Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 12:22am

Style: 武术

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ho-I Kung fu in Columbus : Alive or Dead?

Hey all,
    As I am in the process of finding a new school to train at, I've been doing my do-diligence and one that I have found seems on the surface to be a real possibility. It's called Ho-I Kung-fu (located in Columbus Ohio), I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the studio and could give me an idea if it uses an "alive" training style?

I talked to the owner (Matt Mollica) on the phone and had a pretty long and positive conversation (straight answer about pricing, no "we can make you a black belt in XX months B.S) so I have high hopes.

Thanks in advance,
    -Mike

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 1:41pm

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not ask if you can try a class? Then write about it here, particularly if you're still not sure.

Edit: found the website, I doubt it's very alive. The only thing that looked promising was that one instructor has a judo background but...wooden floors?

Ask if their students compete at things like this:

Sanshou in Columbus OH

If you're dead-set on finding something Chinese maybe find a place that competes alive like that.
    Last edited by Wing-Kwan-Fu; 6/24/2012 1:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 4:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Kwan-Fu View Post
    Why not ask if you can try a class? Then write about it here, particularly if you're still not sure.
    I should have mentioned in my OP that I'm going in tomorrow to see the school and I've already set up a couple trial classes. I also took the time to read the sticky in newbietown about finding a good school, so we'll see how the training stacks against that.

I have to agree that the website is a little off putting, though they did mention in a couple of places that two of the instructors have san shou backgrounds. Guess I'll see if there's any truth in that tomorrow.....

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 4:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what if they have alive backgrounds? Some of the top Ninjers have judo backgrounds. That doesn't guarantee that they still train alive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, it is no what they may have done in the past is no guarantee of what they are doing now, but it at lest shows the potential for contact training.

That brings up the point though that you can put what ever the hell you want on a website. With that in mind I went and did some basic online research and the owner is listed on the US Shuai Jiao association at the rank he claims on the site. I know nothing about Shuai Jiao or which assoc. are legit or not (anyone on here have any ideas?), so it could still be a lot of smoke.

Once again though, his being listed has no correlation with whether it's an alive school or not, or it being a Mcdojo or not.

Should have a better idea of what this place really is after seeing the place and doing some training session.
    Last edited by Bondzy; 6/24/2012 6:29pm at . Reason: spelling erros

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 12:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shuai jiao is like judo without the ground game. So good if trained alive

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 6:27am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On what planet is this a Review?

Moved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about that, didn't read closely enough.

as for the first day experience it was kinda a mixed bag. Walking into the school I saw a lots of sparing equipment (what looked like 16 oz gloves though I guess they could have been 12's or 10's & boxing head gear) laying around and there were 11 80 lbs bags and 1 heavy body bag (120lbs?) hanging around the training area.

then comes the training. Unsure how in detail I should be here but the format followed the same format of every other MA class I have ever been in. started off with basic blocking then kicks and then a open hand strike that was something like left hook (front arm for me as I box south paw). These were then preformed with a partner holding focus pads and finally we did some light sparing where one person attempted to use that open hand left hook to pull down the other partners guard while the other guy attempted to block the attack and counter with a strike of his own. The guy I was partnered with really made me work to break his guard but as we we're not using pads he couldn't hit me very hard when I left an opening.

we did not get to practice any Shuai Jiao (what I was really interested in). So at this point I going to go another two or three times to give the place a chance (as I can't really expect to get to go full contact on the first day) but I'm going to also keep looking as well b/c I'm really looking for a place that I can go in, train hard, get and give some lumps and really see if what I am learning works or not.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 11:03pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe this guy:

is one of their guys. So it looks like they do real SJ. I seem them around town sometimes when I'm in C-bus for MA stuff, and it seems like at least some of them know how to throw.

You can always flat-out inform Mr. Mollica you're primarily interested in Shuai Chiao. I'm pretty sure that they have a few locations around town, and there may be a location or set of days you could attend that would be more focused on the grappling.