Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 10:42am

Style: Kempo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crazy Monkey Defense and the Hunchback Stance??

I checked out a school last night called SwiftKick Martial Arts. http://swiftkickma.com/ The school is associated with a program or style called Crazy Monkey. It is not Kung Fu despite the name. It seems like an MMA style based on boxing.
    Here is a youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyMonkeyDefense

I participated in a class last night and it was ok (the place is a little expensive for my budget). We were doing foundational stuff, proper form for jab and cross and hitting focus pads.

They use a stance called the hunchback stance. It is a very defensive stance. Your hands are up by your eyebrows, elbows in tight, shoulders up, midsection tight and back hunched over a little bit. It was uncomfortable as all ****. The weirdest part was the way we had our hips kinda forward. My upper back is actually sore today. Has anyone ever heard of this style? Any feedback or comments are appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 10:48am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done one seminar with a guy who trained with Rodney King, some of the material has been useful to me. Beyond that I can't say a lot about it.

As far as I am aware Rodney King does produce legit fighters though, and they do train alive full contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 11:00am

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My understanding is that this is more of a type of boxing stance or defense than a "style" unto itself. Like an alterative to doing peek-a-boo or philly shuffle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 2:56pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Reluctant Warrior" is not what I would consider a selling point. Otherwise looks like a typical MMA gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:38pm

Style: Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali11324 View Post
    Your hands are up by your eyebrows, elbows in tight, shoulders up, midsection tight and back hunched over a little bit. It was uncomfortable as all ****. The weirdest part was the way we had our hips kinda forward. My upper back is actually sore today. Has anyone ever heard of this style? Any feedback or comments are appreciated.
    From what I'm getting out of this description is that this is from someone who knows what a basic boxing stance looks like but doesn't actually know it. Leaning forward is never a good idea in my eyes; the lean takes away for your ability to use your shoulders and torso to get power for a punch and it would open up your chin due to the need to keep your eyes up to see your target.

A picture or some other equivalent would help with judgement though but out of that description, not good.

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    A picture or some other equivalent would help with judgement though but out of that description, not good.

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali11324 View Post
    I participated in a class last night and it was ok (the place is a little expensive for my budget). We were doing foundational stuff, proper form for jab and cross and hitting focus pads.
    Not to derail this but how did the place compare to the other place you where at? Have you had a chance to make it on down to Judo America yet?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 4:21pm

Style: Kempo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The third video up there is most like what we were doing. We had boxing gloves on so the hand position what a little different. The way our instructor had us do though was more hunched over. His torso was a "C". I wasn't too comfortable with it and I'm a bit skeptical. I can see how it is very defensive but it felt very awkward at the time.

This school is much better than my current school and much more expensive. It is definitely much closer to what we are looking for in a school. We have made the decision to spend this month shopping around looking at schools. I do plan on making my way down to Judo America though. I am not sure if their schedule works for us though.

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I saw what I think I saw in those vids, you have a guy with open elbows, just asking to have his head uppercut into low orbit--after his splayed fingers are pounded into his head and broken by something like one or two well-placed overhands. But hey, free country and all...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 7:24pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast