Only emotion I could muster after that one was :PokerFace:
    But I know there's worse out there

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 5:19am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...Why is he counting in Japanese?
    Why are they in sparring gear to do kata?
    I think that video actually broke something inside me. I have to go and stare at pictures of kittens for an hour now to try and rebuild that portion of my soul.

Edit: After watching that, I Youtubed "MMA kata" (you see what you've done to me?) and found this:
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 9/09/2012 5:22am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 5:28am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    King without a crown

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 5:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't match that on short notice, but I'll contribute.

Throws on wood floor? Check.

Karate numbchunks? Check.

Not a hint of sparring? Check.

One for the ladies:

This looks all on the up-and-up.

TO FUTURE N00Bz: this is how to start a thread,
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 5:35am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    ...Why is he counting in Japanese?
    Why are they in sparring gear to do kata?
    I'm more concerned with the fact that there is apparently a such thing as "kata" in Muay Thai and they're not just doing pad work...the closest thing to this in my gym is just shadowboxing. And why are they wearing belts? Why is that kid wearing MMA gloves? There's so much wrong here I don't know where to start. I feel bad for those students, the dudes in the back you can just tell think they're learning sweet moves and not doing some sort of bizarre cardio kickboxing thing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 5:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 6:33am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
    That definatly doesn't seem to be a good place to be in if you expect to become a fighting machine. However, the people seemed nice, it seemed like more of a family/freinds dojo than a McDojo. Probably you could do worst sending your kid there. If you want to practice some MA, you don't suffer the hard sparring and intensity in sports MA, you could do worst. As long as you are realistic about your abilities.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 6:35am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    As long as you are realistic about your abilities.
    Yeah, this is where the catch usually is('nt) though

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 7:19am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, i mean, if you do this enough, coupled with general fitness, you will most likely be able to best a non MAist your size in a fight. And that is what most people doing MA want basically. Some advantage come fight time.
    Do you think that if you are your average white color pancil pusher and you train ze deadly BJJ (for example) a couple of times a week you are a deadly mo fo? that can finish bar fights against blue color rough men? You will be surprised how bad it will get and quick.
    People forget to mention that with all do respect for the method practiced and the sparring, there is another parameter and that is the frequency you train. I seriously think that a guy training 5 times a week in Kung Fu will have a better chance than your average twice a week bjjer or what have you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 9:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean I agree totally with your assertion that a person who does McDojo MA for 5 years is probably going to be more fit and thus more capable than your average joe fatass keyboard pusher in a random fight but I'd also argue that the vast majority of McDojos don't actually prepare their students at all for an actual fight (unless they do full contact sparring in which case it's probably legit to begin with) and any half-baked techniques they learn are probably going to go right out the window if said fight happens and at worst will instill a false sense of confidence?

Not intending to be disrespectful here at all and I'm the first to admit I myself am still basically a total noob to the sport I do so it isn't like I'm going to claim I know what's up but I can say that I did check out a few different gyms/schools before signing up to my current one and there are a couple "schools" around here that I checked out before I was encouraged to check out Muay Thai if I really wanted a practical striking art. I almost signed up for the Kyokushin Karate dojo in town thinking it was pretty cool and I'd read that it was a "legit" form of karate (not saying it isn't at all, I still think it's legit, just if you take two people of equal skill I'd probably bet on the nak muay in most circumstances but maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid already lol) and practical in self-defense.

Then I went to the free lesson at my current gym and my then-starting-to-get-skinny-fat ass almost barfed 3x during the 1-1.5 hour lesson alone from how intense it was (and it wasn't very intense at all). When I didn't even break much of a sweat at the couple of free courses the Kyokushin dojo gave I kind of figured out right there that there was something different about it and I haven't looked back since. I'm hardcore addicted to it now.

What bothers me is that if some guys I know hadn't convinced me to find a real gym, as uneducated as I was about McDojos/Bullshido when I first decided to take up martial arts I could see myself joining some Kung Fu/Shaolin/whatever school and drinking the kool-aid thinking I was actually learning how to fight because I didn't know any better and it kind of bothers me that guys like the "muay thai ninth dan black belt sensei" in the video I first posted can sucker the clueless (like I was) that easily with flashy uniforms and a belt system or whatever. I'd be mortified meeting some more experienced MT guys telling them about how yeah I just paid 30$ for my Muay Thai blue belt and having them give me quizzical looks and sort of explain how there is no belt system in Muay Thai and nobody does "Muay Thai kata" because there is no such thing oh also the only belt in Muay Thai that matters says "champion" on it which is exactly what I see happening to the guys in that vid.

Okay I'm rambling now but those are my thoughts on the whole thing
Page 1 of 30 1 234511 ... LastLast