Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 2:26am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Supplements to fight with lack of sleep?

Dear Bullies,

I am a guy who trains 6 times a week, and I mostly get 7+ hours of sleep everyday and don't have any problems.

However, I am planning to change my job soon and after I start at the new office, I will need to work for longer hours, work will be more tiring (mentally) and also probably will need to sleep a little less than normal.
    (Around 6 hours I guess)

If I can manage to do it, I don't want to cut from my training time. But even If I do, I will still need to sleep less than before.

Of course, the best thing against lack of sleep is sleep itself : ))

However, this job is important and I need to keep this tempo for some time.

Do you have any opinions for supplements that I can take when I start working in the new place?

Do you think some glutamine or these famous recovery supplements would be enough?

Or maybe you have some ideas to enhance the quality of sleep?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 2:50am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear methamphetamines and crack cocaine work wonders

E: realtalk since I work nights 40 hours a week: NOTHING will help. Get used to it over time, make sure you have a very very full and healthy diet. Supplements, coffee, etc will NOT realistically help you long term. All I can say is sleep or take sleep supplements so that the sleep you do get is maximized. Also do yourself a favor, TOTALLY block ALL light from your room. duct tape your windows or duct tape cardboard over them. The absolute key here is making sure you aren't exposed to even a tiny amount of sunlight while sleeping.

Gonna reiterate one more time in case you still think otherwise: It's a total waste of fucking time trying to train or compensate for not sleeping, that isn't how your body works, you need to sleep. If the job is that important, consider delaying your training or finding a new job as heartbreaking as that may be...
    Last edited by Israfel; 9/18/2012 2:56am at .

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 3:30am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train less.

You want to grow old with a healthy liver, and healthy kidneys.

So, if a cup of coffee and an orange juice after work are not enough to put you in "training mode", don't train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for prompt replies guys and also sorry for late feedback.

I think this is the key point: "Supplements, coffee, etc will NOT realistically help you long term."

I think I will start with 3-4 days a week and try to get used to it slowly.

Do you think recovery supplements would be a good addition? Or the lack of sleep is so uber that getting supplements like glutamine etc. will be useless?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 8:39pm

Style: (former) Kokondo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever tried American Ginseng? A good quality tincture or capsule can help with fatigue. I've tried it before, and though I agree nothing helps like good old fashioned adequate sleep, it does take the edge off when extra sleep isn't an option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 9:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jn1996 View Post
    Have you ever tried American Ginseng? A good quality tincture or capsule can help with fatigue. I've tried it before, and though I agree nothing helps like good old fashioned adequate sleep, it does take the edge off when extra sleep isn't an option.
    It's pretty easy to reach kinds of gingseng where i live. It's also pretty famous.

Although, I don't have so many sports people around me that uses ginseng and I don't have much information about it.

However, I remember back in my university days, I used to take some vitamins with ginseng inside when the exam times were close. And it definitely kept me more awake and concentrated.
    Don't know if it was placebo tho.

Do you have any documents, articles etc. about ginseng that I can relate to?

Thanks

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 3:18am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    Thank you for prompt replies guys and also sorry for late feedback.

I think this is the key point: "Supplements, coffee, etc will NOT realistically help you long term."

I think I will start with 3-4 days a week and try to get used to it slowly.

Do you think recovery supplements would be a good addition? Or the lack of sleep is so uber that getting supplements like glutamine etc. will be useless?
    If you don't mind, think of it this way:

How much of your daytime do you really spend RESTING?

Meaning, not on leisure time activity, but RESTING. Sitting on your balcony, reading a book? Having a hot bath? Getting a massage? Getting to the solarium? Getting to the beach? Getting to nature?

Because, THIS is where you get your powers back:

THIS, not so much:

Might be a mute point, but the best thing in my personal experience, if you have to work hard hours, is to take a break during your day that does not consist of the internet, exercise, booze, or other people.

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 3:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem take a nap during lunch or right before training.
    or if your up for something a bit more extreme
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep
    Go for the uber man
    Six 20-minute naps (every 4 hours).

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hobbits are so relevant to this kind of thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 10:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Hiro:
    Actually, at my previous job, I used to take 20-30 minute naps (no longer than that) just putting on my head on the table. And it felt like an awesome way to recharge myself.

But "resting" as you meant. I can't say much. I think the closest thing is the time I read a book in subway while I'm on the way to gym, work etc. But if you know Chinese subways, I can't say it's really relaxing at all. So I think after I start the new job, I won't really have the time.

@Goodlun:
    Actually, the ones after everyman seems so extreme. However, I may try to do biphasic sleep thing, which is actually taking a nap in the day.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast