Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For the TKD'ers: Favorite Poomse/Hyung?

Just what it says in the title: what's yer fave form, folks?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ge-Baek

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pal Jang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tae geuk or Pal Gwe?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Tae geuk or Pal Gwe?
    Palgwe.

Chang Hon or ITF?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chang Hon, the ITF way is rediculous. You actually like Pal Jang? I like Chil Jang sooo much better. As for the Tae Geuk forms I learned them and then lobotomized myself. Those things are the most asinine forms I've ever seen.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    You actually like Pal Jang? I like Chil Jang sooo much better. As for the Tae Geuk forms I learned them and then lobotomized myself. Those things are the most asinine forms I've ever seen.
    I should clarify, I don't particularly enjoy these forms. It was easier for me to perfect Pal Jang, therefore I liked it better. I haven't practiced any of them since the early 90's, so I would really suck at any of them now.

I also agree that the ITF way is ridiculous.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've never heard me go off on the Tae Geuk forms. I told a room full of "Masters" that who ever came up with these forms knew exactly jack **** about martial arts and should be stripped down to a white belt and forced to take Aikido.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choong Moo. Gotta love that feeling you get when you know you could kick someone off a small horse.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno. I tend to both agree and disagree, Omega. The Taeguk forms serve a very limited and specific training purpose. I agree that they are sterile, lacking a lot of aesthetic, lacking a sense of realism, etc... tons o' issues there. But if we look at it as a simple teaching tool, a way for beginners to practice a few moves at a time, then I don't see it as being that bad. When someone doesn't know what a walking stance is or how to throw an outer block, then I think the Taeguk are great. It helps prepare the student for what he'll end up learning in class. I mean, you gotta know the names of movements, how to stand at attention, what certain commands mean...

I think if we look at the Taeguk more along the lines of push-ups or a simple conditioning tool, then I think they serve that purpose. I still will sometimes practice a few at a very slow pace to work on strengthening certain muscles or to work on balance or whatevs. When I was younger I remember we would practice our forms at a slow pace with 8-12 lbs weights in each hand. Doing this stuff doesn't make me a better fighter, but I think it's contributed at least a little bit.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last