Posted On:
    8/16/2012 4:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai Movement Techniques

Hi guys,

I have been doing Muay Thai for almost two years now. Recently I have been having trouble with getting out of situations, trouble with my guard as I keep taking big shots, also I have been finding it increasingly difficult to create openings in my sparring partner's guard.

Do you guys have any solutions/tips which could help me with my movement etc?

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 7:32am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You aren't specific enough, i don't think people will understand what is the problem.
    Watching fights especially fighters that you want to emulate, can help you develop your game, talking to your coach and asking for specific tips, videoing your sparring and analyzing it later.
    You also might want to consider getting a book on the subject.
    P.S you can post those vids here and people can give you pointers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main thing is to relax. Try not to think too much about what you're going to do next as this will delay your reactions (at least it does for me) and will cause you to take more than you hand out.
    also, are you a south paw or regular stance? Are you short, average or tall? All of hese things will have an effect on how you take and hand out shots in the ring.

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 6:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    erezb, thanks for the advice, I had never thought of purchasing a book on Muay Thai before, I have one ordered and should be here this week.

tintin, thanks I know I am pretty tense while sparring so I will try to relax from now on.
    I am 6ft and regular stance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 10:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem mate. Seen as you are already quite tall you could try using more push kicks to the abdomen. When you do (if you're not already) try lifting your leg in an upward swing so that your leg is pretty much extended the whole way and then giving the last little push with your hips and coming up on the ball of your foot for a little extra leverage.
    Also, when checking kicks (again, if you don't do this already) try pushing out with the opposite hand. So you would check with your left leg and push out with your right arm to keep your sparring partner/opponent at a distance. This way, you can bring the checking leg around for a push kick or settle straight in to a chop/roundhouse with the opposite leg.

Also, is it your kick guard or punch guard that is lacking, or both?

Another thing to remember is to keep moving. Make sure you are moving off after each strike or combo unless you plan to follow up with it, then you can start to play around with what works best for you. Taller people will find some things work better for them that average or shorter people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muay Thai 87 View Post
    erezb, thanks for the advice, I had never thought of purchasing a book on Muay Thai before, I have one ordered and should be here this week.

tintin, thanks I know I am pretty tense while sparring so I will try to relax from now on.
    I am 6ft and regular stance.
    If you're looking for more books on Muay Thai, I really like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Muay-Thai-Arna.../dp/1841263281

I've been reading it lately. I find the illustrations fluid and the writing quite accesible.