Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 10:03am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Low Blood Sugar

No real point to this post, other than a warning to other fat, lazy people or anyone I guess

I've done nothing for 18 months, various injuries and excuses blah blah blah

New place opens up and I go for an early morning session 6:30am. I'm genuinely motivated to get back into it.

I'm old, Fat and just on the tail end of a Chest Infection.

Quick warm-up on the treadmill for ten minutes manage a couple of sprints, out of puff but things aren't nearly as bad as I expected. Guy comes over and offers some help as it's only the 2 of us in there. Then half way through a set of shoulder presses with low weights I'm hit with a sudden bout of dizziness and nausea.

Kind of like your first ever BJJ or Muay Thai Class when you are really out of shape and you don't realise your pushing it too far.

Except it's getting worse, I'm really feeling dizzy, I tell the guy I need to stop and stumble outside into the fresh air, my vision is getting blurry my hands are shaking and I'm really hot, so I sit on a wall, guy comes out to see me and asks if I'm all right, Then i'm laying down over the back of the wall not sure how I got there, then im out.

I realise im laying outside in the rain, manage to regain my senses and we go back inside. Guy makes me a cup of sweet tea and within 5 minutes I'm fine.

I go home and check my blood sugar, (wife is a diabetic trained nurse, we have a home pharmacy) Blood Sugar, is really really low and have to sit through a lecture from her.

So my glorious return to the world of exercise has involved having a hypo and passing out.

So tomorrow I will be having my oats and a banana before I go anywhere.

I would not wish that experience on anybody, I've been choked out and knocked out, but that was real scary ****.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has experienced this? Weather you take any special action other than making sure your fuelled before you exercise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 10:48am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being the inconsistent idiot that I am, I go through phases where I don't train for years and then jump straight back in, so I'm quite familiar with this sort of thing. I've never quite passed out from it though.

Recently I've tried eating a pack of raisins and mixed nuts between work and training and it seems to help quite a lot.

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 3:14pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superangryfish View Post
    No real point to this post, other than a warning to other fat, lazy people or anyone I guess

I've done nothing for 18 months, various injuries and excuses blah blah blah

New place opens up and I go for an early morning session 6:30am. I'm genuinely motivated to get back into it.

I'm old, Fat and just on the tail end of a Chest Infection.

Quick warm-up on the treadmill for ten minutes manage a couple of sprints, out of puff but things aren't nearly as bad as I expected. Guy comes over and offers some help as it's only the 2 of us in there. Then half way through a set of shoulder presses with low weights I'm hit with a sudden bout of dizziness and nausea.

Kind of like your first ever BJJ or Muay Thai Class when you are really out of shape and you don't realise your pushing it too far.

Except it's getting worse, I'm really feeling dizzy, I tell the guy I need to stop and stumble outside into the fresh air, my vision is getting blurry my hands are shaking and I'm really hot, so I sit on a wall, guy comes out to see me and asks if I'm all right, Then i'm laying down over the back of the wall not sure how I got there, then im out.

I realise im laying outside in the rain, manage to regain my senses and we go back inside. Guy makes me a cup of sweet tea and within 5 minutes I'm fine.

I go home and check my blood sugar, (wife is a diabetic trained nurse, we have a home pharmacy) Blood Sugar, is really really low and have to sit through a lecture from her.

So my glorious return to the world of exercise has involved having a hypo and passing out.

So tomorrow I will be having my oats and a banana before I go anywhere.

I would not wish that experience on anybody, I've been choked out and knocked out, but that was real scary ****.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has experienced this? Weather you take any special action other than making sure your fuelled before you exercise.
    What do you mean "really really low"?

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am hypo glycemic.

Try the glucose tabs that melt in your mouth that are sold at Walgreens. Carry those w you to class. Also, the better shape you get in, the less you'll be using them.

--------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 1:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP may also want to rethink their diet as a whole. Hypoglycemia would scare me away from recommending anything aggressive like low-carb, but getting most of his carbs in the form of frequent small doses of soluble fibre and amylose (taken together, and preferably with some protein and fat) rather than amylopectin and/or sugars should help smooth out the highs and lows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 7:28am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    The OP may also want to rethink their diet as a whole. Hypoglycemia would scare me away from recommending anything aggressive like low-carb, but getting most of his carbs in the form of frequent small doses of soluble fibre and amylose (taken together, and preferably with some protein and fat) rather than amylopectin and/or sugars should help smooth out the highs and lows.
    THIS IS 'MURRICUH (**** yeah). SPEAK ENGLISH OR GIT OWT!!!!

--------

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 9:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been taking gatorade with me to the gym for years, for this reason. I am old and fat also...

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 10:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gatoraid is pretty good. I just don't like their flavors. Pink power aid is better IMHO.

--------

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 3:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can I get some numbers here? Was your blood sugar low like 3.8mmol (or around 65mg/dl), or was it low like 1.5mmol (30mg/dl), because if it was the latter than for the love of mercy get worked up by a motherfucking doctor before something really bad happens. Motherfuckers do die from hypoglycaemia, you know.

Also, did you see any flashes of light, or things twinkling in your visual field (it's not particularly important, but I would like to know... You know, that kind of **** gets me excited...sexually).
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 4:02pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Can I get some numbers here? Was your blood sugar low like 3.8mmol (or around 65mg/dl), or was it low like 1.5mmol (30mg/dl), because if it was the latter than for the love of mercy get worked up by a motherfucking doctor before something really bad happens. Motherfuckers do die from hypoglycaemia, you know.

Also, did you see any flashes of light, or things twinkling in your visual field (it's not particularly important, but I would like to know... You know, that kind of **** gets me excited...sexually).
    That's why I asked what he ment by real really low? Hell, he's probably at 100mg/dl and thinking that's low.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast