223752 Bullies, 3802 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 138
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Internet-fu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 7:18pm


     Style: Still deciding.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Internet trolling and You

    Another thing, and this is only partially related to the topic of the thread. I have to say that one of the things I always found funny about old style Kung Fu movies was the way everyone would posture and challenge each other. The internet seems to of made this same hilarity play out. Seriously guys. The internet is statistically proven to make people behave stupidly if they are not careful. The conduct in some of these threads I have been reading before I decided to register is atrocious and unprofessional.

    The advent of the internet has done great things for communication but it has also become a new way for people to scribble on the bathroom wall for kicks on a much larger scale. And what I mean by that is that the anonymity of the internet is both great for truth but at the same time great for lies and distortions of the truth.

    Take great care with what you say or what conclusions you jump to about someone on the internet. Now that we live in the age of google you might as well be drawing this stuff on their forehead. And you can ruin lives with it. I am actually researching a documentary on internet "Trolling" and how because of it there are companies literally making thousands of dollars protecting people's reputations from people who can run off at the mouth and say completely unfounded garbage about people with no risk of conseuences unless the victim happens to have thousands of dollars lying around to give lawyers.
  2. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,955

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 7:26pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido. As your post is barely, that's being nice, related to the topic, it has been placed in newbietown for further discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    Another thing, and this is only partially related to the topic of the thread. I have to say that one of the things I always found funny about old style Kung Fu movies was the way everyone would posture and challenge each other. The internet seems to of made this same hilarity play out. Seriously guys. The internet is statistically proven to make people behave stupidly if they are not careful. The conduct in some of these threads I have been reading before I decided to register is atrocious and unprofessional.

    The advent of the internet has done great things for communication but it has also become a new way for people to scribble on the bathroom wall for kicks on a much larger scale. And what I mean by that is that the anonymity of the internet is both great for truth but at the same time great for lies and distortions of the truth.

    Take great care with what you say or what conclusions you jump to about someone on the internet. Now that we live in the age of google you might as well be drawing this stuff on their forehead. And you can ruin lives with it. I am actually researching a documentary on internet "Trolling" and how because of it there are companies literally making thousands of dollars protecting people's reputations from people who can run off at the mouth and say completely unfounded garbage about people with no risk of conseuences unless the victim happens to have thousands of dollars lying around to give lawyers.
    As I get older, I enjoy the false scariness related to technology. The only thing new is the frequency and quickness of the silliness.


    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22945
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/08/2012 7:29pm at .
  3. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,226

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 7:30pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    Another thing, and this is only partially related to the topic of the thread. I have to say that one of the things I always found funny about old style Kung Fu movies was the way everyone would posture and challenge each other. The internet seems to of made this same hilarity play out. Seriously guys. The internet is statistically proven to make people behave stupidly if they are not careful. The conduct in some of these threads I have been reading before I decided to register is atrocious and unprofessional.

    The advent of the internet has done great things for communication but it has also become a new way for people to scribble on the bathroom wall for kicks on a much larger scale. And what I mean by that is that the anonymity of the internet is both great for truth but at the same time great for lies and distortions of the truth.

    Take great care with what you say or what conclusions you jump to about someone on the internet. Now that we live in the age of google you might as well be drawing this stuff on their forehead. And you can ruin lives with it. I am actually researching a documentary on internet "Trolling" and how because of it there are companies literally making thousands of dollars protecting people's reputations from people who can run off at the mouth and say completely unfounded garbage about people with no risk of conseuences unless the victim happens to have thousands of dollars lying around to give lawyers.
    Welcome to Bullshido.

    Now that you're up to speed with the rest of us, do you have any questions concerning your selection process of a martial art?
    Shut the hell up and train.
  4. cualltaigh is online now
    cualltaigh's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,358

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 7:46pm


     Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site Internet-fu and more importantly, welcome to the internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    The internet is statistically proven to make people behave stupidly if they are not careful.
    One of the things you will find on this site, apart from being able to speak your mind, is that if you make reference to something you will often be asked to provide it. Such as the statistics^ that 'prove' stupid behaviour. Do you have a link to such statistics or was this a turn of phrase?

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    The conduct in some of these threads I have been reading before I decided to register is atrocious and unprofessional.
    Apart from from MABS (the serious investigations forum), professionalism is not required here. In fact, it is often counter-productive to the site's purpose. Hang around long enough and you'll find out why.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    I am actually researching a documentary on internet "Trolling" and how because of it there are companies literally making thousands of dollars protecting people's reputations from people who can run off at the mouth and say completely unfounded garbage about people with no risk of conseuences unless the victim happens to have thousands of dollars lying around to give lawyers.
    Also, outside of newbietown, you may find unwanted attention for the way you present your comments. This^ is a very long sentence and could benefit from a fullstop/period or two.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
  5. goodlun is offline
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,014

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 8:38pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    Another thing, and this is only partially related to the topic of the thread. I have to say that one of the things I always found funny about old style Kung Fu movies was the way everyone would posture and challenge each other. The internet seems to of made this same hilarity play out. Seriously guys. The internet is statistically proven to make people behave stupidly if they are not careful.
    A big part of this is due to the anonymity, this site has plenty of regular posters who are actually not all that anonymous. This is in part do to the community get together known as throw downs.
    As far as the posturing goes, well we are a martial arts website dedicated to calling the bullshit on martial arts let that sit with you and think about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    The conduct in some of these threads I have been reading before I decided to register is atrocious and unprofessional.
    When I start getting paid to be here than I will worry about if I am being "professional" on here I am sure more than a few people feel the same way. The word you may want to use is civil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    The advent of the internet has done great things for communication but it has also become a new way for people to scribble on the bathroom wall for kicks on a much larger scale. And what I mean by that is that the anonymity of the internet is both great for truth but at the same time great for lies and distortions of the truth.
    Yes this is why we look for verification of claims. Also your claim of google/facebook/twiter what not makes the internet and this site less full of anonymity combined with a community that actually does meet.
  6. Internet-fu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 10:48pm


     Style: Still deciding.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I have made enough posts to be allowed to post links I will post you some information from my research about the psychological effect anonymity has on the internet. I can post you a lot of different studies and in some cases some far less scientific approaches to this. But I would be surprised if there were people here who have not seen firsthand how different people act when in person. I have in the past had people be very vocal in very personal ways about me and then suddenly turning into my best friend the moment they are in my presence. It's not just being anonymous it's not being right there in front of the person you are talking about/to. Physical intimidation aside people will behave differently in person.

    There also seems to be a cultural thing about the internet to look for things to bitch about or just speak negatively about in general. I have read testimonials from people who have literally admitted that they get angry at home and jump on the internet to let out their aggression. One of the biggest trolls I know of admitted once that he is a meek person when you talk to him in person but goes to the internet to do this. If you have ever heard the expression "God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal..." in reference to the power of the firearm to make everyone able to engage in violence. You can say the same thing about bullying and the internet. The internet lets people trash talk from safety and now everyone can be a bully. Not just people who might be called to task to do something about it.

    Personally, I see no point in all of that. It distorts the information. Just tell the truth about a situation and provide the information. All the insults and mockery and all that is not only unneeded it makes everyone involved look like thugs. Even when they are bashing someone who deserves it.

    And that brings me to another tendency, Trolls who find themselves a CAUSE! Like junkies who look for excuses to justify the things they do for a fix they will latch onto some reason why people "deserve" to be trolled and therefore excuse themselves from guilt for being an intellectual thug.

    I would apply a little Jeet Kune Do to the situation and strip away the unessentials and fancy mess. Just like flashy moves in the martial arts a good flame might impress people who for some reason did not grow out of that sort of thing in school. (You know, when picking on other kids was a way to prove you were in some way superior?) But it buries the actually critical information in the piles of crap.

    On a final note, the responses to this post already have people being defensive or suggesting that their behavior is warranted or in some way is beneficial. Only one person even offered me any help on finding actual information.

    So don't fall into the trap of just looking for things to fling poo at in your "crusade". All the while telling yourself that your helping somehow.
    Last edited by Internet-fu; 11/08/2012 10:54pm at . Reason: Something to add.
  7. Internet-fu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 11:08pm


     Style: Still deciding.

    -2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

    Now that you're up to speed with the rest of us, do you have any questions concerning your selection process of a martial art?
    I am still trying to sift through all of the haze here. (This is another reason I wish people would try to just share information and less opinion or hassle.) If we are going to be able to learn from each other we need to be able to talk about our views without threats of being attacked or ridiculed for it. If someone is wrong you should want to help them learn. If it comes to a debate then the "opponent" is the "wrong answer". Not the other person.

    I see people mocking the idea that things being workable on the street is important. I can see why some people might use that as a dodge if they don't want to step in the ring. But the ridicule and "Appeal to mockery" fallacy of it is basically a psychological tactic and not a logical one.

    I did my time growing up in a neighborhood with a lot of racially motivated violence. And a lot of drug/gang oriented violence. I have been sent to the hospital and I have sent people to the hospital. I am no more or less tough then anyone else who was brought up in that situation.

    I am currently taking BJJ and I enjoy it but even my instructor was very honest about the limitations of BJJ in a streetfighting situation. However even amidst those limitations I see serious benefits for what I am learning. Multiple opponent situations in particular are not a time I want to be on the ground. But having been in a lot of these myself I know that knowledge of what to do when one of the multiple opponents gets you there is valuable. It's just not a full picture.

    I am also looking for a striking style to augment this. But I see a lot of controversy about this as far as what works and what doesn't. I was fond of Wing Chun and Jun Fan but people are suggesting that Chi Sao does not work.

    I have been contemplating this for some time and I will probably start another thread about it as it is not relevant to the internet trolling thing. But there are so many variables to consider in many of the things that I have seen different stylists take as absolutes that it is hard to trust "opinions".

    This is why I hesitate to talk about it here. When people start slinging insults and all that they disengage the brain and engage the ego. Some people get very emotionally attached to their view and they will viciously defend it even long after logic has flown out the window.

    I prefer to exchange in an environment when everyone's collective goal is for everyone else to excel. Not just to earn mad troll points.
  8. Bezmond is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tianjin, China
    Posts
    397

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 11:24pm


     Style: Taijiquan, Karate

    9
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well thats the internet fixed then.

    What are you going to do next?
  9. cualltaigh is online now
    cualltaigh's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,358

    Posted On:
    11/08/2012 11:30pm


     Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    When I have made enough posts to be allowed to post links I will post you some information from my research about the psychological effect anonymity has on the internet. I can post you a lot of different studies and in some cases some far less scientific approaches to this. But I would be surprised if there were people here who have not seen firsthand how different people act when in person. I have in the past had people be very vocal in very personal ways about me and then suddenly turning into my best friend the moment they are in my presence. It's not just being anonymous it's not being right there in front of the person you are talking about/to. Physical intimidation aside people will behave differently in person.
    First up you'll notice that I didn't disagree with you. In fact, I've not stated any position, I am merely pointing out some things that will help you to argue your points out in the wild [forums] better. The mods have moved your post here (newbietown, where you are somewhat protected) which highlights that you need some guidance in acclimatising to the atmosphere on this site.

    Case in point, you mentioned statistical proof, but when pushed you would provide studies. Whilst more of a semantic issue, if you have studies say 'studies indicate' rather than 'statistically proven'. Again, just trying to help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    Personally, I see no point in all of that. It distorts the information. Just tell the truth about a situation and provide the information. All the insults and mockery and all that is not only unneeded it makes everyone involved look like thugs. Even when they are bashing someone who deserves it.
    The problem is that people hide behind 'politeness' (or honour or integrity or any number of other traits they "humbly" assign to themselves) relying on people's political correctness so that they can present false information as true without fear of being checked. Whilst it is a confronting mindset at first, sweeping aside the usual platitutdes and vigorously chasing facts/sources is essential in extracting the truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    I would apply a little Jeet Kune Do to the situation and strip away the unessentials and fancy mess. Just like flashy moves in the martial arts a good flame might impress people who for some reason did not grow out of that sort of thing in school. (You know, when picking on other kids was a way to prove you were in some way superior?) But it buries the actually critical information in the piles of crap.
    See, I would contend that politeness etc. is the flashy stuff that needs to be stripped away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    On a final note, the responses to this post already have people being defensive or suggesting that their behavior is warranted or in some way is beneficial. Only one person even offered me any help on finding actual information.

    So don't fall into the trap of just looking for things to fling poo at in your "crusade". All the while telling yourself that your helping somehow.
    Not sure, haven't been on the original thread. Also, which crusade are you referring to?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
  10. doofaloofa is online now
    doofaloofa's Avatar

    I'm Svelte!

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wesht Cark
    Posts
    1,575

    Posted On:
    11/09/2012 6:00am

    supporting member
     Style: mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Internet-fu meet sirc

    Sirc meet Internet-fu
    My last sig got censored...LOL

    A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein,
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.