Posted On:
    10/21/2012 5:59am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The grave of Captain Alfred Hutton

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...alfred-hutton/

An article on the discovery of the grave of famed late-Victorian fencer and "ancient swordplay" revivalist, Captain Alfred Hutton.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 6:21am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting find; kind of like researching the genealogy of Bartitsu. I'm going to study up on this system.

Last edited by slamdunc; 10/21/2012 6:46am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 6:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean Hutton's system, or Bartitsu? Either way, feel free to ask any questions.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 6:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Do you mean Hutton's system, or Bartitsu? Either way, feel free to ask any questions.
    I'd more likely be interested in Bartitsu; I'm not a Wikipedia Warrior, so I'm going to dig around. How long does it take to become (subjectively) proficient in Bartitsu?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 6:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That depends almost entirely on your own background. Since Bartitsu is basically a cross-training system between old-school "scientific" boxing, jujitsu and the Vigny method of stick fighting, a student with solid experience in analogs to those styles - random example, wing chun + amateur boxing, judo and, say, sabre fencing - can pick up all the basics pretty quickly. After that, it's just a matter of refining the cross-training process so you can combine them together effectively.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 7:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    After that, it's just a matter of refining the cross-training process so you can combine them together effectively.
    I've always cross-trained, experiencing more difficulty in differentiating, than in combining. I boxed and wrestled from the time I was a kid. Twenty-five years of Shaolin Ch'uan-Fa Kung Fu, eight years of TKD (Chung Do Kwan), ten years of Kenpo (EPAK), two months of Judo (ouch) learning to do break-falls. Most of this was done concurrently, until my commitment to my career became a priority. I have almost no experience with sticks or canes, but do o.k. with close-range edged weapons.

Currently, I teach a private group one night per week, and I have been working with a couple of BJJ guys for a little over a year, in order to get my ground game up to par. I am pretty much training a base of CMA, having eliminated the practice of forms or weapons completely. I concentrate on self-defense arts and sparring, exclusively.

I perused the Bartitsu web page and it piqued my interest. It will be a couple of years before I can commit to any in-depth training. What is the age grouping within Bartitsu? Although I am HWP and still fairly flexible, I'm not getting any younger LOL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 8:16am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The Grave of Captain Alfred Hutton" would make a good name for your new clubhouse. If it was a pub, I'd drink there.

I have never encountered Bartitsu, or anyone who practises it. Is there an element of dressing up/LARPing? I've always imagined it to be like:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 9:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Age grouping - probably similar to any MA, though I don't know of anyone teaching it for kids, so mostly people in their 20s-40s.

If you're in IL, you'll be welcome to check out classes at Forteza Fitness and Martial Arts in Chicago - http://bartitsuclubofchicago.com/ . The Bartitsu Society also encourages people to set up their own study groups - http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/ba...-and-training/ .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 9:09am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep meaning to get in contact with the London group.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 9:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    "The Grave of Captain Alfred Hutton" would make a good name for your new clubhouse. If it was a pub, I'd drink there.

I have never encountered Bartitsu, or anyone who practises it. Is there an element of dressing up/LARPing? I've always imagined it to be like:

Every club has its own take; some are basically RBSD/combatives with a bit of old-school Bartitsu for spice, and some are full-on LARP (as in people wear steampunk/neo-Victorian getups while they train). The Chicago club "uniform" is based on c1900 exercise gear:

http://bartitsuclubofchicago.com/wp-...5/Uniform1.jpg

... but otherwise not LARPy, apart from special events like the Antagonisticathlon obstacle course: .