Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 11:38am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Competition advice

I'm competing in a bjj tourney on December 8th in The Good Fight Winter BJJ open. By then, I'll have been training for 6 months. I'm 40 years old and I haven't been this pumped about a competitive sport since I was in high school. My hand was shaking on my mouse when I clicked the process registration button to pay for my entry:)

I've gotta cut weight to under 215 in order to avoid the behemoths. I'm not really worried about that. What I am worried about is my conditioning and finding the time to train. Currently I train jits mon - thurs nights and saturday afternoon for an hour. Sometimes I'll double up on tuesday and thursday depending on how I feel after the first class. I have to admit that I've pretty much given up weight training.

I'm thinking about some form of conditioning training in the early morning, before work from home at around 5 am. My current equipment is a 1.5 pound jump rope, perfect push up, and a pull up bar.

Any Ideas on a workout that will last about 30 - 45 minutes and a schedule to maximize my endurance while not wiping myself out? I'm not against running, but it really is hard on my knees and ankles because I have flat feet. Also, any ideas for low priced equipment that doesn't take up much space will also be appreciated.

Thanks dudes and dudettes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****...I meant to put this in YMAS. Sorry.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 11:45pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    15lbs dumbbell and proper diet.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello RhinoUP, good for you to compete (and good luck in December!)

So you're training 5 times a week? I think that is quite sufficcient for a hobbyist... :-)

I think regular BJJ training under qualified guidance is the best thing to prepare you for the competition, both physically and mentally.

What did your coach advise you to do besides rolling?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 6:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We still do curcuit training which could realisticly be done with a plate.

What we do is work to round times so for us five or three minute sets.
    And then just sort of mix and match exersizes. the guys who do it have some sort of serious plan involved with the exersizes they do but I dont think it is vital. Just get all your body parts.

I hear spawling then pullups suck. Try that
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 6:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies.

Omega. Funny you say that as I picked up 20 pound dumbells last night. As far as my diet, I get really good results from the cyclical ketogenic diet. The one little change I make to it is adding an apple to my preworkout meal which is a protein shake. I test my ketones twice a day and this does not take me out of ketosis during the week. Right now my weight is 228 at around 17% bodyfat.

Yes. Jiujitsu has pretty much consumed my free time. Its good because Im able to spend time with my kids and put them to bed before class. With that said, I do miss classes here and there but always make at least 3 classes a week.

My coach is a very active competitor and has a strength and conditioning coach. From his description, it sounds very much like a crossfit workout. He also agrees with you that training jiu jitsu is the best way to prepare for a competition. What Im really looking for Is a workout that I can schedule 3 times a week in the early am that will increase the size of my gas tank. Quitting smoking has trippled my endurance, but I still find myself completely gassed after my second round of rolling.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 11:40am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well physical fitness I think you got locked down (pun intended). Now if I could just grab you one on one and show you how to cheat the points.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 2:12pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    I'm competing in a bjj tourney on December 8th in The Good Fight Winter BJJ open. By then, I'll have been training for 6 months.
    So right now, you've only trained for 3 months?
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    Quitting smoking has trippled my endurance, but I still find myself completely gassed after my second round of rolling.
    It could be that it has less to do with the size of your gas tank than your fuel efficiency.

Beginners, as a general rule, are very inefficient in their use of energy. As you get better, and as you get more mat time in, you will perform techniques more economically by using better timing and leverage in place of strength; you'll waste less energy on defence as you substitute proper structure, frame, and positioning; and you'll expend your energy at more opportune moments, knowing when you can relax a little and when you need to move explosively.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2012 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. Ive only been training three months. By competition time it will be just about six months.

I'm very much working on relaxing and breathing. I even have my training partners remind me while rolling. It's a process, and I'm improving very slowly. I'm going to be doing interval training with the equipment i have. Gonna go with trial by error and see what works best for me

Posted On:
    9/08/2012 3:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rhino, where you at? You can practice kicking my ass if it will help you get ready (240Lbs). I'm in Jersey by the GWB.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast