Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 8:56pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I keep getting wrist locked...

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the below:

I'm in my opponent's guard, my left arm grabs his right sleeve and right arm grabs both lapels around the solar plexus, I put my weIght on my right arm to keep him down and get up on my left foot to eventually open the guard and pass.

The only problem is that lately I've been getting my right wrist locked when I go for this guard open. Is it a matter of not controlling their sleeve or putting my hand in the wrong place? It's pretty frustrating.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 9:35pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well how are you getting wrist locked from that position? Is your opponent grabbing behind your elbow with his hands? What specific move are they using?

More often than not simple awareness and proper posture/base will prevent or at least defend wrist locks when you are on top.

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 9:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post
    Well how are you getting wrist locked from that position? Is your opponent grabbing behind your elbow with his hands? What specific move are they using?

More often than not simple awareness and proper posture/base will prevent or at least defend wrist locks when you are on top.
    That's exactly it, they grab behInd the tricep and pull my arm into their body. If I disengage the right hand they come up and sweep. I was hoping its something simple such as y hand positioning because it's pretty hard countered my favorite pass lately.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 10:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could put your hand on the inside of the knee to pop their guard instead of their sleeve.
    So you will have your right hand holding him down. Right knee connected to your right elbow to box them out and to protect yourself and the left hand controlling their knee. But be careful that they can't pop your hand out and triangle/arm bar you.

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 10:40pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably need better posture. Putting your hand on their solar plexus in guard to pass is asking for them to take your arm, either wrist lock or secure an arm bar. Try and move them to the hips, create a wider base and push the hips to the ground while you posture up.

At least, that's what I keep getting told I should be doing...
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 11:30pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you're in an already locked up armbar situation, gooseneck wristlocks can generally be avoided by adjusting your hand position along with your posture. If you're getting wristlocked while you're passing someone's guard, chances are that you're leaving your hand in the same position too long.

During a transition like passing the guard, what serves as an advantageous hand position initially can quickly deteriorate into a liability in the late stages of the movement. The solution is often moving the hand or rotating it in the latter part of the transition.

To summarize, try moving the hand to the hip as you pass. Do this with a partner before sparring. If that doesn't work, try rotating your hand 180 degrees during the guard pass. That's all I can suggest without a specific guard pass description and/or video.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 1:46am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the below:

I'm in my opponent's guard, my left arm grabs his right sleeve and right arm grabs both lapels around the solar plexus, I put my weIght on my right arm to keep him down and get up on my left foot to eventually open the guard and pass.

The only problem is that lately I've been getting my right wrist locked when I go for this guard open. Is it a matter of not controlling their sleeve or putting my hand in the wrong place? It's pretty frustrating.
    For example - is this the lock you're getting hit with? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...sf5Ff3A#t=144s

I watched this one just to give me a good awareness of wristlocks when I realised they are IBJJF legal, it's explained pretty well in the breakdown from these guys.

Something I've done to make my inside guard posture a bit harder to break down, as I used to always get rolled over that wrist and into a wristlock/painful "just **** my posture, that hurts" deal, was to make the gi lapel grabbing hand tighten to a vertical fist and driving the knuckles into them for a stronger frame and not have to worry about rolling sidewise over the palm into the wrist lock.

Also, what the others have said :).
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 6:50am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats the one Miyagi, its the high level competitors at my gym using it on me so no doubt they are playing around with wristlocks for IBJJF too.

Battlefields; I know the guard open you are talking about, i like that no gi. I've yet to be threatened with an armbar doing the OP open though, apart from the wristlocks its been very high percentage on other blues/purples.

I think JNP is right, I'm leaving the arm there instead of transitioning to the hip. Will give it a try and let you know.

Thanks all for the tips.
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 10:38pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hold higher up on their lapel.

As long as it's on the top of the chest they can't curl around the wrist to get the leverage to finish.

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 6:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Argh right on the money 265lbsfist, i was holding too low on the lapel because i thought it would make me safer from armbars. No wristlocks doing this pass since this thread, thanks for the tips.

Now to figure out how to stop people better than me choking me out with articles of my own clothing..
    Kenny Weldon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast