Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 7:46pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Begginer Boxing Question, Southpaw?

So due to my new college class and work schedule I would only be able to make full contact Karate Classes once every other week. And seeing as how I am still rather new at it I figured it would be more practice to just switch to a style/gym where I could train more regularly. So I am making the big switch to boxing.

Here's my question/ problem. In judo I have always lead with my right foot and hand forward because I am right handed. So it seems like a good idea to me to try and learn boxing as a southpaw so that when I do do any form of mixed martial arts sparing my feeble brain doesn't explode or I have to switch feet every time I try to throw. Am I over thinking this?

Thought, comments, or just friendly tips for picking up boxing are also welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2012 11:39am

Style: Judo, occasional boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting question that i have been wondering about as well. My search-fu was not able to deliver a good answer till' now.

I have very limited experience in boxing, so my input is indeed to be taken with a grain of salt, but for what it's worth:

First: maybe this question should be moved to the "Basic and Misc. Fighting Technique Discussion"-forum?
    Second: You mention MMA - sparring. If this is ultimately your goal and you are trying to get more well rounded, i would say give southpaw a try, MMA-type boxing and boxing vor boxing seem to be quite different animals beginning with stance.
    Maybe observing what olympic judoka that made the switch to MMA did, could help. Ronda Rousey, Yoshida and Akiyama come to mind here...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2012 1:31pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been waiting on this since I'm not a boxer, but when I was cross-training with boxers to better my skills over all I came to this conclusion.

I am mostly right leg forward when I spar with weapons, except for the longsword and the spear. This made me think that I'd be a good south-paw fighter, which ended up being false. It simply didn't carry over for me, as my face learned pretty quickly. But what did carry over was shift-punching\square-gating from left leg forward into south paw, and then recovering into a left leg forward stance again. There is a lot of passing steps in longsword fighting so I figure that shift-punching is something of an extension of the way I fight with longer weapons, as opposed to the more right-side oriented manner of fighting with the walking stick and dagger.

So perhaps that may ring true for you as well, in that your primary method of fighting will override the second (my longsword fencing overrode my stick fighting). Only way to find out is to train and spar, and see how your body goes along with both stances.

Posted On:
    12/29/2012 1:33pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you are at a striking range you usually step inside anyway for a clinch and than a throw, so you can end with your right leg leading.
    There is a serious advantage in fighting south, you are harder on your opponents etc. I'm sure you know all that. But, unless you are ambidextrous to a point it will be slow progress. Start learning as you want, and switch from time to time until you decide.
    If you want to compete especially MMA you will have a need to be able to fight in both stances anyway.
    But for a quick progress ,you need to choose one stance and stick to it for a while (learning the basic techniques) before you start learning the other.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi. I'm here to answer your question. Sorry about the delay.

Your idea is a horrible one. Don't make yourself a southpaw to match your judo. Learn how to fight with either leg forward.

Good day.

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 5:55am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

Your idea is a horrible one. Don't make yourself a southpaw to match your judo. Learn how to fight with either leg forward.

Good day.
    I completely disagree with you.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:10pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I completely disagree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

Good day.
    So I am tempted to listen to south paw's advice since the majority seem to be with the I am an idiot for considering south paw and I should stick to fighting righty school of thought. But I am kinda curious for an explanation by sang on his his disagreement with southpaw.

A few of the boxing instructors including one who fights are south paws so the training part of it wouldn't be a barrier if I did decide to go that route. Though from what I have been hearing even though I have alot of experience leading with my right foot my progress would be slower if I did choose this.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing wrong with being a right-handed southpaw, lots of extremely good fighters are this way. If it feels more natural due to your Judo training and your coaches are OK with it then I don't see any reason why not.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being a right-handed southpaw, lots of extremely good fighters are this way. If it feels more natural due to your Judo training and your coaches are OK with it then I don't see any reason why not.
    Jerome Le Banner for example

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 8:04pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short on time so will make my reply short.

1) if you train all your striking with left foot forward and all your grappling right foot forward you are going to telegraph every time you intend to go for a takedown.by switching stance.

2) Southpaw stance offers a slight advantage in a striking match.

3) there is nothing wrong with having your power hand lead.

Seriously half the southpaws in the UFC are right handed and the majority of them crossed over from wrestling. This isn't a new topic.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon