Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: yoga/bodyweight mainly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vikings

So I'm watching Swamp People when a commercial comes on for a show coming out in March on the History Channel called "Vikings".

I am very excite for this!! Between this and Double Divas I don't know how much studying I'll be able to get done.

Well, this show starts on like March 3rd and I know there are others here have an interest in Norfolk so I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread in anticipation of this, surely to be, amazing and informative program.

:boner:
    Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 9:50am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The History Channel is garbage. I've often sat seeing how many historical inaccuracies I could find in any one of their "informative" programs.
    I guarantee that they will use the term Viking incorrectly throughout most of the program for instance. The Vikings were seaborne raiders. Not every Scandinavian was a Viking.
    Sorry for the rant. I just really, really hate the "History" Channel.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 10:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead View Post
    The History Channel is garbage. I've often sat seeing how many historical inaccuracies I could find in any one of their "informative" programs.
    I guarantee that they will use the term Viking incorrectly throughout most of the program for instance. The Vikings were seaborne raiders. Not every Scandinavian was a Viking.
    Sorry for the rant. I just really, really hate the "History" Channel.
    No, I get where you're coming from.

I'm just hoping for the best since it is about Vikings. I'm not exactly sure from the commercials what the show is going to be like, though. it could be a "documentary" or be more like "The Hatfields & McCoys".

I have been trying for the longest to find the old History Channel shows on Vikings where their disappearance was discussed.
    Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 11:14am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Vikings didn't 'disappear'. The Vikings were not a distinct people, to 'go Viking' was an activity, a career. Norse people who sailed around killing and pillaging were Vikings. But not all Norse individuals can rightly be called 'Vikings'. People stopped being Vikings because of societal changes. Obviously upon converting to Christianity, anybody can understand that sailing around and butchering innocent people is wrong. That's why people stopped being Vikings. Saying "the Vikings disappeared" is like saying "hippies disappeared." The people who used to be hippies didn't mysteriously die off, unfortunately, they simply stopped being hippies because it was no longer convenient.
    I wish that during the 60s there would have been Vikings to chop apart all of the hippies and other scumbags. Sadly, this was not the case.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 11:54am

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Vikings didn't 'disappear'. The Vikings were not a distinct people, to 'go Viking' was an activity, a career. Norse people who sailed around killing and pillaging were Vikings. But not all Norse individuals can rightly be called 'Vikings'. People stopped being Vikings because of societal changes. Obviously upon converting to Christianity, anybody can understand that sailing around and butchering innocent people is wrong. That's why people stopped being Vikings. Saying "the Vikings disappeared" is like saying "hippies disappeared." The people who used to be hippies didn't mysteriously die off, unfortunately, they simply stopped being hippies because it was no longer convenient.
    I wish that during the 60s there would have been Vikings to chop apart all of the hippies and other scumbags. Sadly, this was not the case.
    I live in the part of England where the Vikings ruled for about 12 years till the Saxons claimed the land back and the Vikings just chose an settled as excepting Saxon rule. The village I can from used to be a Viking camp on the river so I share the interest on all thing Viking.

The Vikings that settled in England came from denmark i believe and only settled for about 12 years or so they occupied most of the east if England. Interestingly some Viking made it to Northern France and then became the Norman people who then went on to invade Britain under William the concorer (sp) and made it what it is today although most of the English language is influences by the Saxons and the French.

There's alot of bs sounding the Vikings tho but the documentary should be interesting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 12:16pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off topic but... Vikings:
    http://www.vikingfighting.com/

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scandinavian pirates; "Men of the Fjord".

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 2:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Vikings

I know, I wasn't trying to debate what Vikings may or may not be. Depending on your source the opinions on that could differ.
    Start a training log!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 2:57pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Vikings were a bunch of pussies before they got Adrian Peterson.

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 3:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You fucking shithead, the "History" channel?
    Hahahahahahaa...

You know, if you go get that sanitation job, you might eventually be able to take a vacation to Denmark and visit the http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en/
    and the
    http://ribevikingecenter.dk/da/forside.aspx
    instead of sitting on your ass and watching some bullshit on tv.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast