Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 11:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing gloves size?

For use in boxing and kickboxing is it better to have small glove 8oz or large gloves 18oz. Is the sizing related to the amount of protection that is offer to the sparring partener or to the hand size?
    What are the advantage and the drawback of heavier gloves? Is bad habit can come with heavier gloves?

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 11:53am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkness View Post
    For use in boxing and kickboxing is it better to have small glove 8oz or large gloves 18oz. Is the sizing related to the amount of protection that is offer to the sparring partener or to the hand size?
    What are the advantage and the drawback of heavier gloves? Is bad habit can come with heavier gloves?
    The bigger the fighters the bigger the gloves. But! when sparring, best to spar with bigger gloves so to protect your partner, also IMO because it is harder to find openings with big gloves you actually become better. I think 16 oz is good.

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 1:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    it is harder to find openings with big gloves you actually become better. I think 16 oz is good.
    interesting, didn't think about this.
    In the same way bigger glove make easier to protect/defence yourself, is it a drawback that can give bad habit?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there are bag gloves, sparring gloves and fight gloves. each is designed for a different purpose, and should be used for that purpose and not others.

sometimes people use the same gloves for bag work and sparring (those should be sparring gloves, using bag gloves for sparring is not cool.)

the glove size should depend on your weight and what gloves you will be wearing in your upcoming ring fight. your ring fight will be with 10oz gloves? go with 12oz or 14oz sparring gloves. if you don't train for a ring fight and are just a hobbyist, then spar with 14oz or 16oz gloves depending on your size and how hard you hit.

also ASK YOUR COACH, you have one, right? your style says boxing, so i hope you have a coach. your coach will know what the appropriate gloves are for your gym. if your coach doesn't care at all about what gloves you use, either you have the punching power of a fly, or your coach doesn't know what he/she is doing.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 1:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    there are bag gloves, sparring gloves and fight gloves. each is designed for a different purpose, and should be used for that purpose and not others.

sometimes people use the same gloves for bag work and sparring (those should be sparring gloves, using bag gloves for sparring is not cool.)
    My question was about sparring boxing and kick-boxing glove, sorry if it is not clear. Agree that not good to spare with bag glove and I will be not very happy to use my nice sparring glove on the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    also ASK YOUR COACH, you have one, right? your style says boxing, so i hope you have a coach. your coach will know what the appropriate gloves are for your gym. if your coach doesn't care at all about what gloves you use, either you have the punching power of a fly, or your coach doesn't know what he/she is doing.
    LOL I think I have a coach somewhere! The people I spare with usually use 14oz but he ask me if I wanted 16oz, that's kind of up to me. I figure out that the heavier the gloves will be the better the protection will be for the partner but maybe it's better for the progression to take smaller gloves and control himself more.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL I think I have a coach somewhere! The people I spare with usually use 14oz but he ask me if I wanted 16oz, that's kind of up to me. I figure out that the heavier the gloves will be the better the protection will be for the partner but maybe it's better for the progression to take smaller gloves and control himself more.
    ok, in that case my advice is to use both 14oz and 16oz gloves, depending on what you want to work on. personally i have always had problems hitting people hard in sparring (i'm too nice) so even though i am a lightweight, i would use 16oz gloves to encourage me to let my hands go.

if you have good control you could even work with 12oz gloves to work your defense, and make sure you aren't hiding behind the gloves (but you will have to pull your punches a bit to be nice to your sparring partner.

for most people 14oz are fine. guys over 220lbs (100kg) should be using 16oz or even larger. unless you're training at a high level, for a specific purpose, you usually don't have to worry much beyond that.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    12/06/2012 1:41pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW op, about your defense being impaired by bigger gloves..i don't think it matters too much. If you are on the receiving end of some hard punching they will go threw the padding of a bigger glove. Also, and more important, you shouldn't be hiding behind your guard too much, you should practice bobbing and weaving, deflecting and counter punching. You best also practice some sparring rounds where no blocking is allowed with the hands, only body movement. Oh and never use your good sparring gloves on the bags, that will shorten their lives. Buy some bag gloves for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2012 10:05pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Ming Loyalist stated, different gloves for different usage. All of my fighters and myself, all have 3-5 pairs of gloves for use with different areas of training. Typically, they have: 12oz Bag Gloves, 18oz Sparring Gloves, 6oz MMA Sparring Gloves. In addition to these, myself, My Wife, and three of my fighters, also have 20oz Sparring Gloves and 54oz Bag Gloves(no, it is NOT a typo). Bag gloves are self explanatory, except for the 54oz., these are for crazy heavy bag conditioning sessions. I want my people to not wear out in any competition, so we train heavy to help with that. The 18oz sparring gloves are for "fighter" training, in which our competitive fighters spar with each other. We use the 20oz for sparring with the regular classes, as you don't have to pull punches as much due to the extra padding in the fist. We use the MMA sarring gloves when I am allowing grappling mixed into the sparring(toooo crazy hard to roll with boxing gloves on, even though we do it on occasion).

1560 DeAnza Blvd San Jose, CA 95129, United States

Posted On:
    7/04/2013 8:30am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many drawbacks of heavy gloves. They can harm the fighters very much. So, always avoid to use these kind of gloves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 12:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference between 18 ounces and 8 is massive! Your best bet for all-round sparring gloves will be in between. I go with 14 ounce gloves, but you could choose 16 if you're big and strong or maybe 12 if you're a small guy.

The bigger the glove the less your partner will hurt when you hit him, basically. However, a bigger glove will also make it a bit easier for you to block his punches.

The ounce count tells you the amount of padding and won't depend on your hand size, no.