223864 Bullies, 3676 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 11
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. J0hnnyB is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    9/11/2012 3:18am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Kyokushin Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    You really don't want to rub your shins with anything too hard. The goal of MT conditioning is to deaden the nerves in your shins, not to actually injure the bone. Hitting or rubbing it with hard objects can cause microscopic fractures which weaken the bone. Nope, all we do is lots of kicks on the bags, pads, and plenty of sparring.

    And I've never been made to sit still and take a punch in my muay thai classes. Sure, I take them, but I'm at least giving a pretense of trying to fight back, although my "fighting back" is usually circling and taking hits until the round is over. I'm still a no0b.
    Actually that is not true. Producing microfractures to the shin bone makes it create an even stronger bone surface when recovering. So a tad of good rest and calcium nutrition would do much good.

    Wolff's Law

    Wolff's Law is a scientific theory that explains the process of bone adaptation. Just as muscles grow stronger as a result of the restoration of micro-tears in muscle fibres caused by exercise, so too do bones become denser when they repair after a break. When a bone breaks, the body essentially repairs it by filling the break with calcium, which turns into bone. Muay Thai fighters do not break their bones, though. Instead, they cause micro-fractures that fill with calcium and become denser and stronger over time.


  2. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    972

    Posted On:
    9/11/2012 3:45am


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyB View Post
    Actually that is not true. Producing microfractures to the shin bone makes it create an even stronger bone surface when recovering. So a tad of good rest and calcium nutrition would do much good.

    Wolff's Law

    Wolff's Law is a scientific theory that explains the process of bone adaptation. Just as muscles grow stronger as a result of the restoration of micro-tears in muscle fibres caused by exercise, so too do bones become denser when they repair after a break. When a bone breaks, the body essentially repairs it by filling the break with calcium, which turns into bone. Muay Thai fighters do not break their bones, though. Instead, they cause micro-fractures that fill with calcium and become denser and stronger over time.


    If I recall correctly, this has been debunked a little iin showing that a) there is no scientific proof that the bone mass becomes so dense that it actually makes a difference and that b) when the healing process is done, the increased bone mass actually turns back to normal... something like that. It's been debated to death here on the forum, too.

    It would also seem weird that Thai fighters end their professional careers in their late 30s/ early 40s because their shins are shot when they are supposed to have these super bony shins.

    EDIT: I'm sorry... fell for the necro... in the wrong forum, too.
  3. patfromlogan is offline
    patfromlogan's Avatar

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hilo Island of Hawaii
    Posts
    8,844

    Posted On:
    9/11/2012 1:05pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    EDIT: I'm sorry... fell for the necro... in the wrong forum, too.
    Usually I give J0hnnyB **** for the necro, but it was amusing to read Ronin, myself and VikingPower. Too bad they split. And J0hnnyB, I'd go to the dojo that the OP wrote about. I'm sure your Shotokan is OK, but the KK would probably wipe them out.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
  4. RurikGreenwulf is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ROU
    Posts
    1,239

    Posted On:
    9/11/2012 5:29pm


     Style: Humbleness

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice thread!

    Good old Kyokushin training I remember during a long and hard class during summer
    I asked "Sensei can I drink water?" Sensei replied "NO you are a blue belt"
    Good times
  5. MMAd MMAx is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    9/12/2012 7:50am


     Style: Karate/Judo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In preparation to my 3rd Kyu grading I trained religiously up to 5 times a week.
    I got made redundant during that time but had enough dough to keep myself going, luckily during this time I got a job gardening (this I feel helped a lot).

    One Saturday morning I turned up to class and there were only four of us adults and the rest were children. Sensei decided that he would teach the children whilst he put me up against the other 2 adults.
    1 is a 6ft 5 Shodan with a long reach and kicks like a mule, I'm only 5ft 9. The other is a Ni Dan, similar height and build but over 15 years experience and very very fast.

    I had to fight these guys one after the other for a whole hour.
    Afterwards I wasn't sure if my abs just had a good work out or I was suffering internal hemorrhaging.

    I look back on it all now and it is one of my proudest times.
  6. J0hnnyB is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    9/12/2012 4:46pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Usually I give J0hnnyB **** for the necro, but it was amusing to read Ronin, myself and VikingPower. Too bad they split. And J0hnnyB, I'd go to the dojo that the OP wrote about. I'm sure your Shotokan is OK, but the KK would probably wipe them out.
    Actually I am thinking very seriously to switch to Kyokushin. I found a Dojo that is not a journey away from my place and i'll call them for a tryout. I'm getting sick of my shotokan dojo and the lack of real sparring.
  7. patfromlogan is offline
    patfromlogan's Avatar

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hilo Island of Hawaii
    Posts
    8,844

    Posted On:
    9/12/2012 6:42pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Nice thread!

    Good old Kyokushin training I remember during a long and hard class during summer
    I asked "Sensei can I drink water?" Sensei replied "NO you are a blue belt"
    Good times
    There's some things about Kyokushinkai that I love, but this kind of stuff is what made me a Hawaiian Kempo student.
    1. Spending time doing unscientific warm-ups and stretching. I love the traditions of the importance of fighting spirit and to endure, OSU! But so much of the warm-ups and stretching make no sense at all, and they see no reason to change.
    2.Rigidity - Shihan Lowe yapping at me, when asked about a move in a kata that HAD been taught slightly different, "Kyokushinkai has been the same for fifty years, no change!" And I'm saying to myself, "Oh **** you, Oyama added techniques all the time, but since he died it's become the fucking Bible of KK?"
    3. Toughening techniques and breaking that will cause injuries and arthritis.
    4. Morons telling you that you can't drink water. Macho nonsense, unhealthy.

    Universal Kempo does shrimping and two person guard to side to full reversals as warm-ups...

    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyB View Post
    Actually I am thinking very seriously to switch to Kyokushin. I found a Dojo that is not a journey away from my place and i'll call them for a tryout. I'm getting sick of my shotokan dojo and the lack of real sparring.
    Many years ago the Honolulu Shotokan and Kyokushin dojos would get together to spar every Friday night, but that was Shotokan under Kenneth Funakoshi and those days are long gone.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
  8. RurikGreenwulf is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ROU
    Posts
    1,239

    Posted On:
    9/12/2012 8:10pm


     Style: Humbleness

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    There's some things about Kyokushinkai that I love, but this kind of stuff is what made me a Hawaiian Kempo student.
    1. Spending time doing unscientific warm-ups and stretching. I love the traditions of the importance of fighting spirit and to endure, OSU! But so much of the warm-ups and stretching make no sense at all, and they see no reason to change.
    2.Rigidity - Shihan Lowe yapping at me, when asked about a move in a kata that HAD been taught slightly different, "Kyokushinkai has been the same for fifty years, no change!" And I'm saying to myself, "Oh **** you, Oyama added techniques all the time, but since he died it's become the fucking Bible of KK?"
    3. Toughening techniques and breaking that will cause injuries and arthritis.
    4. Morons telling you that you can't drink water. Macho nonsense, unhealthy.

    Universal Kempo does shrimping and two person guard to side to full reversals as warm-ups...
    I agree with you, I would love a Kyokushin Karate that includes Leg catching, Throws and clinching. I mean come on we are not even allowed to do leg catching.
    Interesting thing about Universal Kempo but I dont have that in my country I will stick to Muay thai and Judo to have a larger skillset
  9. DarkPhoenix is offline
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar

    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hicksville, NY
    Posts
    2,247

    Posted On:
    9/13/2012 7:00am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    I agree with you, I would love a Kyokushin Karate that includes Leg catching, Throws and clinching. I mean come on we are not even allowed to do leg catching.
    Look for Enshin Karate then. It is Kyokushin with Judo. It's t3h d34dly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts
  10. J0hnnyB is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    9/13/2012 3:59pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Look for Enshin Karate then. It is Kyokushin with Judo. It's t3h d34dly!
    Sounds ideal for what i'm looking for but the only guy that does Enshin Karate is so far away from Athens that its a no go. >_<
    In fact all the Kyokushin Dojos are in the range of >10km from my place and commuting is quite expensive now with gasoline prices so high.
    Looks like im stuck with Shotokan atm. Best thing i can do is find a sparring partner and do more Heavy Bag work.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.