Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 7:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

solo workouts to strengthen core?

I went in for my first bjj class last night, and after the warm-up, I realized that was slowing the line due to my core being a little weaker than it should be.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips on some things I can do at home to help build up my hips and core? Unfortunately, I don't have a workout partner at home, so things I can do individually would be ideal.

:foreveralone:

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 8:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sprally planks.

1 minute of sprawls.
    1 minute planks
    1 minute side plank
    1 minute other side.
    1 minute sprawls
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 8:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean you were shrimping/hip-escaping down the mat and not going very fast?

In your first class this is likely to be at leat as much technical as any kind of conditioning issue. I wouldn't worry about accessory work so soon, just concentrate on getting to class as often as you can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Do you mean you were shrimping/hip-escaping down the mat and not going very fast?

In your first class this is likely to be at leat as much technical as any kind of conditioning issue. I wouldn't worry about accessory work so soon, just concentrate on getting to class as often as you can.
    It wasn't the shrimping part, I did a little of that and was just okay. The part I struggled with was a partner drill: one person stands, the other lays on their back and hooks their feet behind the standjing person's knees. The standing person then walks backwwards, and you have to shuffle on your hips down the mat. Not sure what that's called...

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 11:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're probably trying to do it while you're flat on your back rather than turning on your side, facing towards the hook you're pulling on. Especially as a beginner, you'll almost always find that things only seem like they take a lot of strength if you're doing them wrong.

(With the obvious exception of exercises which have strength building as a goal)

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a workout that's pretty hardCORE. Plus, you get to feel like you're Tom Hardy, yay!

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building...arrior-workout

However, have you talked to your instructor about the perception you made? Looks less like an objective issue, but more like *n00b disease*. (I don't grapple, I just really wanted to point to that excellent workout.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 1:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    This is a workout that's pretty hardCORE. Plus, you get to feel like you're Tom Hardy, yay!

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building...arrior-workout

However, have you talked to your instructor about the perception you made? Looks less like an objective issue, but more like *n00b disease*. (I don't grapple, I just really wanted to point to that excellent workout.)
    I have not as of yet, but I'll definitely bring it up when I go back in.

The reason I'm pointing to core is the fact that legs up and hooked on the opponent's knees caused a lot of fatigue in my core. My hips are okay, very soft....but I definitely need to be able to keep my legs up while on my back and I couldn't do it.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to put this all to work...you guys are awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 8:35pm

Style: Boxing and Moo Duk Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ab Rollout
    Seated Russian Twist
    Cable Rotation
    Planking
    Bridging
    Reverse Crunches or Crunches

Plenty of rotational core and core stability exercises here besides the crunches, and they have multiple variations to them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 1:05am

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beastskills.com. Don't run away when you see it; they have progressions and you'll get stronger quickly. Also, if you know how to use it, An Ab wheel is a surprising alternative. For my money, I do quadrupedal movement (advanced crawling) and jumps. But like the man said, some things get better only with practice.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 12:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    However, have you talked to your instructor about the perception you made? Looks less like an objective issue, but more like *n00b disease*.
    This. Odds are that the movement you described is an unfamiliar movement pattern for you right now, and so you're doing it with undertrained musculature in an uncoordinated way.

The good news is that there's an easy way to fix that: keep practicing. With a bit of deliberate effort, your task-specific conditioning and coordination will improve quickly.

Then come back and we can talk about getting you strong!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.