Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 9:32am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo's transferability

Obviously judo brings a lot to anyone's MMA game in terms of clinch-grappling, submissions and all that. Next year I'll have the chance to do judo for a year at the uni judo club, and I'm just wondering whether if would be worth it, from an MMA perspective.

Is a year of training enough to gain some transferable expertise? I'll be starting at the very beginning, so presumably I'll have to learn ukemi and gripping and so forth before I learn any throws. My fear is that I'll spend a year as a judo noob and not learn enough to substantially improve my non-judo grappling.

Is this a possibility, or is judo immediately applicable to MMA, even without a gi?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 9:49am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely ukemi is a transferable skill? The ability to not be phased by falling? Not sure for MMA but I have certainly used it in Skiing and when I have had one to many drinks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gess it depends of the place and the instructor... Where I train you can start doing randori (mostly ground grappling but sometimes stand up too) and technique drills from day one if you wish to, just be prepared to be completely owned most of the time and to learn to fall right fast or you may get hurt. But even my instructor admits that we are a bit on disavantage on safety compared to classes that have more focus on ukemi.

But regarding how long you need to train Judo before being usefull on MMA I'm in no position to answer you but I can gess that at least a decent amount of ukemi can be very useful to many things in life, ofc combat sports being one of them.
    Last edited by Wolfskin; 11/09/2012 10:11am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 10:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A year of Judo will make you an infinitely better MMA grappler than a year of sitting on the sofa, if that's what your asking?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 10:43am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    A year of Judo will make you an infinitely better MMA grappler than a year of sitting on the sofa, if that's what your asking?
    I'm with this guy. A year of any martial arts training is better than a year of no martial training.

I'm Svelte!

Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassThree FriendsYour first Group

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a couple of months MMA with 4 years or so of judo (green belt)

I was able to throw every body there from the get go, was very hard to take down, but suffered on the ground

Addapting to no gi and a less restrictive ruleset were the main issues (though we do train no gi from time to time at our club)
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 10:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    Obviously judo brings a lot to anyone's MMA game in terms of clinch-grappling, submissions and all that. Next year I'll have the chance to do judo for a year at the uni judo club, and I'm just wondering whether if would be worth it, from an MMA perspective.

Is a year of training enough to gain some transferable expertise? I'll be starting at the very beginning, so presumably I'll have to learn ukemi and gripping and so forth before I learn any throws. My fear is that I'll spend a year as a judo noob and not learn enough to substantially improve my non-judo grappling.

Is this a possibility, or is judo immediately applicable to MMA, even without a gi?
    In my opinion it really depends on how many hours you spend doing Judo over the next year. I think you have realistic concerns on where you may be after a year of Judo and I say that because what you may want to get out of Judo may be completely polar opposite of what the instructorís teaching agenda is. I see this a lot when BJJ guys try Judo. They stick around for a month or so but become impatient when they see it doesnít directly tie into what they want to do. I think if you approach the Judo class from the viewpoint thatís itís an added tool in your arsenal then youíll find benefit after a year but only if you practice regularly. If youíre only going 2x a week I donít think youíll see any real benefit after a year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 11:08am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Haha, I should think so.
    There are a couple of other options, given that it's a British uni and therefore full of clubs. I thinking about muay thai or kickboxing, but honestly my grappling needs a lot more work than my striking. I have no intention of hanging around on the couch all year, judo or not.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 10:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dipping your toe in the ocean of groundfighting and grappling sounds like a fine idea. Hopefully it'll give you at least some understanding of groundwork positions, and get you used to falling and taking falls and keeping your balance.

The best thing I've gotten from judo, with regards to my broader game, has been shen fa, general body use skill. Compared to when I started, I'm harder to push over, and I keep my weight on the opponent better.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 11:48pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A year of solid judo training will definitely help you especially if you have no grappling experience from an MMA perspective. Your balance will improve. You should develop some takedowns and grappling as well. It can't do anything but help you, especially if TKD is your only MA experience. Good luck to you.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast