Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 10:43am

Style: tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cult and occult in the martial arts

I have recently been informed that a Kung fu school in London called Nam Pai Chuan and headed by Sifu Christopher Lai, practices "Blood Oaths". This is where a student is persuaded to ricite some garbage in a incensed smoked filled room, declaring undying loyalty to Sifu Lai and seniors and all ancestors. After this, they are required to sign a paper, prick their finger and leave a bloodied fingerprint next to their signature. This is usually only offered to students who is thought to be of above average ability, or who Lai deems may be useful to the school and himself in the future. This smells of cult-like behaviour to me! Though the participants of this BS may be (hopefully) all consenting adults, this kind of cult-like behaviour can be dangerous to the more the vunerable members of society. Let's face it there are many who start training in the martial arts because they feel vunerable and afraid.

If this is true, then this trash needs to be stopped now! There is no place for this kind of demi-god-like and manipulative behaviour in martial arts.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds cool to me. I would do it. I'll talk to my coach about it tonight.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 10:54am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw something of a cult like loyelty in a gung fu place, they had hirarchy, who could be closest to the trainer . He shouted and threatened them if they did something wrong, the whole thing was very weird, i guess the trainer was this charismatic narcissist.
    Any who yet another reason to hate Kung Fu.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 10:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fivecracked88 View Post
    I have recently been informed that a Kung fu school in London called Nam Pai Chuan and headed by Sifu Christopher Lai, practices "Blood Oaths". This is where a student is persuaded to ricite some garbage in a incensed smoked filled room, declaring undying loyalty to Sifu Lai and seniors and all ancestors. After this, they are required to sign a paper, prick their finger and leave a bloodied fingerprint next to their signature. This is usually only offered to students who is thought to be of above average ability, or who Lai deems may be useful to the school and himself in the future. This smells of cult-like behaviour to me! Though the participants of this BS may be (hopefully) all consenting adults, this kind of cult-like behaviour can be dangerous to the more the vunerable members of society. Let's face it there are many who start training in the martial arts because they feel vunerable and afraid.

If this is true, then this trash needs to be stopped now! There is no place for this kind of demi-god-like and manipulative behaviour in martial arts.
    You need to shut the **** up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply.
    But don't hate the style, there are good styles and teachers. This kind of thing happens in other styles of martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    You need to shut the **** up.
    You need to grow-up...Prat!!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have recently been informed that a Kung fu school in London called Nam Pai Chuan and headed by Sifu Christopher Lai, practices "Blood Oaths". .

Have you actually witnessed this, or is this hearsay?

And why do you care? And what is the evidence of manipulations that you speak of?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 12:38pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to grow-up...Prat!!
    I'm not the one who went on a rage post in the OP about cultural practices of which I have absolutely no understanding.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a student is persuaded to ricite some garbage in a incensed smoked filled room, declaring undying loyalty to Sifu Lai and seniors and all ancestors.
    And I thought I had it rough doing wide horse-stances for ten minutes at a time back in my Kung Fu days. Sifu never asked for blood; then again, maybe he didn't think I was above average ability. I never got the incense either; that Tiger Balm was awesome though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Diesel_tke;2697878]Have you actually witnessed this, or is this hearsay?

Yes I have witnessed it.

And why do you care? And what is the evidence of manipulations that you speak of?[/QUOTE

Why shouldn't I care?

Regarding manipulation...I'd rather not say just now.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast