Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 5:32pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Starting gym, need help

I learned that my university (University at Buffalo) has a very nice gym and I decided to go there.

The problem is, I heard that you need to train efficiently in order to develop muscles/lose fat and avoid injuries. I read several articles and watched some demonstration videos, but they all say suggests different approaches so I am a little confused.

So I hope that you experienced people can give me some tips.

Basically, I want to develop muscles in general, but specifically biceps, tricepts, pecs, and abs. Dumbbell lifting, bench pressing, and squats seemed to be very popular, but how to use them correctly eludes me.

Oh, I said this in my earlier thread, but since I wish to take up boxing, exercises that would benefit it will be helpful too.

I apologize if I am coming off as a noob here and thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 7:31pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dRoy View Post
    I learned that my university (University at Buffalo) has a very nice gym and I decided to go there.

The problem is, I heard that you need to train efficiently in order to develop muscles/lose fat and avoid injuries. I read several articles and watched some demonstration videos, but they all say suggests different approaches so I am a little confused.

So I hope that you experienced people can give me some tips.

Basically, I want to develop muscles in general, but specifically biceps, tricepts, pecs, and abs. Dumbbell lifting, bench pressing, and squats seemed to be very popular, but how to use them correctly eludes me.

Oh, I said this in my earlier thread, but since I wish to take up boxing, exercises that would benefit it will be helpful too.

I apologize if I am coming off as a noob here and thanks in advance.
    Find a good boxing gym and get a free pass on it ask all this concerns to the coach and ask him for a routine

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 8:23pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 11:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dRoy View Post
    specifically biceps, tricepts, pecs, and abs

I suggest you find a program that doesn't suck, get someone who knows how to coach the movements, and do things as prescribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 12:19pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's obviously just a kid. At least he's trying. I didn't go through the arms-and-abs mirror phase myself, but I also first lifting as an adult. Had I started lifting younger, I probably would have done the same damn thing. Most kids are seemingly borderline retarded--I sure was. He just doesn't know what he doesn't know--and it can be overwhelming. Plus, if you're at a commercial gym, most people are retarded regardless of age.

I'd seriously suggest perusing the old t-nation articles and/or hitting stronglifts.com.