Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 12:34am

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grappling Light Bulb Moments

Ok, so this is my first post in this thread. A little background on myself first: Did a few lessons of BJJ/Gracie Jujitsu in 1993 (college) never stuck with it (dumbass) then joined the US Army in 1998 and did Gracie Combatives during and following RIP. After I got out I did a few open mat sessions in Concord NC, then joined a gym in Gaston County NC. Spent about 6 months there till the funds ran dry but had a small group that would meet in my garage for rolling and about a dozen or so privates from a good BJJ BB. Sporadic rolling sessions in my garage till I was forced to sell my mats for monetary reasons. Finally I got serious again and joined a good gym. I say all that to say this and then ask for advice. I have a decent but sporadic grasp of grappling and am really trying to learn the technique part of it not just the grappling (what I mean by that is I want good technique to go along with a good fundamental knowledge of grappling). So anyway today we had open mat and during the matches I went against higher ranks then me. I got tapped of course and got a few taps. But I felt like I was seeing more, reacting better and just letting it flow. My instructor even commented when we were grappling that my counters and sub attempts seemed like they flowed and were not thought out. He gave me major props. Ok so all that background to ask this: Do you guys have lightbulb moments? Or moments when your grappling seems to make a giant leap forward? If so, how do you explain it and what is the best thing to do to capatalize on it? Im not looking for that one technique to use but maybe a mindset or strategy to work on to enhance my game. Thanks in andvance and sorry for being longwinded

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 3:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about first off, try using paragraphs. I can barely read that mess.

Second, yes, and keep practicing with your insight(s) in mind. They will go away if you do not do that.

Third, keep practicing with good instructors and lots of different training partners.

Fourth, keep practicing. I had a big "aha" moment in Judo regarding my favorite technique (a throw), that I though I was an "expert" at, after 25+ years in Judo.

Fifth: Keep practicing
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 4:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    How about first off, try using paragraphs. I can barely read that mess.

BKR

Second, yes, and keep practicing with your insight(s) in mind. They will go away if you do not do that.

Third, keep practicing with good instructors and lots of different training partners.

Fourth, keep practicing. I had a big "aha" moment in Judo regarding my favorite technique (a throw), that I though I was an "expert" at, after 25+ years in Judo.

Fifth: Keep practicing
    BKR:

Ill use paragraphs next time, point taken, my apologies. So, keep practicing? Any other thoughts on keeping that insight in mind? Im sure with 25 plus years you had many AHA moments.

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 4:31am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108818 This is a great thread to read through ranger joe. While it says "ultra noob tips" it has a whole hoard of info that's awesome that you could be doing unconsciously or whatever.

Big ones for me:
    - Moving around the person, not moving them
    - chaining like attacks/sweeps from certain positions to open up mistakes
    - The basics are king, master them and you've got the basis for a life time of grappling
    - Lead with your feet, not your knees on weird/awesome rolling over people sweeps/pendulums/transitions
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 4:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger joe View Post
    BKR:

Ill use paragraphs next time, point taken, my apologies. So, keep practicing? Any other thoughts on keeping that insight in mind? Im sure with 25 plus years you had many AHA moments.
    No problems, someone else was going to comment on the paragraphs, might as well get it out of the way.

The only way to get better is to practice, that's trite but true. OK, practice correctly.

What I did in the one case of a throw, Ippon Seoi Nage, was to use the insight to monitor my performance in drills and randori (sparring). Once I discovered/had revealed to me how it was supposed to really feel when done correctly, I could us that to judge my performance and modify accordingly.

Those sorts of "aha"moments are nice, but are no replacement for good training-good instruction, good training partners, and lots of it/them. 90%+ of my personal progress has come from that sort of dedication.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 4:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BKR: Yeah I should have seen the **** storm coming with the no paragraphs. I appreciate your time and advice. Obviously I plan to continue training and good practice. I don't think it was "trite" in fact its gold.

Mr. Miyagi: Good info from you as well. I appreciate it. I will read the outlined post many times in hope to take things away from them. Hopefully ill update down the road on more "lightbulb" moments, but in the mean time its back to training.

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 11:00am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a wonder word for stuff like this :)

Obvious Epiphanies
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62601

The thread is pretty good and a great way to "shortcut" by seeing what more advanced people have felt was a revelation to them.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido