Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 6:15am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Using a 12 oz karate gi for judo?

Okay let me get this out of the way, I understand that the two gi do different things and that the judo gi is designed for the stresses put on them and most karate gi will tear but the 12oz is pretty thick.
    The reason I ask is that I will be taking a judo class in college at some point for my p.e. credit and I'm cheap... oh and out of work lol, but I have my karate gi It's a century 12oz heavy weight.
    So if anyone has any experience with this or just basic advise from the judoka and jujutsuka I would be greatly appreciative.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better off getting a single weave judo gi.

Material weight is not going to offset the rigors judo will play on the stitching. A cheap single weave will be cheaper than your current 12oz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:18am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's this whole thing about having proper gi if you plan on competing too...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 10:42am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to know thanks, don't want mess up my 12 oz so I will wait a little longer and get a single weave, any suggestions on a cheap site, if ya don't mind.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try it out and let us know

If your gi gets ripped off of you we will all have learnt a valuable lesson
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 2:26pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I often use my brushed cotton Tozando karate dogi for aikido class, which is no problem, and occasionally for judo and jujitsu. I like it in the summer because it is much lighter than my heavy ass single and double weaves. I went through a stage where I bought way too heavy judo uwagi and now I regret it. I can't wait for them to wear out so I can get a lighter single weave, but the damn things don't wear out! There are some lightweight single weaves, like Seersuckers, but I don't know how durable they are as I've owned the same judo style uwagi tops for years. Actually, my favorite judo to is a cheaper basic Century...its my least expensive one, but its nice and light and the collar doesn't choke me out just by standing there.

Back to wearing a karate dogi in judo, I recently did this and thought I heard a seem tear while working with my partner. Turned out is was just his fingernails scraping on the brushed cotton of my top but it still made me really nervous and scared I was going to get a seem tear. Once those tears start they just get worse. Ever since then, the one or two times I've worn my karate uniform to judo I've been really self-concious about it and its effected my training to the point where I do, or don't do, thing I normally would out of fear of getting a tear.

Also, the ties hanging off a karate uniform bother me a little when rolling or doing judo tachiwaza.

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A karate gi will be torn off your back regardless of weight, dont waste your money.

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a karate guy at my local club who trained for several months with his karate gi, before he bought a Judo one. His gi wasn't like any other karate gi I've seen though it was made out of a very tough, almost canvas, type material and could take quite the battering.

So if you have something like that it might survive. If not then, well don't complain if your gi ends up getting ripped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 3:51pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    There's a karate guy at my local club who trained for several months with his karate gi, before he bought a Judo one. His gi wasn't like any other karate gi I've seen though it was made out of a very tough, almost canvas, type material and could take quite the battering.

So if you have something like that it might survive. If not then, well don't complain if your gi ends up getting ripped.
    Hey, Judoka, check your PM.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post

I used to have one like that that I picked up at an expo somewhere, damn thing could practically stand up on its own without me in it.

It survived several years of hard randori in various styles, but as you said, its not like any karate gi (or even Judo gi) I've seen since.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast