Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 1:44am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lessons learned from traditional MA

My martial arts path really started with WTF Taekwondo. And over the years, I've found certain deficiencies in my TKD training and bad habits I picked up from sparring semi full-contact for points. I've learned that a lot of traditional martial artists find a sort of cognitive dissonance with classical or sport training and some of the realities of fighting. That being said, I've found that there were lots of important benefits from my TKD training that I wouldn't trade for the world. And some of them have nothing at all to do with fighting. What are some of the lessons from your traditional martial arts training that you'll never forget?

I'd like to add that I've posted a very similar thread in the Korean TMA forum. I deliberately reposted it here because I'm curious about what sort of different answer I may get. I don't want just Korean MA fanboys answering my query.

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 1:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn to grapple in an alive setting cause strip mall karate doesn't work to well in a real fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 1:59am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's "traditional" (ancient oak beams and wisened masters with cocks of iron and deadly feats of awesomeness) and then there's traditional (wannabe fucknuckles glossing over their inadequacies on the pretext of "honouring" something or someone that they don't understand).
    Bottom line? traditional arts can teach you discipline and body movement, but so can anything you do - its all in the turning up and listening.
    Best thing I learnt from traditional arts is "be polite when its warranted but ONLY when warranted, don't cockgobble" and "don't be afraid to question anything - your instructor is not some omnipotent know-all".
    Funny how these two things are often seen as confrontational in many TMA, yet common sense in places that encourage alive training and no bullshit.
    That being said, I'm lucky to have trained at a couple of good TMA dojo. Also trained at a few lousy ones too.
    Best thing I learnt? I'm responsible for my own training. Its my own fault if I feed the delusion.

(On the flip side, if I find something awesome, more fool me for not taking it and running with it)
    Last edited by traversnz; 2/05/2013 2:08am at . Reason: added in something at bottom - its not all anti TMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 2:20am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because my first experience was with a school that emphasized competition, I learned a lot of discipline from the method of training my first instructor had. So when I try to learn a new physical technique (martial arts or otherwise), I know how to break it down and how to drill the technique with variations. I think that line of thinking has helped me a lot. There were a lotta bad habits I learned as well, but that's not what this post is gettin' at.

I also thank my TKD training for my flexibility and kicking ability. I know a lotta other styles offer the same, but those benefits came to me via my TKD class and thus that's what I've got to thank for it. When sparring/competing/fighting I have noticed that I rarely encounter someone who has superior kicking technique or kick defense. Although, the flip-side is I run into a lotta people who can wrestle or box better than I can.

Non-fighting benefits? My school taught breakfalls as well, and living in Wisconsin I've used those more often than I've been in fights, it seems. **** ninjas, what about icy sidewalks?! I'm also grateful for the confidence it gave me through my teenage years and as a young adult. I even learned basic fitness as a kid from my Taekwondo class. No physical education class in high school would've taught me those stretches and training drills.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 2:40am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    best thing i learnt from traditional karate was after i bashed a guy who was bigger than me and a brown belt in the karate dojo i was training at (I was green or something)- that i should train something that actually works

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 2:53am

Style: lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    best thing i learnt from traditional karate was after i bashed a guy who was bigger than me and a brown belt in the karate dojo i was training at (I was green or something)- that i should train something that actually works
    Does this same lesson apply to little kids? When I was in tae kwon do as a 5th grader (in South Korea, no less, but on an Army base) I beat up black belts all the time. And I in turn got beat up all the time by lower belts once I made red or junior black or however far I ended up getting. I don't count any of that towards experience anyway. It turned me off of martial arts for a while. When I discovered Muay Thai and BJJ as a young adult I learned what it means to get smacked around by a higher rank.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 2:55am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well iwas a kid when it happened...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 3:25am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned that a herd can be a safe place, or it can trample you. I learned that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I learned that some will always be chickens no matter how loud they squawk and flap. I learned that some dog's bark is worse than their bite, but sometimes a loud bark is enough. And I learned that animal analogies are better for fanciful descriptions than fighting strategies.

I learned that a good horse stance is the foundation to a good horse stance.

I learned that progressive martial artists can be just as sanctimonious and dogmatic as the traditional artists they scorn (not that this excuses anyone).

I've learned that when a student moves on to pursue training elsewhere, its not a dojo failing- its a dojo that's instilled the proper attitude of excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yimchaloi View Post
    I've found that there were lots of important benefits from my TKD training that I wouldn't trade for the world. And some of them have nothing at all to do with fighting.
    Would you care to elaborate?
    Last edited by Permalost; 2/05/2013 3:47am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 5:35am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Lessons learned from traditional MA

Is there anything useful you learn in TMA that you don't learn in modern, progressive MA? I think most competitive sports will teach the same lessons better and with less bullshit. Today I'd prefer to engage two years in competitive soccer than to waste my time in aikido as I did. And I hate soccer btw.

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 5:48am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best part of your post:

"Semi full contact"
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast