Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 8:39pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MSG induced obesity?

So I watched a documentary, honestly a pretty bad documentary about nutrition and diets, here is a clip:

Yeah, sorry to expose you to that. Anyway, it turns out that according to google the part about mice being induced into being obese via msg is true, but I'm not sure about the repercussions fore people. MSG is in a lot of processed foods, and glutamates occur naturally in the human body. I was wondering what the experts opinions are on this, and if there is something the movie is hiding, such as if it only works if they inject the mice and not feed it to them, or if maybe the feed the mice what would be the equivalent to a kg a day for a human. Because so far my favorite way to prepare pork tenderloin is to cover it in seasoning salts containing MSG, and baste it in bacon fat and red wine, and serve it with collard greens.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 11:49pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    my favorite way to prepare pork tenderloin is to cover it in seasoning salts containing MSG
    and are you obese?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 12:24am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    and are you obese?
    My BMI is 28.5, overweight, although the BMI isn't so helpful for those who are taller than average (6 feet, 210 lbs). I have probably more fat than I should but it doesn't show a lot on my frame, but as I get older I think more and more about getting really slim. Anyway, was just wondering what the expert opinion on this forum is as I know there are about 4 or 5 contributors who are scientists in this forum (and why), and I was wondering if MSG is something that I should be really avoiding.

I had been previously under the belief that all the anti-MSG stuff was just hysteria, that MSG could produce short term side-effects in some but no valid scientific long term effects.

I have decided that its probably best to try and cut out aspartame because it might have bad effects on the liver and brain (although that is still a contended issue that the jury is still out on), and am now thinking that maybe I should apply the same principle to MSG.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 5:45am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can generally take food scares (and 99% of science scare stories) with a pinch of salt. Or Gourmet.

As you rightly said, we produce our own glutamate. It's also found in pretty much any food with a savoury taste:

Free glutamate content of foods (mg per 100g)
    roquefort cheese 1280
    parmesan cheese 1200
    soy sauce 1090
    walnuts 658
    fresh tomato juice 260
    grape juice 258
    peas 200
    mushrooms 180
    broccoli 176
    tomatoes 140
    mushrooms 140
    oysters 137
    corn 130
    potatoes 102
    chicken 44
    mackerel 36
    beef 33
    eggs 23
    human milk 22
    Given the fact that nobody's telling us to stop drinking tomato juice or grape juice, you can probably stop worrying about how you season your pork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2013 11:38am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MSG may be a very different form of glutamate than what occurs naturally, but it has been my understanding that there have been a **** ton of studies saying how safe it is since there was so much hysteria about it. I believe the same is true of aspartame since there was so much hysteria, people started testing it hysterically and found it to be super safe.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/21/2013 1:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I feel fat when I eat too much Panda Express...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2013 7:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pics?