Registered Member

Style: 
    Heiwa Na Kaimetsu

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aliveness in video

I like this. I do, however, believe that aliveness is used only after you spend a bit of time with NO resistance and a lot of staticness, so you can get techniques out of your mind and into your limbs. Aliveness is definitely required for anyone above the lowest ranks. Nice video.

Style: 
    FMA

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by horukye View Post
    I like this. I do, however, believe that aliveness is used only after you spend a bit of time with NO resistance and a lot of staticness, so you can get techniques out of your mind and into your limbs. Aliveness is definitely required for anyone above the lowest ranks. Nice video.
    I think most here will agree you. I feel like some people new to this site might get the vibe that we don't value dead drills and other non-live training methods. Both training methods are useful and valid for both experienced and new martial artists. The main difference? A person training live drills will be able to apply techniques in a shorter time frame, a person training compliant drills may take years to reach the same level if ever.

I'll add to your comment: "aliveness is required for anyone above the lowest ranks". Some schools only allow blackbelts to spar because everyone else is a "newb". Some BJJ clubs even require newbs to train for some time before being allowed to roll.