Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 9:55am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long Pants

Okay just to start out this is more about personal dress choices in the striking arts, if this is in the wrong spot I'm sorry it is related to Karate though. Basically just wandering what you guys think, I have seen this video a couple times and have mo problem with his skill he's pretty good. I just wander when he is going to trip over his pants.
    I know from my own dogi pants I like them either at the top of the foot or a few 4 inches below the knee, but I have seen a few people wearing them in this style. To each their own but I just curious any of you guys "sport" this style and if so, have you ever fallen?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have my gi pants tailored to be a little above the ankle, higher than my normal pants. Not so much to keep me from stepping on them, but to keep other people from stepping on them when moving in a clinch or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 2:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I have my gi pants tailored to be a little above the ankle, higher than my normal pants. Not so much to keep me from stepping on them, but to keep other people from stepping on them when moving in a clinch or something.
    Yeah I like wearing mine just above the top of my foot, it helps keep them out of the way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 3:41pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a little off topic but the sound in this video makes the guy seem really strong.

Like Street Fighter, only missing a red headband and a torn up gi. And Hadouken...

Why I thought this comment was worth posting is beyond me...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have really short stumpy legs and was always tripping over my gi pants, these days I either train in shorts or get my wife to hem my training pants so they're well above my feet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 7:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    This is a little off topic but the sound in this video makes the guy seem really strong.

Like Street Fighter, only missing a red headband and a torn up gi. And Hadouken...

Why I thought this comment was worth posting is beyond me...
    yeah the pants remind me of a stylized karate manga ya know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 3:10am

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I did kendo (it was only for a few months), my hakama was a little above my toes and I would sometimes have trouble with my toes getting caught up in the pants when I was doing footwork. They suggested that I hem the hakama, but I never really got around to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 7:22am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can just tie a hakama to make it shorter. I like mine above the ankle....

Anyway, same for pant leg length. Mine are above the ankle, on all may pants. Maybe the guy in the video was just breaking in a new dogi before it shrunk in the wash?

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 7:48am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a guy trip in a hakama once, and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

He got his first foot caught inside the leg of his hakama, and quickly stepped with his other foot to recover his balance. Unfortunately, his other foot got caught inside its own trouser leg, causing him to stumble further, recover-stepping with the first foot. The first foot went even further up the leg it was already caught in.

It all seemed to happen in slow motion.

The poor bastard literally ran up the inside of his own hakama like a hamster in a ball, until his face hit the floor.

I swear I nearly wet myself laughing.

OT: I hated the transition to shorts when I started Thai Boxing. As a lanky guy, it made me feel really self conscious, but now my preference is knee length shorts for pretty much any training.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    You can just tie a hakama to make it shorter. I like mine above the ankle....

Anyway, same for pant leg length. Mine are above the ankle, on all may pants. Maybe the guy in the video was just breaking in a new dogi before it shrunk in the wash?
    maybe but I have seen others wearing them at that length
    by choice, another thing that maybe could have happened was that his pants were slipping off. If you have ever wore a traditional
    draw string pant they can untie themselves and that is never fun.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast