Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 7:15pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Couch to Couch program

So I've read a lot of information about endurance training, everything from VOmax, heart rate zones, training routines, but after a great deal of time I'm just not seeing the improvement I was hoping for. There's a lot of information out there, some of it isn't very specific or contradicts each other, so I guess I'm looking to see if there's anyone here with a big picture look at the information, who can put it in the context of experience and give me some pointers on increasing endurance.

Though beyond that I'm starting to wonder if I'm way off base somehow. It doesn't seem like it should be rocket science just to build a basic endurance base, I've been working on it for over a year now, and though some illnesses and other things slowed me down here and there, I would think I'd be able to slow jog a mile by now without my heartrate going through the roof. I don't know if I'm overdoing it or underdoing it or what, though really at this point I've tried the gamut. I've been doing this for awhile and I've been through periods where I was taking it really easy, trying it really intense, and everything in between.

I know that's not really specific, and I could be more detailed, but there's a lot of detail and I don't know where to start. I guess one question would be about heart rate zones, they have ranges, but various sources aren't quite the same and it's not specific about how long it should take to get into this range; at any given pace that I get into that range in a reasonable amount of time I'm hitting the top of the range pretty quick, should I taper my pace downward as I work out? I've tried doing shorter intervals to keep my pace more steady but then the bottom really dropped out of my endurance.

I've been doing running routines, but I don't know how to integrate them into Judo practice, they have run days and walk days and rest days, should Judo practice days count as run days or should I be doing my Judo on "walk days"

Anyway, thanks for any help

tldr; why can't I hold all these cardio

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you tell us a few things?

Age,
    Height,
    Weight,

What exactly is your heart rate at when attempting to run a mile?
    What is your time for running/walking a mile?

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 11:20pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right, it isn't rocket science. As a beginner runner, you are way over-thinking this. Check out couch to 5K, it has helped tons (wucka-wucka) of out of shape people to run a continuous 5K. At 3 sessions per week of roughly 30 minutes you certainly should be able to work it in with your judo.

If that doesn't float your boat, check out your local specialty running store. If you have a Running Room or equivalent, they have learn to run programs that cost a reasonable amount, or they have running clubs that are free. Maybe some experienced people can help you out, like if you are wearing your shoes on the wrong feet, or some other less obvious problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 1:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    Can you tell us a few things?

Age,
    Height,
    Weight,

What exactly is your heart rate at when attempting to run a mile?
    What is your time for running/walking a mile?
    30 (that's weird to write) 5'8" 160 A run/walk of 2 miles in 30 minutes is my normal pace I try not to let my heart rate go too far over 160

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 1:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you been checked out by a doctor? You are far from overweight but your heartrate soars at what is basically a brisk walking pace?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 1:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You're right, it isn't rocket science. As a beginner runner, you are way over-thinking this. Check out couch to 5K, it has helped tons (wucka-wucka) of out of shape people to run a continuous 5K. At 3 sessions per week of roughly 30 minutes you certainly should be able to work it in with your judo.

If that doesn't float your boat, check out your local specialty running store. If you have a Running Room or equivalent, they have learn to run programs that cost a reasonable amount, or they have running clubs that are free. Maybe some experienced people can help you out, like if you are wearing your shoes on the wrong feet, or some other less obvious problem.
    That's what worries me, I've put in miles. 30 minutes, 3 times a week for months, if anything I've backslid. I've tried variations on cool running that fit into my schedule better, hence the thread title, but maybe tomorrow I'll start it up and adhere more strictly to their program, see if that helps.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 1:31am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwscott View Post
    That's what worries me, I've put in miles. 30 minutes, 3 times a week for months, if anything I've backslid. I've tried variations on cool running that fit into my schedule better, hence the thread title, but maybe tomorrow I'll start it up and adhere more strictly to their program, see if that helps.
    If you're saying your heart rate gets up to 160 while walking a 15 minute mile then I suggest you go to the doctor ASAP. I'm 43 and can do an eight minute mile with a heart rate below 130. Keep in mind, I'm no runner.

160 BPM is ridiculously high for a 15 minute mile.
    Last edited by jnp; 9/15/2012 1:35am at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 5:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwscott View Post
    30 (that's weird to write) 5'8" 160 A run/walk of 2 miles in 30 minutes is my normal pace I try not to let my heart rate go too far over 160
    Thats scary! Do what the guys said and get to a doctor asap.

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 10:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On reflection I'd say hold off on running or judo until you get checked out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 4:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, you know I don't really have a problem with being out of breath or particularly tired either, it's just my heartrate is skyrocketing on what really shouldn't be a difficult exercise, that's probably not a good sign. My resting pulserate is okay though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast