Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 8:34am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice needed

I'm not sure if this is even the proper place to post this in but...

I'll try to make this short. I've been out of martial arts for a year and a half after pinching a nerve in my neck and having an MRI. After bouts of physical therapy, I finally had a two-level, anterior cervical discectomy and fusion done in March and can return to normal activity on June 30th.

Here's my thing: I obtained my blue belt in TKD right before the injury and diagnosis of degenerative disc disease. I got my blue belt through an ATA school. Although I thought my school was one of the better ones, there are a few things I'm not crazy about with ATA, such as having to sign a contract, emphasis on board breaks, etc....you all know the story.

My dilemna...where I live are only two schools. One is the ATA school I went too, and the other is a school of Tang Soo Do which looks highly respectable. Here is the info about the school:

http://www.northamericankarateandfitness.com/

I'm debating on whether or not to return to ATA and get a black belt through them since I was halfway on the journey (it will take another year and a half to get a black belt) or should I challenge myself with a school that looks more reputable? I don't mind starting over as a white belt. Honestly, I'm leaning more towards the Tang Soo Do school but wanted some opinions.

I'm 51 and other than the recent surgery, in very good shape. I'm already back to working out, but lightly. My goals are not only the fitness aspect, but to learn REAL self defense and have some fun while doing so. I work a full time job so I'm not going to be training to fight professionally at my age.

Feedback is appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 8:59am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFMAS View Post
    I'm not sure if this is even the proper place to post this in but...

I'll try to make this short. I've been out of martial arts for a year and a half after pinching a nerve in my neck and having an MRI. After bouts of physical therapy, I finally had a two-level, anterior cervical discectomy and fusion done in March and can return to normal activity on June 30th.

Here's my thing: I obtained my blue belt in TKD right before the injury and diagnosis of degenerative disc disease. I got my blue belt through an ATA school. Although I thought my school was one of the better ones, there are a few things I'm not crazy about with ATA, such as having to sign a contract, emphasis on board breaks, etc....you all know the story.

My dilemna...where I live are only two schools. One is the ATA school I went too, and the other is a school of Tang Soo Do which looks highly respectable. Here is the info about the school:

http://www.northamericankarateandfitness.com/

I'm debating on whether or not to return to ATA and get a black belt through them since I was halfway on the journey (it will take another year and a half to get a black belt) or should I challenge myself with a school that looks more reputable? I don't mind starting over as a white belt. Honestly, I'm leaning more towards the Tang Soo Do school but wanted some opinions.

I'm 51 and other than the recent surgery, in very good shape. I'm already back to working out, but lightly. My goals are not only the fitness aspect, but to learn REAL self defense and have some fun while doing so. I work a full time job so I'm not going to be training to fight professionally at my age.

Feedback is appreciated.
    Martial Arts should be fun for you if you are feeling in the Tang soo do mood I say go for it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 9:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Real self defense? You aren't going to find that in most schools including TKD and Tang Soo Do. You need to talk with your doctor and see what movements they want you doing at this point. How you feel and what sport your body can handle are two different things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Real self defense? You aren't going to find that in most schools including TKD and Tang Soo Do. You need to talk with your doctor and see what movements they want you doing at this point. How you feel and what sport your body can handle are two different things.
    My doc essentially said I can skydive if I want..no restrictions, but in the back of my head I certainly don't want to risk injury to the neck area again since I have hardware in there now. I haven't lost much range of motion at all and am in good health so the doc has put no restrictions on me. I don't want to do any grappling where I'm going to be in a choke hold of course or slammed on my head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 9:48am

Style: Enshin karate and Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is there no way you could train and just duck out on the techniques that could cause a repercussion, a very good friend of mine who i train with broke his back (being chased down some stairs by a fat bird = very amusing to me as i know him and said lady), when it comes to anything that could injure him, he just takes a step out and practices something else, saying that the sensai thinks he could be competing in the next six months which could cause problems.

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My doc essentially said I can skydive if I want..no restrictions, but in the back of my head I certainly don't want to risk injury to the neck area again since I have hardware in there now. I haven't lost much range of motion at all and am in good health so the doc has put no restrictions on me. I don't want to do any grappling where I'm going to be in a choke hold of course or slammed on my head.
    No chokes but kick to face=ok?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 9:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    No chokes but kick to face=ok?
    That too has crossed my mind. Supposedly, once the fusion fully takes, it shouldn't be a problem, but yes, still the idea of even a kick to the head is a concern, especially early on. The surgery I had is essentially the same one Peyton Manning had and he can return to football.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 9:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy82 View Post
    is there no way you could train and just duck out on the techniques that could cause a repercussion, a very good friend of mine who i train with broke his back (being chased down some stairs by a fat bird = very amusing to me as i know him and said lady), when it comes to anything that could injure him, he just takes a step out and practices something else, saying that the sensai thinks he could be competing in the next six months which could cause problems.
    That is a possibility as well. I know they would allow that if I returned to ATA.

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That too has crossed my mind. Supposedly, once the fusion fully takes, it shouldn't be a problem, but yes, still the idea of even a kick to the head is a concern, especially early on. The surgery I had is essentially the same one Peyton Manning had and he can return to football.
    My point was that you might want to reconsider your stance on a grappling art.
    You can tap to a choke early, you can't undo a headshot.
    If it were me i'd be more concerned with the latter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 4:20pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're comparing yourself to a world class athlete who is considerably younger than you as well. If self defense is your concern, Id consider a firearm or tazer, given your circumstances. If its about fitness, then surely there are plenty of low risk activities you could be doing.

After all that, if you still want to pursue MA, then take a style that doesnt kick to the head, like Isshin Ryu Karate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast