Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 11:35am

Style: Xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice for a starting Xingyi practitioner?

I know there are a couple XYQ/BGZ/TCC people out there. I've been doing XYQ for almost a year now. In that time i've been learning the 5 elements, bu fa, and santi like everyone else. Our teacher has me doing the Fu Hu Gong set 3x a week(you might have seen Steve Cotter doing some of these calisthenics) and some Neigong to warm up; Wang Ji Wu's set and some of the tian gan. Any good advice for anyone getting into this martial art? Any books or other media i should look into? I have Sun Lu Tang's (my XYQ is sun style), Wang Ji Wu's, the XYQ in the chinese army book already?

I know there are a lot of xingyi topics on this board, but I figured I'd start a new topic since discussion is kind of low.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 1:32pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you call it XYQ & then call it TCC?

/pendantic

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 2:03pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Why do you call it XYQ & then call it TCC?

/pendantic
    idk TJQ just doesnt look as good

:shrug:

Welterweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    I know there are a couple XYQ/BGZ/TCC people out there. I've been doing XYQ for almost a year now. In that time i've been learning the 5 elements, bu fa, and santi like everyone else. Our teacher has me doing the Fu Hu Gong set 3x a week(you might have seen Steve Cotter doing some of these calisthenics) and some Neigong to warm up; Wang Ji Wu's set and some of the tian gan. Any good advice for anyone getting into this martial art? Any books or other media i should look into? I have Sun Lu Tang's (my XYQ is sun style), Wang Ji Wu's, the XYQ in the chinese army book already?

I know there are a lot of xingyi topics on this board, but I figured I'd start a new topic since discussion is kind of low.

Advice would depend on your goals/reasons for training and any problems you feel you have, which really your teacher should help with. Are you training 3 times a week with your teacher or just doing the fu hong gong set 3 times a week?

I was just now considering attempting a review of Mike Patterson's XY book when I saw this thread, only got it this morning so its gonna be a while...

http://www.amazon.com/Xingyi-Means-T.../dp/0985855703

Don't get caught up in books and theory or mystical diagrams tho!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 4:45pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    idk TJQ just doesnt look as good

:shrug:

You're a fucking idiot.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 5:11pm

Style: Baguazhang

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are you learning the tiangan if you are studying Xingyi? Does your teacher know Gao baguazhang? Perhaps Pittman's or Luo's line.

Welterweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobayashi View Post
    Why are you learning the tiangan if you are studying Xingyi? Does your teacher know Gao baguazhang? Perhaps Pittman's or Luo's line.
    Yeah, I'm wondering along similar lines, a mix of gungs from different lines, but training Sun's style..not wrong but a bit odd.

Anjin:
    What is your teacher's lineage/lineages?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 8:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Advice would depend on your goals/reasons for training and any problems you feel you have, which really your teacher should help with. Are you training 3 times a week with your teacher or just doing the fu hong gong set 3 times a week?

I was just now considering attempting a review of Mike Patterson's XY book when I saw this thread, only got it this morning so its gonna be a while...

http://www.amazon.com/Xingyi-Means-T.../dp/0985855703

Don't get caught up in books and theory or mystical diagrams tho!
    2x a week with my teacher. I practice every day and do the fu hu gong set 3 times a week on my own. it takes about 45 minutes, then ill work on 5 elements stuff untill ive done about 2-2.5 hours?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobayashi View Post
    Teacher is taking exercises from it because he thinks that for me some of them will help with opening my body up (taking longer strides, more stable hand to foot power). I think he learned the set from Tang Shou Tao people, although I havent asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering along similar lines, a mix of gungs from different lines, but training Sun's style..not wrong but a bit odd.

Anjin:
    What is your teacher's lineage/lineages?
    I think he started out learning mantis, then worked with some TST people who taught him some XY, the Fu Hu Gong, the Tian Gan, a couple White Crane exercises, and then when he moved to NY he learned Sun style XYQ and cheng style BGZ from Ping Zhen Cheng.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I might be participating in the novice division in a sanda tournament in April(if i can get the saturday off). I'm not new to full contact but I am new to competition. My teacher's gonna be helping me get ready conditioning wise. Can some vets recommend me good sanda fights or fighters to watch to help me get a little background on the sport globally? Maybe if possible footage of any Xingyi guys doing the sport?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast