Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 3:31pm

Style: Kempo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Explaining "Aliveness" in a nonthreatening way?

When read articles and watch the videos about Aliveness in the Marital Arts I can see how traditional martial arts teachers would react very defensibly. It is an attack on their core belief system. But how could you introduce the idea in a way that gets around that reaction?

I was at an MMA school for a long time and for various reason left. My kids are 7 and 10 (I'm 39) and we found a school that we can all go to. I really like the guys who run it. It is like a mile from my house. It is the biggest MA facility that I have ever been to. I have a ton of nice things to say about it but . . . As much as they may talk and truly believe their Kajukempo style. The place just does not have the aliveness that it should. The kids point spar once a week and as adults we do no sparring whatsoever.

I genuinely really like these guys and they seem pretty open. On one hand we might have a week or two of excellent boxing drills but then we also have stretches were we practice forms, katas, combinations and kempos.
    I was a blue belt at my other school, but the belts really didn't mean anything. We didn't wear them and the whole "testing" and rank thing was really for the students to feel like they were making progress. But looking at the fundamentals we are learning with a critical eye I am normally impressed by what they are teaching. A lot of what we are learning is good form and good technique but it's like we never take what we learn and practice on a life resisting partner.

The other thing I really like about the school is that the price is right. No fees, no contracts $119 per kid and $90 for me.

I guess what I am looking for is a way to convert these guys from their very "dead" teaching style to a more alive practice. I am looking for a way to casually be like, "Hey,I found this article I thought you might find interesting." Yes it sounds totally passive aggressive, but I am the newest student in the whole place and I'm going to walk in and be like, "Yeah your doing it all wrong".

Edit: I pay $119 a month per kid
    Last edited by Kali11324; 7/24/2012 4:16pm at . Reason: Fixed 199 to 119

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 3:33pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't waste your time.

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 3:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just drive on down to Mira Mesa and go to Judo America it is cheaper and alive out of the box.
    http://www.judoamerica.com/general_info.php#

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali11324 View Post
    The other thing I really like about the school is that the price is right. No fees, no contracts $199 per kid and $90 for me.
    If my math is correct you're paying $488.00 per month for you and your two kids to train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kali11324 View Post
    I am the newest student in the whole place and I'm going to walk in and be like, "Yeah your doing it all wrong".
    Approach is everything, but if you're shelling out that much green, surely they're going to want to listen to your ideas.

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 3:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is there such a difference in rates?
    That sounds pretty expensive, for a product you are clearly unhappy with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    If my math is correct you're paying $488.00 per month for you and your two kids to train.
    Approach is everything, but if you're shelling out that much green, surely they're going to want to listen to your ideas.

I am a total retard. I am paying $119.00 a month per kid.

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 4:18pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7 and 10 are much better off learning judo. May not be a interesting to them. Talk to them.

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 4:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do believe I said this in one of your other threads
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Na, I don't think I am going to rip on it. Assuming you have poked around this site since Dec 2007 that you should already know most of the red flags and all the other BS. Honestly if what you want is a fun place to go and burn some calories that are close to home who am I to tell you that you are wrong.
    Sounds like you want more then that now time to move on

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Just drive on down to Mira Mesa and go to Judo America it is cheaper and alive out of the box.
    http://www.judoamerica.com/general_info.php#
    Mira Mesa is a bit of a drive and it would be in traffic on the 15.
    I found another place right in my area that looks pretty good: http://swiftkickma.com/ After I wrote the OP I shot over there for shits and giggles to check it out and I caught the owner there training. It seems good. I asked him if he had ever heard of the concept aliveness in the martial arts and he knew all about it. We talked for a while and I really liked his outlook. I signed myself and my kids up for a free class next week. One little thing that did send up a flair though was when I asked him about pricing. He said that they have several different packages including family discounts, but he would go over that with me after I took my free class next week. To me that translated to expensive and he wants me to test drive the product before he hits me with the price.

With that said, I may end up taking a ride down the 15 to Mira Mesa sometime.

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 4:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $119 seems pretty high to me, your in San Diego its one of the best cities in train BJJ the rates are cheap because of the competition something like 70 schools in the county and we have some top notch people that have trained some awesome instructors such as
    Fabio Santos
    Dean Lister
    Saulo
    Xande
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast