Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 11:28am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Sensei Assault Case Dismissed

In brief:
    A judge has criticized the Crown for gumming up the courts with minor cases and has stayed charges against a Richmond Hill martial arts instructor accused of assaulting his young students.

“The prosecution service still must do much more to effectively manage the number of cases that end up on their doorstep,” provincial court Justice Richard Blouin said in his ruling released this month.

The Newmarket courthouse judge, himself a former Crown attorney, threw out the case against Viktor Sokolovski because his right to be tried in a reasonable time had been violated.

Sokolovski, who operates the Tsunami martial-arts club, which largely caters to kids, was charged with eight counts of assault, five of assault with a weapon and one of uttering a death threat during dealings with five students.

He was accused of using physically excessive training techniques over several years.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crim...cher-s-charges

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm kinda confused. What exactly was he accused of, and why is it being dismissed for "gumming up the system"? Eight counts of assault and five with a weapon and a death threat isn't exactly a minor issue. What was the weapon?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like a fun school!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ructor549.html

An investigation led police to believe at least four boys between the ages of six and 14, who were students at the club, had been assaulted.

"We differentiate ourselves by having high levels of discipline, tougher requirements and professional knowledge," said a posting on the club's site.

Viktor Sokolovski has been charged with:

Four counts of assault with a weapon.
    Eight counts of assault.
    One count of uttering death threats.
    "Some of the students were told not to tell their parents and were not to tell the police. So there is obviously some sort of measure of fear," said Boyd. "Not only that, but these kids are taking judo lessons and discipline is involved in judo. Some of them actually might think this is part of their discipline lesson."

There are numerous pictures on the club's website of Sokoloski at martial arts tournaments. There are also some of the instructor posing with other people, including children, as they jump into icy water in the dead of winter.
    "Our club not only teaches you how to master your martial arts skills but also helps you discover your inner self," the site says.

"This includes meditation, bioenergetics and your connection with nature (as our training sessions take place in a lakeside forest environment)."

Sokolovski appeared Friday afternoon in a Newmarket, Ont., court, where he was released on $20,000 bail with conditions that he not have contact with the four students and that he surrender his firearms.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/17...ructor-charged

Tsitrin’s nine-year-old son, David, joined the club when he was three.

“He would make us work,” he said. “We’d do some laps around the whole building. Some people think that’s way too much, but I actually think it’s fun.”

Sokolovski’s lawyer Ian Shoub said his client was looking forward to ultimately being vindicated.

“These are untested, unproven allegations made by a small group of complainants and one has to, it seems, to weigh in the balance the numerous other parents who stepped forward to support him,” he said.

A woman, who identified herself as a former student at Tsunami, left the court in tears. Before rushing to her car, she denounced the charges, saying, “the truth will come out.”

The victims did not appear in court.

The website for the Tsunami Club, which had been taken down as of Friday evening, listed Sokolovski as the president of Canadian Amateur Sambo Federation and noted the club had won several Canadian and U.S. championships during the 10 years it’s been in business.

“Our aim is to develop such qualities as friendship, mutual understanding and respect for young and old alike,” the website said.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok so I don't understand, what exactly was keeping the upset students from just not training there?? Seems like a no-brainer if you don't like how they are teaching then go somewhere else. Maybe they were just expecting it to be a belt factory. I would like to add that people are fucking pussies anymore, I mean Jesus they don't even have gym class because it's too difficult.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 11:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Seems like a no-brainer if you don't like how they are teaching then go somewhere else.
    An investigation led police to believe at least four boys between the ages of six and 14, who were students at the club, had been assaulted.

"Some of the students were told not to tell their parents and were not to tell the police. So there is obviously some sort of measure of fear," said Boyd. "Not only that, but these kids are taking judo lessons and discipline is involved in judo. Some of them actually might think this is part of their discipline lesson."
    Right, because kids aged 6-14 ALWAYS know to run to an authority figure.

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Right, because kids aged 6-14 ALWAYS know to run to an authority figure.
    True he probably did manipulate them with fear, but at least they might have toughened up some unlike the sop of most ma schools that give out belts for half-ass skill. He probably went overboard with it, but I think a school that teaches a fighting art should at least have a little more Sparta and a little less in the way of catering to hurt feelings.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 11:31am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True he probably did manipulate them with fear, but at least they might have toughened up some unlike the sop of most ma schools that give out belts for half-ass skill. He probably went overboard with it, but I think a school that teaches a fighting art should at least have a little more Sparta and a little less in the way of catering to hurt feelings.
    Threatening kids as young as six? Yep, you are trolling and stupid.

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Threatening kids as young as six? Yep, you are trolling and stupid.
    I'm not suggesting he should have threatened them, that would be going overboard with it. From the article though this could be a case of hurt feelings more than assault type threats. If not then I'm sure he will get what he deserves. My only point was that in today's society it seems like any attempt to give someone thicker skin is seen as crossing the pc line. Hell most schools see pushups and being to tough for kids.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 12:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My only point was that in today's society it seems like any attempt to give someone thicker skin is seen as crossing the pc line. Hell most schools see pushups and being to tough for kids.
    WTF STrawman is this? Right because threatening kids and telling them "don't tell your parents" is toughening them up. Oh and it is the parents fault for doing daddy day care bullshit. The only way to have alone time to threaten kids is if they are dropped off. I am all for discipline, but the MINUTE any douchebag says anything like that my kids are pulled.

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 12:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF STrawman is this? Right because threatening kids and telling them "don't tell your parents" is toughening them up. Oh and it is the parents fault for doing daddy day care bullshit. The only way to have alone time to threaten kids is if they are dropped off. I am all for discipline, but the MINUTE any douchebag says anything like that my kids are pulled.
    But I'm not disagreeing with this, if that is what he did then yes it was beyond what would be appropriate. I'm not saying they should be taught by this guy.: Name:  fullmetaljacket.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  21.4 KB
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast