Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 11:17am

Style: Xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Adam Hsu's The Sword Polisher's Record

I'm sure there's been discussion on it (couldnt seem to get the search function to agree with me) but I've gotta say I really really love this book. I honestly can't say I've read a more honest account of wushu from a traditional martial artist. The way he tackles misconceptions is very very surprising for a man that has spent the majority of his life studying these arts, and you can definitely see the frustration he must have experienced in his search for "the real" kung fu and a master that would actually teach him a valid fighting method.

Thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 12:39pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is, this book has been added to my wishlist. Thanks for the recommendation. What has your experience been re: studying the Wudang arts? I have only dabbled slightly in internal MA, but I really think they're pretty awesome and hope to train more seriously if I ever move into an area with a good school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    All I can say is, this book has been added to my wishlist. Thanks for the recommendation. What has your experience been re: studying the Wudang arts? I have only dabbled slightly in internal MA, but I really think they're pretty awesome and hope to train more seriously if I ever move into an area with a good school.
    I've studied Baji since I was younger. I think its awesome, i think the expressions of power are very satisfying, the movements are very applicable. It's not very good from a long range (i suppose thats what pigua curriculum is for) but if you're a shorter, stockier guy like me its perfect. I need to find another teacher when i go to grad school.

I'm still a noob regarding Xingyi. Started last semester. My teacher teaches Sun Xingyi(knows Cheng Bagua and mantis as well). I really like it. It has helped me soften up and relax. I think the emphasis it places on full body mechanics for power generation is really efficient and helpful. Luckily i found a school with emphasis on sparring and conditioning as well. i really like its so called internal aspects as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So your Xingyi school also emphasizes sparring? That sounds incredibly awesome. As a fellow grad student, congrats on taking the plunge into progressively higher and higher education!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    So your Xingyi school also emphasizes sparring? That sounds incredibly awesome. As a fellow grad student, congrats on taking the plunge into progressively higher and higher education!
    The idea is to level up everything right, body mind....

Yeah. Basic sparring starts out with people doing 2 man drills of the 5 fists, then the instructor will tell people to free spar but to apply only one or two tecchniques, and eventually it turns into free sparring. I gotta say if you let people free spar from the beginning it just kinda turns into people kickboxing with palm strikes.

I still have a ton to learn and improve as far as developing body structure and mechanics, as well as setting things up. Im using the summer for conditioning and 5 fists practice while im away from my teacher.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 2:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    Im using the summer for conditioning and 5 fists practice while im away from my teacher.
    Awesome. Hope your workout plan works out!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 3:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    The idea is to level up everything right, body mind....

Yeah. Basic sparring starts out with people doing 2 man drills of the 5 fists, then the instructor will tell people to free spar but to apply only one or two tecchniques, and eventually it turns into free sparring. I gotta say if you let people free spar from the beginning it just kinda turns into people kickboxing with palm strikes.
    Yes, many beginners say this and guess what? It still looks like "kickboxing" with CMA flavor when you train in the way you described outside of your school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 4:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The striking arts law of entropy: all things decay over time into kickboxing given a naturalistic system. One hopes that the specific art involved adds something special though.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 4:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you hope it trains you effectively. Looking for that "something special" led to 100% of the problem in CMA IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 4:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. I was thinking that learning different strikes motions footwork etc might lead to forging a fighter who fights DIFFERENTLY if not better. I see your point though you cant wish for magic to make you good at fighting if you don't actually fight.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast