Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 10:44am

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CCW Decisions: Input Appreciated

I am looking into a CCW, but I suffer (heavily) from buyer's paralysis. I am currently looking at a Glock 19 or 26 on the semi side, or a Ruger LCR/S&W 442 on the revolver side.

Some clarifying factors:

• I would prefer 9mm if a semi, because my wife carries a P7 PSP, and I don't like mixing ammo.
    • I have read MANY arguments about the merits of semi vs. revolver, and I have not reached a definite decision. I absolutely need the pistol to work all the time, and that need for reliability is what led me to the 4 weapons previously mentioned.
    • I am not a particularly knowledgeable shooter. I believe I am middle of the road, but I will research all options thoroughly.
    • I am not dead set on the aforementioned weapons, and I would love to hear your thoughts.
    • I'd like to keep it under $1000 (hopefully not too hard, but it rules out gold plating :P).

Thank you in advance for your help!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 11:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavy View Post
    I am looking into a CCW, but I suffer (heavily) from buyer's paralysis. I am currently looking at a Glock 19 or 26 on the semi side, or a Ruger LCR/S&W 442 on the revolver side.

Some clarifying factors:

• I would prefer 9mm if a semi, because my wife carries a P7 PSP, and I don't like mixing ammo.
    • I have read MANY arguments about the merits of semi vs. revolver, and I have not reached a definite decision. I absolutely need the pistol to work all the time, and that need for reliability is what led me to the 4 weapons previously mentioned.
    • I am not a particularly knowledgeable shooter. I believe I am middle of the road, but I will research all options thoroughly.
    • I am not dead set on the aforementioned weapons, and I would love to hear your thoughts.
    • I'd like to keep it under $1000 (hopefully not too hard, but it rules out gold plating :P).

Thank you in advance for your help!

I don't see the issue with mixing ammo. If you go with one of the revolvers, you're going to end up with mixed ammo around the house anyway. That doesn't seem to be a complete red light for you so I wouldn't rule out larger calibers.

If you're not a very experienced shooter, I would avoid tiny subcompacts. The smaller the pistol, the more skill required to be safe and effective with it. I have a Glock 26 and like it a lot but I would recommend the Glock 19 for a less experienced shooter who wanted a Glock 9mm. The Glock 26 is harder to grip, even with a magazine extension and it's fairly snappy.

You said you're not a very knowledgeable shooter. That means different things to different people. If you think you have the experience to be effective and safe with the subcompacts they definitely are more comfortable to carry. Some people buy a big pistol but don't carry it much because it's uncomfortable. A little gun is better than no gun.

I'm always for semiautos instead of revolvers. Firepower FTW. If you won't take the time to learn to safely operate a pistol as simple as a Glock, then you also won't take the time to learn to safely operate a revolver. I know there are still a lot of revolver folks out there, but the bottom line is they're older technology with no measurable reliability advantages when compared to the best semiautos. Any advantage with respect to ease of use is negligible. Just my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devil,

To clarify what I mean by knowledgable: I'm not military or LEO. I have been shooting for a few years, and I go to the range about once every 2 weeks to practice. I would describe myself as a low-intermediate/high-beginner hobbyist. This is something I both enjoy and take seriously, so I will keep increasing in skill and knowledge. That's just where I'm at now.

How do you carry your 26, and do you have ever feel it's a burden (due to weight or profile)? I'm in a climate where jackets and jeans are the norm 9 months of the year, so I have a lot of options in carrying placement. My current thought is back of the waistband, because it's standard and easy access.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 12:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devil,

To clarify what I mean by knowledgable: I'm not military or LEO. I have been shooting for a few years, and I go to the range about once every 2 weeks to practice. I would describe myself as a low-intermediate/high-beginner hobbyist. This is something I both enjoy and take seriously, so I will keep increasing in skill and knowledge. That's just where I'm at now.

How do you carry your 26, and do you have ever feel it's a burden (due to weight or profile)? I'm in a climate where jackets and jeans are the norm 9 months of the year, so I have a lot of options in carrying placement. My current thought is back of the waistband, because it's standard and easy access.
    It sounds like you should be experienced enough to carry whatever you like.

I have a couple holsters for my Glock 26. Serpa paddle holster, Galco IWB holster. I like the Serpa better but it doesn't conceal as well. I carry it on my hip. I've been thinking about a Small of Back holster, but don't have one yet.

No, it's not a burden. At least no more of a burden than just about any other 9mm. It's pretty small and there are a ton of holsters for it. When I really need to carry something tiny it's a Ruger LCP. But in the winter I'll carry a full sized .45 when I can get away with it.

The thing about jacket weather is that it seems like it would mean you can carry a bigger gun but most people don't wear a jacket 24/7 even in the winter. It sucks going somewhere and sweating your ass off in a coat because you're carrying a 1911. lol.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would prefer 9mm if a semi, because my wife carries a P7 PSP, and I don't like mixing ammo.
    I won't argue this point, as it is more a matter of personal preference. If you have a hot 9mm round, it will get the job done.
    I have read MANY arguments about the merits of semi vs. revolver, and I have not reached a definite decision. I absolutely need the pistol to work all the time, and that need for reliability is what led me to the 4 weapons previously mentioned.
    As semi-automatics go, Glock is as dependable as they come. No frills, not polished and engraved, just nuts-n-bolts dependable.
    I am not a particularly knowledgeable shooter. I believe I am middle of the road, but I will research all options thoroughly.
    Range time is the only answer; try all options and see which one you are comfortable shooting, and accurate with.
    I am not dead set on the aforementioned weapons, and I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Any of the Glock compacts or sub-compacts, Springfield Armory XD series, H&K, or a Sig Sauer will be a dependable and accurate weapon.
    I'd like to keep it under $1000 (hopefully not too hard, but it rules out gold plating.
    You should be able to come in well under your price-point unless you start with the internal lasers or other accessories.
    I go to the range about once every 2 weeks to practice. I would describe myself as a low-intermediate/high-beginner hobbyist.
    Which means you shoot about two or three times as much as most police officers working the streets in any given community.

Last edited by slamdunc; 7/30/2012 1:51pm at .

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:06pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd steer clear of revolvers for concealed carry except in the case of an ankle holster with somewhat baggy pants. The size of the cylinder makes it difficult to conceal without excessive printing even for a five shot under summer clothing. (Yeah, that's subjective as hell. I know.) It's been my experience that thickness and weight are the most important factors in concealed carry.

I'm about 200 pounds and can get away with a full-sized 1911 all year round with a Crossbreed SOB holster and somewhat longish t-shirts. You get in the habit of adjusting your shirt every time you get up, which doesn't appear to be out of the ordinary to a casual observer. But playing pool is right out.

Devil, I'd recommend checking Crossbreed out. I like them a lot, they're quite comfortable pretty easy to get to. They're also built so you can tuck in a shirt while wearing them. All it leaves is a couple black clips visible on your belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick note: There ARE 9mm revolvers out there - I cannot comment on their efficacy.
    I would go with one of the glocks (your choice) inasmuch as I don't like glock personally (they FEEL cheap), they DO have a proven track record of reliability and ease of use and maintenance.
    That having been said - I carry a webley revolver sometimes, but it's usually if I'm all steampunked out (though, it HAS been a while), typically, I have a bersa thunder tucked into a pocket with a couple of extra mags in my backpack. (.380 is on the lower-end of acceptable calibers, I know, but it's so slim and lightweight, I just dig the **** out of it).

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    I would go with one of the glocks (your choice) inasmuch as I don't like glock personally (they FEEL cheap), they DO have a proven track record of reliability and ease of use and maintenance.
    They do have a cheap feel, and my least favorite component is the trigger. I went with a Lightning-Strike trigger, guide-rod (captured), and Tru-Dot night sights and was still in under $700.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    I have a bersa thunder tucked into a pocket with a couple of extra mags in my backpack. (.380 is on the lower-end of acceptable calibers, I know, but it's so slim and lightweight, I just dig the **** out of it).
    I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm as a back-up and as a pocket gun. Like the Glock, it is pretty much idiot-proof; nothing to fiddle with, just point and shoot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome feedback.

I'm a pretty medium male (170 lbs, 5' 10"), so I don't think I'll go the full profile 1911. One thing I have going for me is that I wear a hoodie almost constantly from October to May, so concealing won't be much of an issue.

It's looking like the 19 is a solid option (15 shots is bananas), but I'm curious if anyone else can expound on the differences between that and the 26.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Devil, I'd recommend checking Crossbreed out. I like them a lot, they're quite comfortable pretty easy to get to. They're also built so you can tuck in a shirt while wearing them. All it leaves is a couple black clips visible on your belt.
    Will do.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast