218284 Bullies, 9316 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm Svelte!

Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassThree FriendsYour first Group

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Doofaloofa do Taekwondo

My latest foray into the crazy world of TKD point sparing

...feed back is appreciated

Over 18's minor grades section...I'm on the left

Then the veterans section (on right)

(on left)

Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 6:37pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen or tried TKD point sparring. Are the rules significantly different from kickboxing/karate point-sparring? What strikes are you allowed? There seemed to be a lot less hands being thrown than I'd expect in those other disciplines.

You were very guilty of going back and forwards in a straight line, and so were your opponents for that matter. Do you blitz?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 9:32pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop hesitating. Close the distance and follow through on your strikes. Drill your basic kicks more. Keep your hands up. Be more aggressive and keep moving forward.

I'm surprised that your 2nd opponent didn't punch you in the face 20 times, but his execution was poor... Point is, your hands were completely down for most of that match. Keep em up!

Your last opponent kept landing those lunging backfists on you because you're stalling and backing up. You should be moving forward and executing.

Don't worry so much about parrying and blocking attacks, as defensive moves are normally more reflexive anyway... Concentrate on closing the distance and landing your strikes.

I'm Svelte!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 1:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I've never seen or tried TKD point sparring. Are the rules significantly different from kickboxing/karate point-sparring? What strikes are you allowed? There seemed to be a lot less hands being thrown than I'd expect in those other disciplines.
    Thanks. More points for a kick than a punch so kicks are emphasised. All strikes above the belt bar spinning back fist (i got a warning in the second fight for that)

You were very guilty of going back and forwards in a straight line, and so were your opponents for that matter. Do you blitz?
    by blitz do you mean a flurry of punches?

Thanks Tex...I've got plenty to work on
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 2:43am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    by blitz do you mean a flurry of punches?
    It's a footwork technique, as demonstrated here by Billy Bob Thornton:

They're not very far apart in that vid - in a match you'd be out of kicking range, then use that footwork to close the distance super fucking quick. Put a backfist-reverse punch combo on the end of it then break off at an angle.

Work on your sidekick - you could be using it to score at will against those guys. The sliding side kick, where you lift your lead leg then slide on the back foot is harder to read and quicker to land. You'll be able to get it out faster than other kicks which means you can use it to counter when your opponents throw those hopping front push kicks.

And like Tex said - engage more. Don't stand in your opponent's range and wait.

What made you start doing this? Is it something you've done in the past?

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 2:56am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome back! when you land on your lead leg after a kick you should follow with a few strait punches, especially if the guy is in range, if you throw them with some intent it will rock his head back and prevent him from really kicking, besides if you close the distance he won't be able to kick properly. Just when you punch, punch more like a boxer with your chin down and shoulders and hands tight and up . It is also not a crime to use some head movements against their punches.
    Finally work on doubling up kicks and jabs when the second strike is harder and longer.

I'm Svelte!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 3:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And like Tex said - engage more. Don't stand in your opponent's range and wait.

In the first two fight i was pretty sure I had a good points lead so I decided not to engage and wait for my opponant to make a mistake

I think in the vets section I was a little intimidated by the other guys (I'd watched the previous section that they all competed in) and I was a little shy to get stuck in

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 4:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant the TKD/points. You were doing a CMA previously weren't you?

Oh, and good to have you back.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 7:05am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    ...feed back is appreciated
    Don't do point sparring.

I'm Svelte!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 7:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant the TKD/points. You were doing a CMA previously weren't you?
    I was (and still am) training in TKD and judo concurrently. The CMA has since stoped due to injury of the shifu, replaced with a begginners MMA class

Oh, and good to have you back.
    Thanks. Good to be back
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast