Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2012 10:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo, throws for tall newbs

I'm a kind of tall Judo newb at 6'1" and am looking for simple throws to focus on. I'm working at O-soto-gari, of course.

I'd like to do seoi nage, but it's difficult because everyone else is 5'10", tops, except for an older shodan who just teaches. Drop seoi works but not in uchikomis.

I've read tai-otoshi, uchi mata and harai goshi are good for taller guys. Are they too advanced for a one month newb like me?

Thanks

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    11/16/2012 11:16pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good low tai-otoshi will work well. I would also work foot sweeps.

Aaron Fields

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2012 11:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Aaron.

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 5:00am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sensei is 6'7"

His favourite technique is uci mata, but his main adaption to throws like o Goshi is an over the shoulder/round the back of the kneck grip instead of the traditional round the waist grip
    Consider a basic beginners throw but with adaptation of grip to suit your build

I like Koshi garuma against a smaller player

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 8:11am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I like Koshi garuma against a smaller player
    Wouldn't suggest a beginner tries it, I am also 6.1 and it can feel easy going into that head lock position but it requires more control of the head (from a safety perspective) than most beginners have. Some countries ban it for Kids

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 8:36am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omoplatapus is really tall, like 6'5", and he had a lot of success adapting morote seoi nage when he couldn't make (non-drop) seoi work on a shorter person by hefting uke up onto his toes with the underhook. That brings them up a couple of inches higher.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by faixabranca View Post
    I've read tai-otoshi, uchi mata and harai goshi are good for taller guys. Are they too advanced for a one month newb like me?
    I don't know if it's just his personal preference or what, but uchi-mata is the only one of those that my coach doesn't like teaching beginners. I found tai-otoshi to be quite difficult to get the hang of, but it's one that gets taught to kids fairly early on, so I guess if they can do it...

Also, look at the small foot sweeps like dai-ashi-bari. As a beginner I know I didn't think much of them initially, as they don't have the glamor of picking someone up and dumping them, but they are damn effective techniques, and you don't need to get under people to do them - for a lot of them you actually push down on your opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 10:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Omoplatapus is really tall, like 6'5", and he had a lot of success adapting morote seoi nage when he couldn't make (non-drop) seoi work on a shorter person by hefting uke up onto his toes with the underhook. That brings them up a couple of inches higher.
    Colour me intruiged, but with the underhook? Is that instead of a lapel grip?

Also, I have been working on koshi guruma but my sensei commented to the effect that it's not going to work too well in competition and could become a crutch. As far as the safety thing, I have done koshi before albeit in wrestling without knowing the name. I know to secure the head otherwise my partner could get hurt.

De ashi harai, sode tsurikomi ashi and so on are also something I am interested in too.

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I don't know if it's just his personal preference or what, but uchi-mata is the only one of those that my coach doesn't like teaching beginners.
    I hear that a bad uchi mata can force uke's testicles back up or make them burst. Not very mutually beneficial.

So in our club they'll show it to anyone and let them drill it. But it's banned in randori for anyone under orange.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    I hear that a bad uchi mata can force uke's testicles back up or make them burst. Not very mutually beneficial.

So in our club they'll show it to anyone and let them drill it. But it's banned in randori for anyone under orange.
    That is not just bad Judo but bad juju in general. I don't think our club bans anything per se, but encourages you to avoid stuff like o soto guruma and ura nage.

Tai-otoshi seems like the way to go for forwards throws at the moment. Probably just gonna take a few classes to start building up a certain level of competence with it. It's taken about 3-4 weeks for o-soto-gari to be a bit more fluid and comfortable for me. Tai-otoshi might take longer perhaps.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast