Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 10:31am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

choy lee fut video

OK so i have never taken choy lee fut. But kung fu is really interesting. I know kung fu is a broad term but i have seen choy lee fut demonstrations and they are very cool to look at. I noticed this school...i was wondering if people could comment on the techniques on the first video as to whether they are a decent show of choy lee fut technique

http://www.lethbridgekungfu.com/picsandvids.html

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shokenman View Post
    OK so i have never taken choy lee fut. But kung fu is really interesting. I know kung fu is a broad term but i have seen choy lee fut demonstrations and they are very cool to look at. I noticed this school...i was wondering if people could comment on the techniques on the first video as to whether they are a decent show of choy lee fut technique

http://www.lethbridgekungfu.com/picsandvids.html
    doesn't look good to me. find out if they put fighters into full contact fights (sanda, kickboxing, mma, lei tai, anything *full contact*) if they don't, then they aren't a good school.

from that website, it doesn't look like they spar each other much if at all, and it doesn't look like they compete, but ask anyway to see.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 10:57am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no they don't compete.....they spar with each other though.
    heres a vid

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    doesn't look good to me. find out if they put fighters into full contact fights (sanda, kickboxing, mma, lei tai, anything *full contact*) if they don't, then they aren't a good school.

from that website, it doesn't look like they spar each other much if at all, and it doesn't look like they compete, but ask anyway to see.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh*

you're trolling.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shokenman View Post
    no they don't compete.....they spar with each other though.
    heres a vid

are they noobs?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did choy li fut for about a decade. I didn't really like their videos. Their sparring one is not good- all kinds of flailing and hopping around. Their applications had random cross steps which I don't approve of, even though they're common in CLF forms. The form video by Sifu Simon Siu looked pretty good, but their other form video was not so impressive.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the instructor page:

"Wholly believing in the philosophy that ďa chain is strongest at itís weakest linkď, Sifu Damon encourages his students to learn at their own pace..."

Huh? A chain is strongest where it is weakest? That's deep man, that's deep.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoa.

At least the background music wasn't "The General's Mandate".

Obviously the forms are what they are, and watching kids do forms is not something that typically would impress anyone at Bullshido.

Sifu Allan seems to be somewhat fast and skilled, but I don't know anything about his background or qualifications.

These pics might shed some clues...

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/03/2012 12:36pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't care for the applications shown with the cross step w/ gwa choi followed by unwinding into gwa/kup or whatever.

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 1:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wth?

... Wholly believing in the philosophy that “a chain is strongest at it’s weakest link“, Sifu Damon ...
    +1 on everything Permalost said.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast