Cuddles; 3/02/2013 7:37pm at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 12:06am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hung Ga:

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/03/2013 12:10am at .

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 1:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=2&theater

I move around.

The funny thing we are both lefties.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stand in a southpaw boxing stance with my hips and shoulders level, parallel to the ground so as to balance and maintain my low center-of-gravity. I bend forward slightly at the waist, elbows tucked in, chin down, with my power hand (strong side) to the rear, lead hand guarding my front.

My knees are slightly bent, relaxed and loose; shuffling, never crossing my feet and shifting my weight between left and right foot. I look forward (watching the eyes) from the top of my eyes (again, chin down).

When I throw higher kicks, I tend to drop my lead hand slightly and recover when retracting the kick. When I throw lower kicks, I tuck and bend at the waist a bit. I don't switch between orthodox and southpaw regardless if I am punching or setting up for a take-down or choke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 2:46am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I stand in a southpaw boxing stance with my hips and shoulders level, parallel to the ground so as to balance and maintain my low center-of-gravity. I bend forward slightly at the waist, elbows tucked in, chin down, with my power hand (strong side) to the rear, lead hand guarding my front.
    Do you stay low as you fight? I tend to start high so I can have lighter feet and play along until an opening in which weight drops and harder strikes commence.
    My knees are slightly bent, relaxed and loose; shuffling, never crossing my feet and shifting my weight between left and right foot. I look forward (watching the eyes) from the top of my eyes (again, chin down).

When I throw higher kicks, I tend to drop my lead hand slightly and recover when retracting the kick. When I throw lower kicks, I tuck and bend at the waist a bit. I don't switch between orthodox and southpaw regardless if I am punching or setting up for a take-down or choke.
    Is there any particular reason why you shift left and right instead of bouncing up and down? (I used to bounce but now I'm left and right cause it felt more comfortable)

And it seems like your head is tucked in. That's to protect against face shots correct? Do you slip a lot? What you describe reminds me of Mike Tyson's head positioning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 2:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=2&theater

I move around.

The funny thing we are both lefties.
    Great video!
    I notice that your hands are at cheek level but when you tuck up, your hands go to your temple. This seems to work because whenever you did that, your opponent couldn't land a clean shot to your head. Is having your hand there better than just starting up at your temples like MT fighters?

Your rear hand seems to be very close to your face. Is it better to defend like that? Perhaps for a check, but if it's that close won't the hit penetrate through your hand?

I thoroughly enjoyed the sparring video (and watched it 4 times). I should videotape me sparring sometime and post it up for critique, though it's been a while.

How are you bouncing? It's hard to tell from the video but it looks up and down?

Is there even a difference if you're bouncing up and down or left and right?

I'm thinking about redoing my entire fighting stance now.

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 7:53am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boxer's stance (feet) is the same to a clock's dial pointing to 1 and 2 . If you step forward with a wide step your lead leg should be up to 4 even to help break your forward momentum without slipping.
    when you walk down a steep hill you don't point your feet forward, cause you will slip for sure, same reason. It helps with getting in and jumping back quickly. It will interfere with kicks though.
    Also when boxing, especially if you are shorter, leaning or crouching forward is better for counter punches and slips. your hands when in striking distance should cover your jaw. It is best to place your second\middle knuckles on your cheek bones, (second from the finger nails). If you are not in close range, and planning on slipping a punch rather fight from the outside, your hands should be in a more neutral position, shoulders relaxed and elbows free hanging close to your ribs, front hand neck level rear hand chin level, it is easier to attack from this position, and there is still a barrier between his hands and your face.

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 3:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Great video!
    I notice that your hands are at cheek level but when you tuck up, your hands go to your temple. This seems to work because whenever you did that, your opponent couldn't land a clean shot to your head. Is having your hand there better than just starting up at your temples like MT fighters?

Your rear hand seems to be very close to your face. Is it better to defend like that? Perhaps for a check, but if it's that close won't the hit penetrate through your hand?

I thoroughly enjoyed the sparring video (and watched it 4 times). I should videotape me sparring sometime and post it up for critique, though it's been a while.

How are you bouncing? It's hard to tell from the video but it looks up and down?

Is there even a difference if you're bouncing up and down or left and right?

I'm thinking about redoing my entire fighting stance now.
    A lot of what I say I will do doesn't last through the reality of being punched. In theory my hands are tight and high all the time.

And I shouldn't be pawing at punches like I do.

The right hand should be tight and sort of resting tucked into the body. Cocked an ready to go.

Sideways makes my head harder to hit. Tkd make bouncing work almost everybody else will get slapped by their coach for being silly.

Pulling your hand away from your face is a big risk. You have to be absolutely sure you can get to the shots thrown after that first one you have stopped.

My coach is tricky and will pull his hands away a lot.

I try it and eventually eat unapposed shots. My counter to tricky is tighter and better classical boxing.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 3/07/2013 4:00am at .

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 4:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For big hits and elbows I do sometime ball up my fist glue it to my forehead and wear the shot that way. I can eat some power hits like that

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2013 6:59am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work in three different ranges:

At long range I keep a sideways stance, taekwondo style. Gets me the best reach on my kicks, and allows me to throw spinning back kicks without telegraphing too much. I'll switch my forward leg occasionally for deception and for some specific kicks.

Mid-range I switch to an orthodox boxing stance, with my right hand at my chin and other far from my body, peppering my opponent. I won't change out of orthodox.

Close range I'm working on peekaboo.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast