Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do YOU think Aikido Sucks??

Alright, I'm not trying to set up a kumbaya session for all of the Aikidokas or anything, but I really honestly want to know why everyone hates Aikido. I just started Aikido, so I'm pretty much to be counted as clueless, but seriously, what is the reasoning behind all of this talk of "Aikido sucks" or "Aikido isn't applicable" or even "Aikido is for fat lazy buns who see it and automatically gravitate toward it because they think they can do it!". I'll be honest with you. I probably, well, definitely, would have done Judo if it was offered in my area, but I came around to really appreciate the idea of Aikido.
    So what's all this talk of negativity when it comes to the "lame cousin" in the martial arts family? Why, in your experience, do you think Aikido sucks?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:12pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomplemousse View Post
    Alright, I'm not trying to set up a kumbaya session for all of the Aikidokas or anything, but I really honestly want to know why everyone hates Aikido. I just started Aikido, so I'm pretty much to be counted as clueless, but seriously, what is the reasoning behind all of this talk of "Aikido sucks" or "Aikido isn't applicable" or even "Aikido is for fat lazy buns who see it and automatically gravitate toward it because they think they can do it!". I'll be honest with you. I probably, well, definitely, would have done Judo if it was offered in my area, but I came around to really appreciate the idea of Aikido.
    So what's all this talk of negativity when it comes to the "lame cousin" in the martial arts family? Why, in your experience, do you think Aikido sucks?
    Do you have a blackbelt? Not in Aikido, in anything else.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why, in your experience, do you think Aikido sucks?
    I don't.

I do however think you suck.

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:35pm

Style: bjj/judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See you can appreciate the "idea" of aikido all you want, this does not make it an applicable mechanism for self defense.

The main ideas behind "style bashing" on bullshido is "does it work?" and "can you train with resistance?"

Aikido fails both of these tests. If your goal is to get off the couch and get the blood flowing, maybe your club is fine. However, if you are taking it for a self defense purpose, you'd be better off running a couple of miles everyday(actually, if your goal is to get off the couch and get your blood flowing, running is probably a better alternative for that too).

What it comes down to is that aikido relies on too much mysticism and hakama envy, and not enough quantifiable evidence of it working to help defend against assault.

I trained in Daito-Ryu aikijitsu, and while from what I've read it was a better school than most, it still left me woefully unprepared for when I finally got into real grappling(judo & bjj).

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Do you have a blackbelt? Not in Aikido, in anything else.
    No sir, I do not

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks ;D you too

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a million different threads about all the nuanced reasons that bullies don't like aikido.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:48pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No sir, I do not
    Then in truth Aikido sucks for you. Aikido was never designed to teach beginners and you have no foundation to be able to use it. I use Aikido principals all the time but I'm also a blackbelt in several different systems.

We here pretty much think any dogmatic approach to a martial art pretty much sucks. Especially when the system is 95% theoretical and conceptual.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the question is flawed. Sucks at what? Depends on what you are taking it for, how you train in it, and what you hope to get out if it. I've used Aikido techniques in law enforcement that worked very well.

So please simplify the question.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:51pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I think the question is flawed. Sucks at what? Depends on what you are taking it for, how you train in it, and what you hope to get out if it. I've used Aikido techniques in law enforcement that worked very well.

So please simplify the question.
    You suck.
Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast