Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 9:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD Muay Thai Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about painful workout...

A workout i do to help strengthen my calves is regular jogging, but on the tip of my toes so it emphasizes my calves. The problem is that, i don't normally feel the pain on the day i do it, and usually i only do that for 2 laps, but the day after, my muscles in my calves are COMPLETELY aching. I literally have to walk flat footed without using any muscles in my calves it hurts so much. Try it out if you don't believe me. What i wanna know is, is this safe? I know for sure it's definitely just my muscles were so worked out that it is really sore but is it safe to do this. Is there anything i should be concerned about?

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 10:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingStorm View Post
    A workout i do to help strengthen my calves is regular jogging, but on the tip of my toes so it emphasizes my calves. The problem is that, i don't normally feel the pain on the day i do it, and usually i only do that for 2 laps, but the day after, my muscles in my calves are COMPLETELY aching. I literally have to walk flat footed without using any muscles in my calves it hurts so much. Try it out if you don't believe me. What i wanna know is, is this safe? I know for sure it's definitely just my muscles were so worked out that it is really sore but is it safe to do this. Is there anything i should be concerned about?
    Sweet motherfucking mercy, the **** is this ****, son?

Of course it's fucking safe. It's called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS), and it happens to all motherfuckers who train hard. It's most intense when you have just started doing a particular kind of workout and your muscles aren't used to it and ****. ie it should decrease the more you do the exercise.

The bigger problem is that you jog on the tip of your toes to strengthen your calves. You need to read a motherfucking book or get a workout guidance from somebody. Why do you want to strengthen your calves in particular? Why do you think jogging will do this? If you're going to be anything other than a runner, I would sooner recommend plyometrics like box jumps and ****.

Also, are you jogging on the fucking road? Careful how hard you hit that ****, motherfuckers jumping up and down on asphalt is some high impact **** that can stress the knees and whatnot.

To conclude:
    1. Calm the **** down.
    2. Educate yourself on what exercises do what so you don't spend a lot of time doing useless ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question you're a moron.

Ragingstorm, yes it's fine and normal. If you're not sore the next day, you didn't work a specific muscle hard enough. (a few exceptions here, such as rotator cuffs, ankles)

You are basically running "barefoot" style. Many studies show it's a healthier way to run than a traditional running gait with normal shoes.

Your calves should get used to it after a while, and when they do, run farther so you keep pushing yourself to improve.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 11:26pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Question you're a moron.

Ragingstorm, yes it's fine and normal. If you're not sore the next day, you didn't work a specific muscle hard enough. (a few exceptions here, such as rotator cuffs, ankles)

You are basically running "barefoot" style. Many studies show it's a healthier way to run than a traditional running gait with normal shoes.

Your calves should get used to it after a while, and when they do, run farther so you keep pushing yourself to improve.
    Yes, can we get to the part where you tell him that there are far more effective ways to strengthen calves than running on the balls of your motherfucking feet and ****?

Also: can we get to the part where you tell him that jogging is a low intensity slow twitch muscle fibre using exercise (Soleus) and you need to do exercises that work in those explosive fast twitch muscle fibres (gastrocnemius). Because that **** is fucking crucial.

In one of his other threads he said he is wants to fight in K-1. Which fibres you want more of?

Motherfucking box jumps son. Don't sleep on plyometrics.

And no need to motherfucking thank me, I'm just doing my part to cure ignorance on the internets.
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 11:32pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skipping.

Just google barefoot running. There's a lot of interesting info about it. Personally, if I was going to run, which I don't because I think it is a fruitless endeavour, I would do barefoot running. Except I'd wear those barely there shoes because glass is a bitch on the soles of your feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 11:51pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sprinters run on the balls of their feet. The concept that you will hold that form for distance is kind of insane.

The portion of the minimalist footwear movement I am familiar with usually follows pose or chi running (mostly these are crossfit boys and girls) and both of these approaches advocate a more mid-foot strike.

Long story short, Question has the correct. You want stronger calves? Box Jumps. And if you do it right that **** will hurt.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 12:11am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    Sprinters run on the balls of their feet. The concept that you will hold that form for distance is kind of insane.

The portion of the minimalist footwear movement I am familiar with usually follows pose or chi running (mostly these are crossfit boys and girls) and both of these approaches advocate a more mid-foot strike.

Long story short, Question has the correct. You want stronger calves? Box Jumps. And if you do it right that **** will hurt.
    Totally agree, however, the articles I have read advocated breaking it up, so you do X kms on your front balls of feet, then mid foot strikes the rest, alternating. I can't remember the specifics, because I don't run so don't give a ****. Also, running on sand, running on grass, basically soft ground is apparently the best, I know that is common knowledge, but knowledge ain't common.

I have EXTREMELY high arches and the heel to front foot strikes KILL my heels. That's why I said "personally" and "if".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 12:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Question you're a moron.

erm pain isnt a valid measure of a session's effectiveness.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 1:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    erm pain isnt a valid measure of a session's effectiveness.
    And just when we thought we were getting past the motherfucking ignorance in this bitch.

I believe the ************ said that [you will be sore if you worked hard], not that [once you feel pain your session was effective]. And the ************ is right where strength and **** is concerned. Muscle breaks down and remodels, and that **** hurts somewhat. While you can improve your technical ability without feeling pain and soreness, it is unlikely that you will improve the effectiveness of your muscles without accompanying soreness. Because they must remodel, the theory goes. Do you follow what the **** I'm saying?

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 2:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah you're saying I have to feel sore to get stronger. That's bullshit. I haven't felt much soreness the day after in months, but my squats keep going up. Why doesn't one of you masochists show me a research article linking soreness and strength gains
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast