Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 12:48pm

Style: bjj, sca, armored combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Battle of the Nations Team USA national practice/tryouts in Springfield, Il next week

Te team that made history is ramping up it's preparations for returning to Europe next year. The national tryouts/practice/publicity event is happening in Springfield, Il next week.

http://www.usaknights.org

Lst ear we did not have enough to field a full 50 man team, so basically everyone who could make it to Europe made it on the team, which is not to say that anyone did not deserve it, rather, each and every one of the 29 proved themselves on the field.

This year there are about 70 aspirants for the 50 spots, and lots of us have been training harder and smarter in the past few months, so I expect the competition to be fiercer.

If anyone is in the neighborhood, tickets are only $5 to watch. If you want to try out, it's kind of late in the game for 2the team going to Europe in 2013, but as the sport grows in America, and as the team prepares, you will be very welcome. We will always need people with whom to practice, and anything can happen, and there is always next year. Contact the leader of your region as listed in the website. Volunteer support staff is also needed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 1:47pm

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of interest, since I'm not in the US or anything, what are the criteria for someone to try out? Can anyone go for it or do you only take guys with some HEMA experience?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2012 7:57am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Just out of interest, since I'm not in the US or anything, what are the criteria for someone to try out? Can anyone go for it or do you only take guys with some HEMA experience?
    From the website:
    Joining the Team FAQ

• How do I join?
      • Get on Facebook and you can find a link to our page in the left hand column..

• Whom do I contact once I am on Facebook?
      • For Fighters who have given serious thought about the task at hand:
        Please contact our Leadership: @Jaye Travis Brooks Sr. – Team XO or @Andre Sinou – Team Captain. Send a friend request along with your message and you will be added to the Committed 2013 Fighter group where everyone networks.
      • Support Staff Volunteers:
        Please contact: @Susan Frappier with ideas of how you would like to participate in preparation and support on-site!!!

• What if I can’t get on Facebook?

• Please check out these posts:

• Please check out this doc for a timeline of what it will take to be prepared for the team:

To give a little more detail: You are responsible for acquiring your own armor and equipment and transporting yourself to the required practices and tryouts. While no certifiable experience is necessary to show up and try out (they won't be background-checking your resume or requiring a highlight video), I would recommend some form of full contact sports or martial arts background, especialy with weapons, before considering this.

Most of the people involved at this point are SCA veterans and just a few WMA guys. I think it would be really interesting to see a large and representative sample of the WMA/HEMA diaspora show up to try their skills in the singles combats and pro fights (which have different rules from each other, BTW). I also think football, rugby, and ice hockey have skill sets that would translate well to the melees, as well as judo, jiu jitsu, kickboxing, and any other discipline that involves putting someone to the ground while remaining standing.

In any event, it is my personal experience that you are judged by how you do on the field, not by any experience, reputation, or record you may or may not have coming in.
    Last edited by captain zorikh; 10/20/2012 7:58am at . Reason: typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 7:35am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am ALL OVER this news report! Big thanks to the city of Springfield, Il. for their support of our team and the support staff that helped us focus on the fighting.

http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories...88381481237582

Just over 50 aspirants showed up, all with courage and heart. Skill sets varied, some equipment did not pass muster and some equipment failed on the field. There were a few injures. We will learn, fix, repair, and recover. There will be another national tryout in February and regional and divisional practices between now and then. The final team of 50 or fewer people will be selected after the February tryouts.

This is no joke, folks. We want the best fighters, the best people, the best equipment, for we will be going up against the best in the World in Europe next year. Last year we were Rocky, the Jamaican bobsled team, Dennis Doyle from Downstairs. This year there are no cheesy movie references to describe us. We are simply out to win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 5:32pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm a bit of a Russophile but I think I'll be rooting for Team America this year. You Yanks are so cute when you get excited about a sport.
    And then you usually end up beating everyone at it...

I trust you'll be posting some videos from BOTN 2013 when it finally rolls around?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    So I'm a bit of a Russophile but I think I'll be rooting for Team America this year. You Yanks are so cute when you get excited about a sport.
    And then you usually end up beating everyone at it...

I trust you'll be posting some videos from BOTN 2013 when it finally rolls around?
    Oh, you betcha!

Here's a highlight reel from last year

...and a little video of our adventure trying to find the event site...

..and me jamming with the band...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 10:45am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much obliged, sir.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2012 12:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a promo video with highlights of the Springfield tournament, practice, and tryouts:

...and already the trolls on YouTube are critiquing it as being inaccurate, inauthentic, unskilled, and that they know better how to fight medieval-style, even saying it is "as bad as the SCA" (nyuk, nyuk).

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2012 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, Omega:
    This is why I was asking about tightening up my throws in which I don't follow them to the ground for top position, last time I was in. >_>
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast