Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 2:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wado Ryu Karate Do

Hello. I was almost going to say that it is my first time trying out martial arts, but had to stop because I did some Shukokai stuff as a kid. Though that certainly had some direct contact sparring, I felt that it lacked variety and was not very serious, so I'm just going to say that I am taking a relatively fresh start at MA.

It took me a while to search for what's available in my area, read about all of them and apply a whole lot of skepticism. This forum certainly had some helpful topics. I finally found a Wado Ryu karate do dojo.

It turns out that it's a small organization of its own and has a slightly different symbol than what is on the wiki article on Wado Ryu. They are, however, friends to a bigger one who uses the symbol displayed on the wiki. Upon further inspecting, it seems that this organization has more of the adult people, while the other Wado Kai contains a lot of youngsters.

Sent a message to the teacher, hoping to learn more. Asked him about his sensei, sparring and other things.

The sparring thing sounded okay. He told me that they begin with less contact at the beginning and move on to more as you learn. Maybe he was saying so as to not scare me away.

The sensei who taught him came off as spiritualistic after googling him for a bit. Chi, knocking out a person with three finger movements, getting an opponent on the floor without a single punch. Sounds legit.

Another brow-raiser. When I asked why one should, at all, do katas, he replied saying that that is a very tough question. And not a word more about it. Fishy. Or perhaps he questions them, as well?

Members on the gallery... as much as I like the advantage of being the most handsome guy around and therefore being able to easily grab all the girls (if there are any), I kind of do not want to be surrounded by uglies. Not just that, they don't particularly look like they've got the tiger's eye, more like "I'm 40, weak and my life is going nowhere". As looks can be superficial, is this something to be ignored?

And again, another problem with looks. I haven't met the guy in person, but from pictures, my would-be sensei looks like something in-between fat and trained. It is rather hard to see if the person is fat or their bones and muscles really are like that. Although I don't actually care about belts, I intend to inquire more about achieving higher belts and how much cardio they involve.

The cost is 15 euros per month, with each week having 3 lessons, meaning I’d get 18 hours of training for every 15 euros, which sounds reasonable. That I was told I could attend lessons for free until I feel that it’s for me was even more encouraging.

I’m thinking of following that advice and seeing if I can get to spar within 3 lessons. If this stuff really works and they kick my ass with it, then I can be sure it’s worth the money.

One thing I simply could not find during my two days of searching for all available info was the technique. Well, not quite true. I did find a some books and DVD-s, all available for $$$. Nothing for free and I guess I'll have to patiently wait until first class if I don't want to throw money away, not knowing if I'd get anything good in return. Can anyone find direct me to any material or some criticism on Wado Ryu technique?

I'll be going in in a few days and I wish to know at least a thing or two about technique before-hand. I'll also come back and give an update on my experience.
    Last edited by HomelessPuppy; 12/09/2012 2:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 11:21pm

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HomelessPuppy View Post
    Members on the gallery... as much as I like the advantage of being the most handsome guy around and therefore being able to easily grab all the girls (if there are any), I kind of do not want to be surrounded by uglies. Not just that, they don't particularly look like they've got the tiger's eye, more like "I'm 40, weak and my life is going nowhere". As looks can be superficial, is this something to be ignored?
    Yes.

Dumbass.

Posted On:
    12/10/2012 2:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arskanator View Post
    Dumbass.
    Hahaa, I suppose that is a straight-forward thing for me to say.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2012 5:18pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your OP is all waffle. Easy habit to get into on the internet. We're all guilty of it.
    You're also in the wrong forum. This is where you present legitimate claims of perceived fraud. Suggest you post in the "traditional styles" area
    Couple of simple questions:

1) What do you want to get our of your training?
    2) Why?
    3) Does this place help with 1) and 2)?

Only you know the answers to 1) and 2) - give us your opinion on 3)

(And yes, without even visiting the place and relying on unknown people, you are a dumbass)
    Last edited by traversnz; 12/10/2012 5:21pm at . Reason: typos

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 2:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I visited the place today, but since I now know I'm in the wrong place, I'm going to talk about my experience in the other forum.

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 3:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Wado Ryu experience

Alright, so I originally posted this in the wrong forum so I'm going to copy-paste the previous stuff in here:

Hello. I was almost going to say that it is my first time trying out martial arts, but had to stop because I did some Shukokai stuff as a kid. Though that certainly had some direct contact sparring, I felt that it lacked variety and was not very serious, so I'm just going to say that I am taking a relatively fresh start at MA.

It took me a while to search for what's available in my area, read about all of them and apply a whole lot of skepticism. This forum certainly had some helpful topics. I finally found a Wado Ryu karate do dojo.

It turns out that it's a small organization of its own and has a slightly different symbol than what is on the wiki article on Wado Ryu. They are, however, friends to a bigger one who uses the symbol displayed on the wiki. Upon further inspecting, it seems that this organization has more of the adult people, while the other Wado Kai contains a lot of youngsters.

Sent a message to the teacher, hoping to learn more. Asked him about his sensei, sparring and other things.

The sparring thing sounded okay. He told me that they begin with less contact at the beginning and move on to more as you learn. Maybe he was saying so as to not scare me away.

The sensei who taught him came off as spiritualistic after googling him for a bit. Chi, knocking out a person with three finger movements, getting an opponent on the floor without a single punch. Sounds legit.

Another brow-raiser. When I asked why one should, at all, do katas, he replied saying that that is a very tough question. And not a word more about it. Fishy. Or perhaps he questions them, as well?

And again, another problem with looks. I haven't met the guy in person, but from pictures, my would-be sensei looks like something in-between fat and trained. It is rather hard to see if the person is fat or their bones and muscles really are like that. Although I don't actually care about belts, I intend to inquire more about achieving higher belts and how much cardio they involve.

The cost is 15 euros per month, with each week having 3 lessons, meaning Iíd get 18 hours of training for every 15 euros, which sounds reasonable. That I was told I could attend lessons for free until I feel that itís for me was even more encouraging.

Iím thinking of following that advice and seeing if I can get to spar within 3 lessons. If this stuff really works and they kick my ass with it, then I can be sure itís worth the money.

One thing I simply could not find during my two days of searching for all available info was the technique. Well, not quite true. I did find a some books and DVD-s, all available for $$$. Nothing for free and I guess I'll have to patiently wait until first class if I don't want to throw money away, not knowing if I'd get anything good in return. Can anyone find direct me to any material or some criticism on Wado Ryu technique?

I'll be going in in a few days and I wish to know at least a thing or two about technique before-hand. I'll also come back and give an update on my experience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I went there. Since I thought everyone would be arriving early to ensure that they are not late for class, I, too, showed up early and was off by timing, so much that I had 27 minutes of free time. To my surprise, the others showed up late (although I think some kid was a few minutes early, maybe). There were 3 of us, not counting me. No sensei, he was on a trial or something. Two black belts, one orange kid who had been going there for 2 months.

We started off with some warm-up exercises, which is what I would expect. Then 20 push-ups on knuckles.

A little demonstration of fake sparring, one of the brown belts had a problem with his leg so I wasn't shown anything amazing.

Then the brown belt showed me some leg hits, but suggested I hit farther because otherwise I would have to be close range. Asked him if that was a good idea seeing as a long leg kick from distance would just tempt the other guy to catch my leg, pull and drag me on the floor for fun. His response was that that could happen.

Though I wouldn't do it the Wado style in an actual fight as that painful scenario might happen, I found those kicks to be a good way to exhaust yourself. I was shown an exercise where you do the kick with your right leg, touch the ground, then left, touch the ground, then right... The kid would do some, the brown belts would occasionally show me a new thing, point out a flaw, give me a hint, but they seldom did anything for a longer period themselves. Nothing that would make them sweat.

They also showed me a sidekick, which I found put me in an unstable position. It could have been my footwork, though. There was a third kick, which I can't remember and we didn't focus on it, but I think it was just a sweep.

What followed next was... another warm-up routine. I went with it, eventually got bored and started to do the kicks and touching floor again. Then I got bored of that and did the warm-up stuff to rest a bit.

Then some weird stuff. I was to take a cat stance and the way they wanted me to stand was demanding on my muscles after doing those kicks. Didn't feel natural. Went with it anyway and we were shown some punches (mid and low) and blocks. The punches were not very impressive and seemed rigid, but I could see how the blocks would guide punches away from your face, so that was definitely a plus. Some of them were closed-hand, some open and very rigid. The two brown belts showed how they would be actually used in a fight, with the open hand ones being actually grabbing the opponents hand to have more control of where it goes.

Next we got to move around, although in cat stance. Hits with 1 step forward + turnarounds when we reached the walls. Again, felt very strange to be in a stance like that, the kid who had been there for 2 months could not stay in it when the instructor stopped to point out the flaws in our stance and moving because it was obviously straining for him, as well.

One of the brown belts told the kid to get a pad for him. While he was away, I took the time to chat with them and asked how good Wado Ryu was for defence. Could it match trained BJJ guys? They told me they had some grappling and ways to get out of those locks, but the main idea was that the best defence is peace and they probably would not win in a fight with someone like that.

The boy came back and cut our conversation short. We got to kick a pad. It felt soooooo good to actually hit something, although these were the lengthy type kicks I would use only for training purposes. The boy would look away from the target as he kicked, but he was corrected on that.

It was late, the next class guys came in and it was time for us to leave.

I asked the brown belts later in the locker how long it would take to get to the sparring part. A few months.

My opinion so far...

Wado Ryu might have some applicable defensive moves. The offensive... not so much from what I saw. Would it do any good against a BJJ guy? The instructors themselves said no. Would it do any good against a random thug? Better than no experience in fighting.

Classes. The real teacher wasn't in there, so I've no idea what a class with him looks like. There definitely should be some sparring instead of just standing in an awkward position and hitting the air.

Since I can have more than 1 class for free, I'm going to attend more and see if I can convince these guys to spar. That means more feedback on this. Also going to search for BJJ or Muayi Thai class near me and cross-train Wado + 1 of those.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 4:33pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Homeless,
    Seems like you main concern is lack of sparring - is TMA right for you? Same questions apply as I asked in the other thread - what do you want to get out of your training? You're already thinking about cross-training with other arts - why don't you just do the other arts? Not meaning to be a dick, but don't know how involved your initial search was. In your first post you mentioned you looked around, and are now talking about looking for BJJ / MT ? Sounds like you may be more suited to MMA training than TMA. Tell us what you want your training for, then others can chime in. You may also want to do a "anyone know of good training in (insert area)? type thread.
    Cheers

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 5:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, my overall impression is that you're a douchebag, Homeless, & should probably shut the **** up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 5:54pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stopped reading right here:
    as much as I like the advantage of being the most handsome guy around and therefore being able to easily grab all the girls (if there are any), I kind of do not want to be surrounded by uglies.
    This is where you need to train:

This way, you won't embarrass any martial artists.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 9:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JusFOund your other thread.
    t wait until the thread is moved, there is no reason to have two.

Merged.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast