Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 6:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do video (and get the most benefit to your training out of it)

Hi all,

Lately I've started bringing my camera into training and recording the randori sessions we have at the end of class. I just put the thing on a bench, aim it at the mats hit record and then forget about it. Later on when I'm at home I'll watch it through once or twice and make a few mental notes about what I did wrong and right, and what changes I need to make.

There are a few things I've noticed in the video - some of them old problems I knew about, some of them new things I hadn't thought about. Also I'm trying to add some new throws to my repertoire, and it's nice to be able to see what happened when an attempt succeed or failed.

Anyway, this brings me to my question. Does anyone here put much emphasis on using video? Do you have any recommendations on how to get the most out of it? What do you record - sparring, drilling, something else? Any tips on set-up, analysis, or keeping records?

EDIT: Could a mod put a question mark into my title please? Right now I suppose it could be interpreted like the thread is supposed to give instructions, instead of asking questions.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 1/19/2013 6:23am at .

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 8:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really looking for a critique of my performance in the video. I'm looking for advice on how to use video.

If it would make a difference I could post some just to show the kind of stuff I'm recording, but the problem is that I don't know how everyone else in the class would feel about being on the internet.

(Also for some reason I've recorded in super high rez and getting it online is a pain in the arse.)
    Last edited by CrackFox; 1/19/2013 9:20am at .

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 10:51am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, on further consideration, the above post sounds like I'm being evasive, and considering how recent threads where people won't post footage have gone, I guess I'd better post something.

Here's a sample from three separate nights. I'm the bald guy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHiNyF-6z4
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yetzMwk64
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=logOgtehzxk

EDIT: Can't get these to embed properly for some reason.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 1/19/2013 10:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 12:16pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never used video but I would be recording both sparring and drilling so that you can critique both and get others to critique both. Seeing yourself drilling a move could point out flaws in technique as well as showing you how you are changing your movement pattern in sparring as opposed to drilling.

I would also show the video to people more advanced then you as they could point out issues you might not even be aware of.

Are you just recording on a digital camera? I have been considering doing this for a little while so I am curious.

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 12:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Are you just recording on a digital camera? I have been considering doing this for a little while so I am curious.
    Yeah, I just flash the thing about at the start of class, and ask if anyone has a problem with recording stuff. Then I put it back in my bag and once everyone forgets about it, I stick it in the inconspicuously in corner and hit record.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 12:37pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Yeah, I just flash the thing about at the start of class, and ask if anyone has a problem with recording stuff. Then I put it back in my bag and once everyone forgets about it, I stick it in the inconspicuously in corner and hit record.
    Sweet, have you run into any issues with battery life?

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it's a still camera and video is a secondary function - battery isn't great. Also it's limited to 20 minute long files, so if I want to take any more I need to start it up again. I don't think my coach would be thrilled if I kept fiddling with the camera during class, which is why I just do randori.

Posted On:
    1/21/2013 4:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well today didn't work out great. I forgot to clear the SD card I was using, which combined with the fact that I forgot to switch off the default hi-def settings, meant that the thing cut out. Twice.

On top of that, there were people standing right in front of the camera half the time that it was running.

Also I got a bit of a telling off for messing with the camera when I should have been lining up for randori.

Anyway, it doesn't look like anyone has much more to say about the actual use of video, so I may as well throw the floor open for critique of my actual judo technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 12:32pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any way for you to have someone who is maybe resting for a bit recording you while doing randori? The very few times I've had people record my sparring, I felt that it was better to have someone holding the camera and being able to change angles and get closer etc. to get a better look at everything later.

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 4:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's usually at most one guy resting each round, so they'd have to change over each time. Also it kind of makes it very obvious the camera is there, and I don't think the coach would like that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast