Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 7:05am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Talk to me about bicycles

Oh hi.

So because I'm poor and it sucks paying like 100 per month to take public transport I've gone ahead and bought myself a bicycle to commute to work (10-15 mins) and gym (20 mins)

Only problem is, I haven't ridden since I was about 8 years old and I have no idea wtf I'm doing.

Anyone commute regularly on a bike? Any advice on how not to get killed in traffic?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 7:33am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marvel at my beast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	290708_4361926648458_2068251571_o.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	14408

To answer your question.

Cycle helmet and gloves !

Hiviz jacket or cycling shirt is a must

Lights for low light rides (The HID type work best)

Good all round situational awareness

DO NOT LISTEN TO MUSIC - you'll loose your concentration

Remember to LIFE SAVER - look over your shoulder before manoeuvring

Become fully familiar with your bike and practice before deciding to hit the rush hour traffic.

Learn your routes and learn where "bail out" routes can help you cut the busiest roads out of your journeys.

ALWAYS play it safe and ride defensively,

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 7:35am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Name:	A-car-passenger-punching--011.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	14409

Just see it as a way of complementing your current training regime.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 7:48am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post due to server issues.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 7:48am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    Just see it as a way of complementing your current training regime.
    I have a pair of carbon fiber reinforced cycling shoes and have kicked the doors/sides of at least 3 vehicles who's drivers were either fucking idiots or were being intentional cunts.

On the last occasion I got stopped by the police - the driver had reported me from his car and I was unfortunate enough not to be close enough to home. Anyway, the copper asked me if I'd kicked the car, to which I responded that I had. This was due to the fact that the car had almost cut me off, leaving me with less than a foot of space between the car and the pavement, I started to loose control and brought my feet off the peddles to help stabilise my balance.

The copper agreed that this reaction would be entirely understandable and reasonable.

I explained that in regaining control I accidentally made contact with his nearside door and additionally shouted at the driver to raise his awareness of my presence. I immediately noted that the driver was being visually aggressive with me (hand gestures) and therefore decided it wouldn't be good judgement to stop and discuss the matter. My intent was to get home and call the police and report the matter.

I then went on to explain that given the dynamics involved, the only reasonable way I would be in a position to make contact with a moving car in such circumstances were, if we were far to close together and, that the risks involved to my safety would be significant.

The copper took a statement and I heard nothing again.

The driver had a royal fucking dent in his door !

Name:	396910_4286315558228_1568087146_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	14410

:-)

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 8:22am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More power to your elbow / reinforced foot, sir.

Did you see the documentary on BBC that photo came from? The guy in the white shirt throws a strong candidate for "worst punch of the 21st century", despite only being 13 years into said century.

I've pretty much had to stop cycling to work here, if I put a dent in someones door I'd soon be on the wrong end of an angry mob.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 8:42am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Did you see the documentary on BBC that photo came from? The guy in the white shirt throws a strong candidate for "worst punch of the 21st century", despite only being 13 years into said century.

I've pretty much had to stop cycling to work here, if I put a dent in someones door I'd soon be on the wrong end of an angry mob.
    Unfortunately no, I didn't see the program although I can appreciate how tensions can mount.

I don't commute to work a great deal now since leaving the forces, that said, I have done so and, I rarely take the direct main road routes despite the alternates taking up to ten minutes longer to ride. Indeed, changing the subject. My next supplement to my current training regime is to start running to work - that has an entirely different set of risks LOL.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 8:42am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Unfortunately no, I didn't see the program although I can appreciate how tensions can mount.

I don't commute to work a great deal now since leaving the forces, that said, I have done so and, I rarely take the direct main road routes despite the alternates taking up to ten minutes longer to ride. Indeed, changing the subject. My next supplement to my current training regime is to start running to work - that has an entirely different set of risks LOL.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 9:27am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys.

I'm commuting in fairly non-central areas (Willesden/Wembley/Harlesden), so it shouldn't be too bad. The council also offers a safety course for 5 which I'll probably do.

I plan to take it easy this month and relearn to ride etc before I start commuting properly.

Also I tend to wear steel-toed safety boots everywhere, so any boot-to-door contact will hopefully go in my favour.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/28/2013 9:40am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Also I tend to wear steel-toed safety boots everywhere, so any boot-to-door contact will hopefully go in my favour.
    Just remember that what you look like and how you portray yourself to any copper will have a lot of impact on the outcome of what you say.

If it's clearly obvious that you're not some pavement bike warrior who's looking at his every opportunity to pull tricks, that you're wearing the right kit and ride a half decent bike, then it's more than likely you'll get away with it however, look like, sound like and act like a dick on a bike, expect the outcome to be different (regardless of how justified you feel in your actions.)

~Ella Wheeler
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast