Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 6:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dog Brothers, and on

Hi,

So, I find this Dog Brothers stuff fascinating.

I want to learn what they do, or understand why their discipline (Kali?) sucks. Please introduce me to the topic.

Thank you,

Rafe
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 11/08/2012 7:04am at .

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good morning, Sunshine... :-)

Dog brothers are the standard to which all other stick fighting schools are to be measured, in case we are talking about realistic training methods. They also incorporate grappling into their stickfighting, as well as realistic (aluminum trainer) knife training, etc.

Everything about them is widely available on the net, no secret, at least that is my understanding, as an outsider.

They are in Europe, too, but a bit farther from you: http://www.dogbrothers.ch/pages/en.php?lang=EN

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 8:00am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is my highest ambition to fight at the European Gathering in 2014.

An important note about your OP Hiro: Its probably inaccurate to describe the Dog Brothers as having a discipline as such.

Its true that most of them come from FMA backgrounds, but the Gatherings are open to all styles and there are several members with CMA, JMA and Krabi Krabong backgrounds/influences. If you watch videos of the more recent Euro Gatherings you'll also see a number of guys wielding WMA longswords.

Something that Crafty Dog seems quite keen on (from my reading of his work at least) is the distinction between the DBMA association, which is the "style" and the Dog Brothers, which is the group of psychos with sticks.

I'm sure some of the guys who've actually been and fought at a Gathering will be along shortly.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 8:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I agree that they have brought a great deal of aliveness to Kali, my complaint with them is similar to kendo.

They would not move like that if those sticks were replaced with machetes.

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 8:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    They would not move like that if those sticks were replaced with machetes.
    A fair point, realism in blade training is something that seems to provoke a lot of discussion in Dog Bros circles.

How would (or do?) you do "alive" training that would translate to "machette combat"?

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 9:28am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    A fair point, realism in blade training is something that seems to provoke a lot of discussion in Dog Bros circles.
    Yeah, that's my biggest complaint with the Dog Brothers fights using aluminum knife trainers - "knife" becomes "short club", and since slashes with them don't hurt, they can be ignored. It puts a real skew on how it's used.

How would (or do?) you do "alive" training that would translate to "machette combat"?
    Here's a video where they're using aluminum ginunting (so, close enough to a machete) trainers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97KJ...eature=g-all-u

They're going at a reduced pace, since getting hit with one of those is going to be distinctly more impact than with a stick. I would say one would have to switch back and forth between blade trainers and sticks, so that you could get the higher aliveness levels of the stick, but the blade awareness of the trainers.

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 9:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Yeah, that's my biggest complaint with the Dog Brothers fights using aluminum knife trainers - "knife" becomes "short club", and since slashes with them don't hurt, they can be ignored. It puts a real skew on how it's used.
    To be honest I find this even with our rubber knife sparring, stabs always hurt more, so slashing gets left by the wayside.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i thought they used shock knives, so that slashes *do* hurt, am i wrong about that?

i've suggested them for my dojo's tomiki aikido classes but no one seems interested.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 9:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i thought they used shock knives, so that slashes *do* hurt, am i wrong about that?

i've suggested them for my dojo's tomiki aikido classes but no one seems interested.
    From what I've read, they have tried shock knives and they work very well for "blade awareness", but they unfortunately don't stand up to the rigours of Gathering-style fights.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    You start very slowly and progress very slowly.

Obviously only highly skilled folks with years of training should be attempting even moderately live training with bladed weapons.

I found this video of "Mr. Shastar Vidya" + Rapid Arnis Intl.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/08/2012 10:23am at .
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast