Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 12:46am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mambele (African Sickle Sword)

I don't think that this really belongs in YMAS, but there is no African Martial Arts sub-forum in the Traditional Arts section.

Anyway, I've been reading about African Weaponry lately (African Weapons by Werner Fischer), and I really wonder how some of these swords were actually used in combat. Here is someone demonstrating the mambele in compliant drills. Has anyone here ever seen one, or a similar weapon, used in Dog Brothers-style non-compliant training or competition?

Of course, I have no idea if this is in any way authentic mambele technique. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Enjoy

Last edited by Goldenguy; 12/20/2012 12:48am at . Reason: Video

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone here ever seen one, or a similar weapon, used in Dog Brothers-style non-compliant training or competition?
    No, but Burton Richardson (Lucky Dog) of Battlefield JKD and the Dog Brothers has done some Zulu stickfighting training:

sparring with Zulu:

Not bladework, but its not a bad place to start to actually view African martial arts with weapons. I don't know if that curved sword had technical similarities. When I saw it, I first thought of the Dothraki sword from Game of Thrones. I'll bet that the mambele was studied for this.

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 1:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Szabo knives makes a similar knife called the Battle Sickle:

Quote Originally Posted by SzaboInc
    This weapon is the result of genetic manipulations, by taking the genes of other existing implements, our team of researchers successfully spliced the DNA of an ice climbing pick, a dagger, a bolo and a meat hook. Unlike a tomahawk, limited by the size of its head, the battle sickle is one continuous blade ,allowing the weapon to slash thru instead of getting stuck . A tomahawk is head heavy and has almost the same characteristics of a hammer, making it hard to wield it like a knife, for speed .Also, the handle of a tomahawk is basically a straight slick stick, not the best grip design when you re flinging a heavy object in circular motions. The Battle Sickle is designed for ultimate grip retention , ultimate slashing power and speed for a weapon of this kind .The reinforced tip ( a great idea from Mr. Bud Nealy) makes the Battle Sickle suitable for any situation in the field, perfect tool against rifles with bayonets and other heavier weapons. Probably the best tool for battles in confined spaces.
    Guess how much they are. Give up? $800!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 1:25am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Permalost,

Thanks for your replies. The double tip of the Battle Sickle actually looks similar to the double tips of these two traditional mambele:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Afbeelding1086.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	14224

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 2:23am

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way the guy wields the mambele in the vid Goldenguy posted looks similar to how broadswords are wielded in some CMA forms I've seen.

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 2:32am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    The way the guy wields the mambele in the vid Goldenguy posted looks similar to how broadswords are wielded in some CMA forms I've seen.
    I'd say that what he's demonstrating looks more like FMA. The wrapping, checking (especially with the back of the forearm) and flowing freeform drils are typical of FMAs but not CMA broadsword.

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenguy View Post
    I don't think that this really belongs in YMAS...Here is someone demonstrating the mambele in compliant drills.
    Nope. Nothing contradictory there.

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 3:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Nope. Nothing contradictory there.
    I'd bet on a guy trained in compliant techniques with a mambele over a guy trained in, say, dim mak, any day of the week. At least the curved African sword has actually killed lots and lots of people.

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 4:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    At least the curved African sword has actually killed lots and lots of people.
    And their names would be...?

*scrolls up, sees something about "Dothraki"*

Oh. Never mind.

I never ask anyone else to do my homework for me: time permitting, I'll read Game Of Thrones on my own. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 8:23pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'd say that what he's demonstrating looks more like FMA. The wrapping, checking (especially with the back of the forearm) and flowing freeform drils are typical of FMAs but not CMA broadsword.
    I don't deny that, since I don't do FMA, but it looks like broadsword forms I've seen, and also done.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast