Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Squat Machine

So right now I run at the gym 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri). I am looking to replace one day of running with squats, yes replace due to my schedule. There's a gym at my school, but the open hours blow hard and pretty much the only days I would be able to use it would be Tue and/or Thur which won't give me the 24 hours I'd like for muscle recovery between workouts. The gym I run at has something like this:

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1360616080092.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  14.7 KB

I've used these type of machines before to do squats at gyms in the past; my question is do these type of machines allow you to work every muscle that you would in a regular squat?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 8:09pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. They don't. It stabilizes the entire bar for you so you aren't stabilizing yourself through the movement. Plus, if forces a particular bar path.

While its probably better than doing no squats (assuming your are squatting with good form so you don't **** up your knees etc) it isn't the same as squatting with a free barbell.

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 8:12pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smith Machine is its name.

As mentioned, it does not work your core stabilising muscles, which is kind of the reason for a squat.

Better than nothing, but definitely not the best.
    Last edited by battlefields; 2/11/2013 8:13pm at . Reason: Errant apostrophe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 10:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Squat Machine

****, I was afraid of that. Thanks guys.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 10:37pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditto to what others said. The main benefit to this machine is that it can act as a spotter. A squat cage is a better choice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 11:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't remember if the rack at school has a cage or not. One of my friends is resting from a hernia, but when he gets better I can go to his gym, I know they have one.

I was thinking about, on my squat day, to start with a brisk 10-15 minute jog, lower half of Super Squats workout (1 set of 20 reps, add 5 lbs every time you lift), then a cooldown like the warmup.

Any critiques on this?

Edit: I'm trying to work a little extra stuff in there so I'm still burning a fair amount of calories. Should I stick to squats or maybe add some extra exercises? I'm not on anything or taking supplements, just eating food.
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 11:50pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to ask one of the most asked questions of this subforum:
    What is your goal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I don't remember if the rack at school has a cage or not. One of my friends is resting from a hernia, but when he gets better I can go to his gym, I know they have one.

I was thinking about, on my squat day, to start with a brisk 10-15 minute jog, lower half of Super Squats workout (1 set of 20 reps, add 5 lbs every time you lift), then a cooldown like the warmup.

Any critiques on this?

Edit: I'm trying to work a little extra stuff in there so I'm still burning a fair amount of calories. Should I stick to squats or maybe add some extra exercises? I'm not on anything or taking supplements, just eating food.
    Depends what your overall goals and the rest of your routine is. Super Squats is a very hard workout (at least from my reading of the old school routine) and can quickly lead to over training if you are not giving your legs sufficient time to recover.

You warm up with a light 5-10 minute jog/cycle, a few sets of free squats then move on to the squat rack. For cool down, very light cardio for a few minutes then stretch and have a protein shake.

Again, I would need to know what your training goals are to see if this is really the best routine for you.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 12:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My goal isn't to get huge, I just want to do a decent amount of reps at decent weight. It's kinda hard to explain. I want to get stronger, not bigger; I want a strong core for when I start grappling/throwing again.

In the context of Super Squats as a whole-body workout, I was going to do a modified version (Bent over row, dumbbell press/bench press, shoulder press, squats); so it shouldn't be as taxing on my body as the full workout or alternate program. Though as I said, if there are any areas in the lower body the squats alone are missing or not hitting as hard as they could be hit, I would be open to add to the workout.

Edit: I was worried about overtraining my legs due to the running. Would it be as bad if I had to run the day before? eg Run Mon, Squats Tue, Run Fri

Edit2: When I start back MA training, I'll be at most training twice a week and will probably sub another running day, and the training days would be limited to Thu and/or Sun unless I hit striking on Friday, but that one is not a priority for me. These are both just hobbies for me.

Edit3: This is my after workout meal:

It has a good amount of carbs as well.
    Last edited by itwasntme; 2/12/2013 12:40am at .
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 6:09am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is a super squat?
    Also, i found that lunges are a great supplement for squats.
    Try Randy Couture's grappler's circuit.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast