Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 8:11am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Harnish-fechten

A friend posted this on another forum.

I loved the knock-down from the Murder Stroke at 51 sec. Absolutely beautiful and matched the historic docs. Lovely.

I also loved the pole-arm winding at 1:44. Nice control of the opponent's weapon. He didn't exploit it well, but that's no big deal. Luck, experience, and any number of things affect that.

Stolenbjorn Wrote:
    Me and two others have been fiddeling with some harnish-rules for HEMA, and here's a video showing some highlights from the first tournament where the rules were tested out for the first time.

The rules are quite simple:
    Longsword-halfswording:
    Thrusts to armpits, innside of the hands, innside of the elbow, back of the knee = 3 points, thrust and pommel-strike to head=1p

Polllaxe:
    Thrusts to armpits, innside of the hands, innside of the elbow, back of the knee, strike to the head = 3 points.
    Thrust towards the face and strike on other parts of the body=1 point.

First to 10 points or max 1,5 minute fight. A successful takedown where you stay in control makes you reaching 10 points and ending the fight.

The rules is intened to reward use of historical tecnhiques as shown in the manuals, and make the fights resemble how we believe a real medieval fight in harness would look like. We use plastic waisters and rubber pollaxes at the moment, but provided enough participants are able to get sufficiant harness-protection, we're considering doing the tournaments with metal blunts (with tips wider than the eyeslits of the Bacinets).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2012 6:27pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before watching the video I had my usual concerns of "ugh point fighting with SCA-looking dudes". After watching the video I am pretty stoked on this. The dudes were fighting with earnest intent, good deflections and distance-closing, and techniques right out of the manuals. And of course the 00:51 Mordschlag was fantastic, especially considering that the swords appear to be (or at least similar to) Cold Steel poly swords and I guess I wouldn't expect a synth-material sword to have such an umpf on an armored opponent. I approve.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2012 9:01am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Before watching the video I had my usual concerns of "ugh point fighting with SCA-looking dudes". After watching the video I am pretty stoked on this. The dudes were fighting with earnest intent, good deflections and distance-closing, and techniques right out of the manuals. And of course the 00:51 Mordschlag was fantastic, especially considering that the swords appear to be (or at least similar to) Cold Steel poly swords and I guess I wouldn't expect a synth-material sword to have such an umpf on an armored opponent. I approve.
    I agree. I really liked the way it went. I also felt that the participants missed a lot of chances to steal balance, use leverage, and engage hips during grappling but that comes with practice and this is fairly new. Here's what the OP replied:

...As you noticed, we're scrappy, this was the first time we tried the half-swording and pollaxe full-speed, full-contact in armor. Some of us have tried this stuff in gymsuits and fencing masks, and the difference is immence.

Firstly, you don't get enough oxygene, a claustrophopbic experience that adds to the stress-level.

Secondly, the vizer gives a severe restriction to sight, which makes it virtually impossible to see oppertuneties.

Thirdly the weight and movement-restriction of the harness gives new weight-points, and desturbes fluency in techniques we have drilled in without harness. Personally, I'm not that bad at HEMA-wrestling, but I am so much slower in harness, that I need to train several hours/weeks/months to re-ajust to the increased weight and movement-restriction
    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2012 12:01pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    I agree. I really liked the way it went. I also felt that the participants missed a lot of chances to steal balance, use leverage, and engage hips during grappling but that comes with practice and this is fairly new. Here's what the OP replied:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    There were some missed opportunities and I'm kind of surprised is that I didn't see many more take-downs. But, similar to his response, I imagine that doing Ringen in a harness is something that you specifically have to train for. By that I mean you not only need experience in unarmored wrestling, but you also have to consistently practice wrestling while in harness just as often to compensate for the way the armor seems to mess with your senses and ability to leverage the other guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 2:56pm

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    There were some missed opportunities and I'm kind of surprised is that I didn't see many more take-downs. But, similar to his response, I imagine that doing Ringen in a harness is something that you specifically have to train for. By that I mean you not only need experience in unarmored wrestling, but you also have to consistently practice wrestling while in harness just as often to compensate for the way the armor seems to mess with your senses and ability to leverage the other guy.
    My first response was to be critical of the Ringen, but then I read the OPs quote. I wish I could afford a decent harness; a great deal of HEMA is focused solely on Blossfechten right now, but at the sacrifice of a good deal of material in the fechtbucher.

I am glad to see someone getting good use out of Purple Heart Armoury's poleaxe, mine basically occupies wall space right now. Anyone know how they held up?