226092 Bullies, 4185 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 23
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. judokarl is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Durham NC
    Posts
    140

    Posted On:
    12/18/2012 1:03am


     Style: Judo & BJJ

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Judokarl's Competition Videos

    I figured I would upload some more vidoes for general critisims and for everyone's viewing pleasure should have alot more coming soon seeing as how I just started getting active again after coming back from an injury.

    Going to start off with some Fottage from a local Judo tournoment in Cherokee NC. It was hosted by Yellow Hill Judo club. I competed in 3 divisions Open,90kg-100kg, and over 100kg. Took place in January of 2012

    I got second in the 90-100kg Losing to a Black belt in the final round, Only got 2 videos from that one from one of the judoka at my dojo as the camera was being used to film other matches during the rest of the time.


    Round 3. I won by ippon via tiatoshi


    Round 4. I won by a counter I don't really know the name for it.


    Round 5 I loose by Uchi Mata wish I had the clip so I could get some feedback on it.

    100kg
    Lost my first match by ippon Seo Nage



    Lost my second match by Uchi Mata

    Open division was single elimination and I lost my match by submission via armbar.
  2. blackmonk is online now
    blackmonk's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    884

    Posted On:
    12/25/2012 9:43am

    supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Round 4 was an uchi mata counter to his kosoto gake. Pretty common counter for anytime someone makes an outside hook, even with their arms, like if you were sparring a wrestler and he went for a single-leg.
  3. judokarl is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Durham NC
    Posts
    140

    Posted On:
    12/25/2012 11:58am


     Style: Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Round 4 was an uchi mata counter to his kosoto gake. Pretty common counter for anytime someone makes an outside hook, even with their arms, like if you were sparring a wrestler and he went for a single-leg.
    Thanks for the help with naming the throw. I was confused if it still was since I didn't lower my hips or get any lift with them.
  4. blackmonk is online now
    blackmonk's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    884

    Posted On:
    12/25/2012 2:08pm

    supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Re: Judokarl's Competition Videos

    It very well could be called something else, but that's what the judo guys here would say.

    Naszir would know better than me.
  5. judokarl is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Durham NC
    Posts
    140

    Posted On:
    12/28/2012 10:44pm


     Style: Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not competition video per say but Since I have been drilling this throw for the past few months in anticipation of a tournament coming up on January 13th I figured I would post the video of me drilling it now get some feedback then post the video of me scoring with it from the tournament. So here's what I have so far


    And I will post again when I manage to get it at the next tournament I go to.
  6. BKR is online now
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,578

    Posted On:
    12/29/2012 5:52pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judokarl View Post
    Thanks for the help with naming the throw. I was confused if it still was since I didn't lower my hips or get any lift with them.
    It's still a form of Uchi Mata regardless.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
  7. BKR is online now
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,578

    Posted On:
    12/29/2012 5:56pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judokarl View Post
    Its not competition video per say but Since I have been drilling this throw for the past few months in anticipation of a tournament coming up on January 13th I figured I would post the video of me drilling it now get some feedback then post the video of me scoring with it from the tournament. So here's what I have so far


    And I will post again when I manage to get it at the next tournament I go to.
    I can't really see what you are doing with your right hand. Although you are doing a form of Kouchi Gari, it's kind of a "hook and bulldoze" version of the throw.

    That tatami you were on was horrible for any sort of moving, ifyou can try it on a smoother surface, you might want to work some back and forth movement into it.

    Overall, if you keep relying on the power grip, the seoi nage guys (as in one of your matches) will eat you alive. If you do do the power grip, make sure not to lean your weight into uke, or the inevitable seoi otoshi will happen, and get good sleeve control as well. All uke has to do to negate the power grip with you leaning in is to shift to his left a bit and turn, which then puts all your weight forward and hence "off balance". If you push uke away with your lapel grip like that they may well be able to step off the throw. Try to get uke head back instead of pushing him a way.





    Ben
    Last edited by BKR; 12/29/2012 5:59pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980
  8. judokarl is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Durham NC
    Posts
    140

    Posted On:
    12/30/2012 5:00pm


     Style: Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I can't really see what you are doing with your right hand. Although you are doing a form of Kouchi Gari, it's kind of a "hook and bulldoze" version of the throw.

    That tatami you were on was horrible for any sort of moving, ifyou can try it on a smoother surface, you might want to work some back and forth movement into it.

    Overall, if you keep relying on the power grip, the seoi nage guys (as in one of your matches) will eat you alive. If you do do the power grip, make sure not to lean your weight into uke, or the inevitable seoi otoshi will happen, and get good sleeve control as well. All uke has to do to negate the power grip with you leaning in is to shift to his left a bit and turn, which then puts all your weight forward and hence "off balance". If you push uke away with your lapel grip like that they may well be able to step off the throw. Try to get uke head back instead of pushing him a way.





    Ben
    First off thanks for the reply! The tatami situation is temporary till we finish setting up in the new gym we just moved into. Our Durham dojo has nice mats so I will try to follow that advice and do some more back and forth moving drills with it. As for the gripping, thanks for the advice as to the grip. I will try to start doing the throw with more of a traditional lapel grip and less of a power grip see if that helps prevent me from getting thrown with seoi nage as much.
  9. judokarl is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Durham NC
    Posts
    140

    Posted On:
    2/25/2013 1:13pm


     Style: Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its that time again as I upload more videos of me at judo tournaments and you guys tell me what to do better. This is from Tennessee Judo State championships. I am blue.
    I look forward to your advice all the help I have gotten from this website has been very helpful.


  10. BKR is online now
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,578

    Posted On:
    2/25/2013 5:58pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judokarl View Post
    Its that time again as I upload more videos of me at judo tournaments and you guys tell me what to do better. This is from Tennessee Judo State championships. I am blue.
    I look forward to your advice all the help I have gotten from this website has been very helpful.
    A couple of things.

    Standing: A big part of throwing people in Judo is to be able to detect the opportunity to throw. One thing that does not get drilled much (in my experience) is certain common situations (opportunities). A very simple one is what you experienced in the match.

    Uke was pushing/leaning on you pretty hard. And you just pushed back, or tried to throw him to the rear. That's a common thing, especially with beginners/novices.

    One solution is to actually drill the situation...have your uke push on you, and figure out how to sense and throw off of that opportunity. Start off with simply having uke walk towards you, then you can add in more resistance with time. Experiment with giving uke a bit of resistance to his push/shove, then turn and throw. Try giving him a bit of a push to aggressively come back at you, then turn and throw. Work on circling in response to pushing and see what you can come up with throw wise from that.

    Stop leaning on your opponent. Get your head up...

    You also need to stop shifting your grip around all the time, pull your arms in, and keep your elbows down. Begin working on some sort of process to get a usable grip. Start off with a usable grip, then have uke try to fight out of it while you maintain good posture and the grip. See what kinds of opportunity that creates for you.

    Keep working on your basics and basic throws. It takes a while, but if you persist you'll get better.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.