Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 1:52pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Obama's Gun Legislation Push: The good, the bad, the ^&$$(!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/16/politi...tle/index.html

OK. Lets kick this off.

Universal background checks? Sounds reasonable.
    A better background check system? I can handle that.

AWB a la 1992 debacle? It has no chance to pass, yet it's still in there. Is this his "punching bag" measure so the other stuff will seem more palatable, or does he really think this will work?

His own party has no confidence in the ban, but Obama speaks as if it is a sure thing. What does he know that we don't?
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's the president he is supposed to speak as if it is a sure thing. All he is doing now is keeping the gun prices high. Honestly, uh oh, I could careless if they ban certain assault weapons. Honestly, there are certain guns that need to be military only.

I wanted one, but I could never argue why I needed a Mossberg Semi Auto 12 ga. street sweeper. Still, I say control, to the point of idiocy, who purchases a gun not what type of guns are sold.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:16pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/16/politi...tle/index.html

His own party has no confidence in the ban, but Obama speaks as if it is a sure thing. What does he know that we don't?
    The National Guard is being assembled in secret as we speak to track down all weapons and complete the communist takeover of the nation?

I think he's just doing what a president does. The legislation is in there to make it seem like he gave it his best shot, and the language of the background check changes. goes in despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the NRA and conspiracy theorists.

Living in MA, with our state gun laws, this affects me very little.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:21pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just wondering what the strategy is.

There are at least 12 democratic senators in conservative states that are now in a very ugly spot. Supporting the ban will kill their re-election chances, but not supporting it will cost them significant political capital.

I think the AWB is a ploy to keep the pressure off the other legislative goals and to paint republicans as obstructionists who want to kill babies. Now, the Senate can put forth the measures sans AWB to look more "reasonable," and protect their colleagues in vulnerable states. This forces the Republicans to support the "reasonable" stuff or look like said obstructionists who want to kill babies.

edit: I am not a republican nor do I resemble one.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:25pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I agree, it is a simple ploy.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to be widely accepted that nothing will have any success at preventing "the next one." This is all just security theater, a chance for Obama to puff up big and make it look like he's "done something." When the next tragedy comes, it will be excuses about how he couldn't legally do enough or there wasn't enough time or money to implement the things he wanted to.

In other words, he's already set to blame Congress (looks like Scrapper beat me to it).

I'm a little irked about the whole deputy doctor thing, but it's really nothing new.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    It seems to be widely accepted that nothing will have any success at preventing "the next one." This is all just security theater, a chance for Obama to puff up big and make it look like he's "done something." When the next tragedy comes, it will be excuses about how he couldn't legally do enough or there wasn't enough time or money to implement the things he wanted to.

In other words, he's already set to blame Congress (looks like Scrapper beat me to it).

I'm a little irked about the whole deputy doctor thing, but it's really nothing new.
    That's the way it has worked for the decades I have been alive for anything. Bush did the same thing with 9/11.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    That's the way it has worked for the decades I have been alive for anything. Bush did the same thing with 9/11.
    Yep. I hate politicians.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 2:57pm

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Obama's Gun Legislation Push: The good, the bad, the ^&$$(!

I am in agreement; the AWB/hicap ban are the sacrificial lamb conservatives can publicly slaughter in order to pass the rest of it which has not only wide public support but apparent support amongst even tgose conservative leglislators who will need the cover come primary season.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zero new laws are coming. If Obama can't do it with exec order, it ain't happening. Doubtful anything will pass the Senate. Certain nothing will pass the House.

We'll probably be fucked ten or twenty years from now. Sooner or later Democrats will control all three branches again and it will be a sad day for gun owners. And we'll end up with a power shift in the Supreme Court most likely. But for now, they can't do a damn thing except token measures.
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast