Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 10:20am

Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

EDC knife thread

Hey guys,

I hadn't seen a thread about this. I probably got too lazy and decided, **** it. Merge it, Trollshido it, etc, if there is one already.

I am curious to see what everyone's EDC knife is. I always have one on me, as it proves to be quite useful throughout my day. So what do you got for me? Tell me what it is, why you chose it, how you carry it (tip up/tip down) and how often you practice deploying it in an situation. This goes for LEOs, Military personnel and civilians.

I'll start.

I lost my favourite folder last week, a CRKT M16 and needed to find a replacement. After looking at the offerings from my local Dicks and Sports Authority, I didn't see anything I liked. Too many knives made with cheap steel and semi-serrated edges. That and I like American Tanto style blades.

The only knives that I saw that may be good was the Cold Steel Recon 1 and AK47 line, but the local head shop that sells them wanted $130 a knife. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??!?! I shouldn't have even gone there because they tried selling me a KA-BAR Tanto for $150.

I finally made it down to the gun shop where I got my CRKT and looked to see what they had. I was looking to spend about $80USD for a decent folder and they have never failed to disappoint on that front. Their gun and ammo prices are a totally different story, but that is another thread. I look through what they have, which is limited since Sandy demolished the store, and I see they started carrying Benchmades. I know BM makes great knifes, but I didn't see any with a tanto that I liked. They were either too small or had a combo-edge. Then my eyes fell on this beauty.

Benchmade 551 Griptilian

Now, I am not a fan of clip-points or drop points, but the fact that this one had a plain edge and a sweet colour combo (OD Green with a black blade), I had to fondle it a little bit. This knife is a fast deploying, lightweight knife. It is only available to carry point up, but it can be switched from right side carry to left side. I don't mind, as that is how I carry all of the folders. I ended up paying $90 for it. I have seen the same knife for anywhere between $90 and $125 on internet sites, so I feel like I got a great deal on it.

I do practice with it, but not as much as I would wish. I will be doing a tactical folder class with the guy who is doing the carbine classes as neither one of the arts that I study have ANY kind of knife work in it.

Next purchase will be a custom Griptilian with a black tanto blade and desert sand scales similar to the CRKT I lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 10:40am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be partial to Emersons for their toughness, but I've gotten tired of the stupid "wave feature" they put on most of their knives and I've grown to hate the chisel ground blades they're so fond of because they're great for punching through a skull, but they suck at everyday cutting tasks.

Over the last couple years I've become more of a Benchmade fanboy. This is my current everyday knife and it's my favorite knife ever:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/940

I love this knife like one of my children. It's the ****. It looks different. I call it the Green Goblin (like the comic book character, duh) because of the green and the purple back spacer. The reverse tanto blade is just badass looking.

It cuts great. It's very light. It opens like fucking lightning. It's not what I would call a combat folder, for sure. But it's a great knife for everyday carry.

I don't really practice deploying it, except of course when I have to attack a pesky plastic ring on a six pack. I rely on my boomstick for self defense. I can't recommend this knife enough, though.

I first found the knife on one of Nutnfancy's long winded reviews, if you're interested in hearing all the details.

Last edited by Devil; 1/10/2013 11:18am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My folder is a S&W SWAT knife. I've been looking to buy a cold steel folder with a tanto blade. I have a fixed blade cold steel tanto and I love it. It's my favorite knife, but I don't carry it every day. The knife I train with is almost identical to it. Whe I get a cold steel folder, I'm going to get a folder trainer to play with too. I've been waiting, because Cold Steel is coming out with a new line right now that are cool.

Oh and their knives are being sold online by walmart now. Go figure!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 11:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Devil - It was actually his knife videos that had me looking at BMs to begin with. The Osborne is a gorgeous, but the 275 Adama was what I really wanted. Then I saw this.

I was drooling, then I saw the price tag. >.<

@Diesel - I EDC'd an S&W SWAT for a long time. I still have it, but because the blade doesn't hold an edge for ****, it has been relegated to a backup of a backup. I do like the Cold Steels knives, but since they lost the license to to Axis lock (Ultra Lock in Lynn's lingo), I haven't been impressed. I prefer a liner lock as opposed to the back lock, but that is my personal preference.
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 1/10/2013 11:11am at .
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    @Devil - It was actually his knife videos that had me looking at BMs to begin with. The Osborne is a gorgeous, but the 275 Adama was what I really wanted. Then I saw this.

I was drooling, then I saw the price tag. >.<

@Diesel - I EDC'd an S&W SWAT for a long time. I still have it, but because the blade doesn't hold an edge for ****, it has been relegated to a backup of a backup. I do like the Cold Steels knives, but since they lost the license to to Axis lock (Ultra Lock in Lynn's lingo), I haven't been impressed. I prefer a liner lock as opposed to the back lock, but that is my personal preference.
    Yeah, I sharpen mine a lot. Eventually I'll file the whole blade off of it!! Yeah, I haven't found one of their new folders that is exactly what I want. I'm thinking about the voyager. I know some people who have them, and they like them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cold-Steel...Knife/19336566
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 11:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a great price. CS has a bigger tanto version but it's $75.

http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/29T...LAIN_EDGE.aspx

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 11:31am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Name:  Remix-Fine-Edge-1.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  11.1 KB

I carry the Gerber Remix for EDC. I love the finger hole & the stability it gives, plus, it just feels right for a lot of kali.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Name:  Remix-Fine-Edge-1.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  11.1 KB

I carry the Gerber Remix for EDC. I love the finger hole & the stability it gives, plus, it just feels right for a lot of kali.
    How does it feel to deploy it? I read a few reviews on it saying that the action is a little stiff and can get a little gritty.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The knife I carry the most and for the longest is a CRKT Crawford Kasper folder.

I've had it for at least 5 years now. Solid blade design, solid metal frame, secondary lock, and comfortable secure grip in foil, ice pick and hammer grips. Opens easily with one hand in forward or reverse grips.

Used to have a Spyderco endura. Spyderco is very good about making an ergonomically friendly knife that you barely feel in the pocket, and you can turn their thumb ring into a simple wave action with a cable tie (now their newer ones have a little wave thing built in).

I often carry a daypack around that also has a Leatherman tool.

Also used to carry a Cold Steel Voyager, with 5 inch blade. Was a great knife, very light and unobtrusive for such a big knife, good blade geometry and kept very sharp, but whenever I took it out to do utility tasks I'd get weird looks from people. The Crawford Kasper folder is about as big as you can carry for utility without raising some eyebrows, for some reason.
    Last edited by Permalost; 1/10/2013 12:22pm at .

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Permalost - The secondary lock was one of the many reasons I like the CRKT knives. Always solid, even when I was batoning with it. I know that's a no-no with a folder, but it took a beating! I even took it completely apart, sanded and repainted the scales and the liners. It was still solid. I miss that knife.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast